Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Positive Police Thread: Share your experiences.

Many of us tend to share our feelings and experiences about the "bad stuff".

We make a complaint about "bad service", and we feel the need to "vent" when we think we've been taken advantage of, but it's not that often that we take the time to give praise when it is deserved.
    (Whether talking about LEOs, business, politicians, etc.)

This is really a simple concept... think about it for a second, and if you can think of any personal experience, or have heard of an encounter with a law enforcement officer that was a positive one, let's hear about it.

Was there a traffic stop that went better than expected?
    Did an officer go out of his/her way to assist?
    Did you see or hear something that made you smile?

I'll start.

Not long ago, a drug dealer moved out of the neighborhood. We breathed a sigh of relief as the steady stream of low-lifes stopped since they had to go elsewhere to buy their drugs.

Then we saw it again... the unmistakable signs of a drug buy about to happen. A car that didn't belong to anyone who lives in the area was sitting in a place where nobody ever parks. I made a mental note of the time, and in a few minutes, another car pulled up, the driver of the first car got out and made the buy. We decided to call the police.

I had little to no hope that they would care, let alone respond, as we had a very bad experience with the police in the past concerning drug dealing neighbors.(But this is a POSITIVE thread, so...)

A patrol car arrived a few minutes later. We provided the officer with descriptions of the vehicles, as well as a plate number for the "seller's" car.
    He was very polite, and thanked us for calling. He said he knew exactly where the guy lives, and that they have been trying to "get him".

I don't know if it was due to the NRA shirt I was wearing, but he suggested that we do not approach these individuals, but rather give them a call if we see this behavior again. He said, "It's scary how many 14 year old kids we find running around with guns these days". I assured him that I knew better than to get directly involved, and would call if we continued to see the drug dealing.

All in all it was a very positive experience. He was polite, professional, and truly seemed to be interested in what we had to say. I regret not asking for a card, as I can not recall his name.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Positive Police Thread: Share your experiences.

One of my better ones is already documented here:
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...start-way.html

Though I have a lot of contact with the PD as a Voly FF/EMT, and in general, they are all "good" people, just thrust into a very bad world and stressful job. I do, however, feel that there are a few out there who are true JBT's. I've interacted with them on a professional level as well as on a citizen's level, and they seem to act the same either way.
    Last edited by lildobe; August 4th, 2008 at 02:59 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by lildobe View Post
    One of my better ones is already documented here:
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...start-way.html

Though I have a lot of contact with the PD as a Voly FF/EMT, and in general, they are all "good" people, just thrust into a very bad world and stressful job. I do, however, feel that there are a few out there who are true JBT's. I've interacted with them on a professional level as well as on a citizen's level, and they seem to act the same either way.
    Agreed, but rather than debate whether police are good or bad here, I'd just like to see posts that share something "good".

Thanks for sharing your link. I'll check it out later.

My buddy & I had a good experience just on Saturday.
    My friend is big time into bows, makes his own strings, fletches his own arrows has a bow press & everything, even a 10yard target in the basement. Needless to say that most people he knows has him work on their bows. This equals a lot of people coming and going from his house...his neighbor thought this was unusual. On Saturday there was six of us in his basement BSing when his wife yells down "The cops are here." So after our exchange of WTF looks he goes upstairs to see whats up. Then he comes back down with the cops laughing and joking with them. Turns out his neighbor called urging the police to investigate dozens of men carrying black cases into the house, of course the neighbor made it sound like we were the fucking cartel. After about an hour of BSing with the cops the one officer decided it was time to go and "pay a follow up with the neighbor."
    We don't know what happened in the follow up but my buddy got a long appology from the neighbor.

(Allegheny County)

I saw a guy the other day. He had on a uniform, badge, and pistol. He was driving a black and white car with lights on top.

I am positive he is a Police man.
    Koli's back from Ambler.

(Philadelphia County)

Positive experiences with police officers:

Andy Trautmann teaches several basic pistol courses to non-LEOs. He is a good guy.

http://users.zoominternet.net/~pat02..._offerings.htm

(Westmoreland County)

I was on my way to a gunsmith having some work done on a ruger rifle when along the way my transmission failed. Two kind souls in a pick up towed me with a chain to a vacant business parking lot so I could get my truck off the road.

I could not get a cell phone signal so I decided to walk about a quarter mile to the crest of the hill and a clearing in hopes of getting a cell signal.

No luck but a local power company had an office and maintenance depot there but unfortunately, being a weekday, it was just past 5pmn and the office was closed. However, I heard a radio in the depot and there were doors open so I ventured in and called out hoping someone was there to let me use a landline but nobody was there.

Someone from a neighboring house must have seen me milling around and reported it because a few minutes later I see a PSP patrol car pull into the parking lot. I flagged him down and told him the story.

He kindly radioed the barracks and they put a call through to the gunsmith but his line was busy. Tried several times but kept getting a busy signal. Finally, he offers to drive to the guys place even though I had never been there before and wasn’t exactly sure of the gunsmith’s location. The barracks finally got through and he met us at an intersection.

This Trooper really went out of his way to lend a helping hand. He was a younger guy too, probably in his late twenties out of the Clarion Barracks.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Philadelphia View Post
    Positive experiences with police officers:

Andy Trautmann teaches several basic pistol courses to non-LEOs. He is a good guy.

http://users.zoominternet.net/~pat02..._offerings.htm
    Didn't know he was an instructor at Targetmaster, but I've assisted on training exercises for the SWAT team he is part of. I must agree he's a squared away guy.

(Montgomery County)

Last year, around Christmas Time, I was heading down 291 from the airport towards Boeing.

I was driving a leeeetle fast, as I needed to relieve my parents from watching my 2 year old and head out for an evening they had planned... they would not leave her unattended needless to say, but would be upset at missing the concert they were to attend in philly later that evening.

As I passed officer smiley, he puled me over, and asked if I knew why I was pulled over... I did not, but was certain that he would make it clear to even the most casual observer why I was pulled over. I stated I was heading home to relieve my parents of their responsibility, and my employer decided to keep me late... etc. I don't get to see her often.. etc.

I provided documentation, and for some reason... my LTCF. he asked where it was, and stated that it was in the center console. he stated to leave it there, and thanks for the heads up.

He returned with a warning on my speed and stated to get home as safely as possible. I went on my way and he went on his.

(Montgomery County)

most of my experiences with police are good, some were horrible (guns pointed on learning of LTCF or such)

I havent been pulled over in years now, but the last time was by a certain officer in my old neighborhood of Towamencin Twp.

The week before, this officer stopped in to a local vid store where i knew the owner, and happened to be talking to the owner.
    The officer dropped off his movies, went back out to the Crown Vic squad car, and it would not shift into gear from park.

At the time, i was driving a used unmarked Crown Vic, and knew exactly what happened...theres a shift safety solenoid that has to be activated by pressing the brake.
    the wire connecting this is easily kicked off the connector if yer not careful.

The cop was lamenting the fact that he now has to call a tow truck to get his car, and now the "other guys" back at the station were gonna razz him for "breaking the car".

I told him i could fix it in under a minute if he wanted me to try.
    Whipped out the pocket knife, grabbed the connector, stripped the wire, and stuffed it back in the connector.
    Clipped it back on, tried the shifter and it worked fine.

I told him to get the car back and get it fixed before it happened again, but IF it happened again, i showed him what to do.

He thanked me, and went his way.

A week later, he pulled me over for speeding 45 in a 25.
    He came up to the window, recognized me, and said "One good turn deserves another, keep the speed down, and have a great day" and drove off.

Another was a GIANT black VA State trooper tht kept me from physically assaulting a jackass from of all places, Hazzard Co Kentucky.

I was out on a date in College with my best buds sister (and he didn't know about it either, i'd been told to stay away from her)
    At a stoplight, this jackass ran into the back of my car at about 30MPH which resulted in Cathy bouncing her head off the dash, and getting knocked out.
    I saw her unconcious, and lost my shit, i thought she was dead...i couldn't feel a pulse, but i was a little woozy from hittingt he wheel.

I got out of the car, and this kid walks up and says "Sorry man, i was messing with the radio and didn't see you were stopped."

I pulled back my right arm to blast him, and the arm wouldn't go forward.
    I looked back, and this HUGE VA trooper (who was at the front of the line of traffic) is holding my arm, who says "I doan think thet'd be a gud ahdea, suuunnnn"

Cathy woke up a minute later, with a big red bump on her forehead.
    We had some serious splainin to do to my friend as to why she was in the car with me at 1am....

life is funny, but on average, aside form cop freinds, most of the cops I've interacted with over the years have been utter jackasses, for no good reason.
    Last edited by JayBell; August 4th, 2008 at 02:28 PM.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast