Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Beaver County)

Default Left Hand AR-15 Rant

What the hell is the point of a left hand ejection rifle when the all of the controls remain the same on the lower half? I was looking at building a lefty friendly AR and it's really frustrating that Stag, Rock River Arms, etc consider a rifle that ejects from the opposite side with no other changes to be a lefty rifle. I don't want an ambidextrous selector for the same reason I don't want a right hand selector; the damn lever gets in the way of my grip when I use my left hand! Lefty magazine releases cost about as much as the stripper lower and then you can't use a Magpul BAD so you've got to the decide which is more important. Piss on left side ejection. There's a PDQ but you've got the cut shit out of the receiver to install it. Damn it.

Default Re: Left Hand AR-15 Rant

The amount they sell is small so most companies don't bother. Most lefties have figured out that they can run a standard right handed AR fine. The few that do have issues use some of the bandaids available like ambi lowers, ambi charging handles, saftey selectors like the BAD with interchangeable ends and etc.

I guess now you know how a righty feels when shooting around a right side corner! Sucks don't it?
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Lancaster County)

With a BAD lever you close the bolt with your thumb as you put the mag in with the right hand...can't get much faster than that.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Allegheny County)

How do you feel about can openers, scissors, circular saws, and just about every other tool designed to fit in the hand?

I'm a lefty. I understand your point completely, but let's face it, it's a right handed world. We're lucky firearms manufacturers are even attempting to consider us, as we are such a small segment of the market. They don't profit off of us; at best it's a wash, to make lefty specific tooling, and still sell at a right handed price.

As both a designer, and a lefty, I could go on for hours about how things are designed around righties, and even those designing them don't know it. Carry a frame-locking pocket knife? The lock mechanism is designed to be pressed with your right thumb, allowing you to fold it back up one handed. Try it in your left hand - can't do it. Grinding wheels and circular saws both throw their debris in your face if you use them left handed. Like I said, I could go on and on.

At least you can get left hand ejection for an AR. Want much more, expect to improvise or pay large premium.

(Berks County)

I'm right handed. It's not all peaches and cream over here either. I hate finger grooves! The polymer strikers like glock mold them in on everything. They fit my left hand but not my right. They are ugly. Every finger grooved grip is butt ugly. Every last one. Ar grips have the groove. Crap.

(Fayette County)

Hell, get a Tavor.
    It's a south paw's best choice.

(Northampton County)

MSL, you have just used your last rant for 2015
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

(Allegheny County)

Don't use a ambi safety selector, use a left handed selector. Or grind off the right sided lever on the ambi.

https://www.stagarms.com/safety-selector-left-handed/
    Toujours prêt

(Berks County)

I'm a lefty. I built a lefty AR. Takes some getting used to. I put a Stag Arms Ambi Safety, a Knight's Armament Ambi Mag Release and a lefty detachable carrying handle on it. Satisfied with it now.
    A Republic, if you can keep it.