Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ruger American Predator, Savage Hog hunter or something else?

This year will be my 1st time getting out for deer season so I am in the market for an entry level deer rifle. After going round and round with different options and set up's reading a few dozen articles and watching 3x's that in video reviews I think I have it narrowed down to either the Ruger American Predator line in .308 or the Savage Hog Hunter also in .308.

They are very close in price the Ruger about $30.00 less if I purchase on line. It sports a 18" medium profile threaded free floated CHF barrel, stock is aluminum reinforced and piller beaded. It also includes a standard pic rail mount.

The Savage Hog Hunter has been around for a number of years now built of the proven 11/111 platform shortened to a 20" threaded medium profile barrel and comes standard with iron sights which is kind of nice. It sports the kick ass Savage AccuTrigger which I really like. Only ding that I have read about it is the no frills stock and so far the only affordable aftermarkets replacements are Boyds wood or laminate.

I want to keep this rifle short and light while retaining as much range and accuracy as possible. Unfortunately I ripped myself a hernia sometime over the past 3 weeks and at times the pain is pretty bad especially when carrying stuff. Things as light as a gallon of water are enough to heighten the pain enough making long walks uncomfortable. Surgery will come next but after the new year.

Any other recommendations are also welcome. My 1st rifle trip out is planned for December 4th so I have a little time to make an educated decision and put together a good set up.

Here's a pretty good article on the Ruger from a review that expected little from a sub $500.00 rifle. The only difference is his was chambered in 6.5 Creedmoore which sounds like a great round but is pricey and appears hard to find even online from the ammo dealers I typically use.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/100...ican-predator/

(Somerset County)

Default Re: Ruger American Predator, Savage Hog hunter or something else?

I have a ruger american compact in 243 (got it for my grandson but hes too young to go yet) I ended up carrying it last year. very light weight and the overall shortness is very handy. now I know the full size stock will add about a inch and a half but the barrel is about the same but the predator barrel is a bit heaver. this is about as light a center fire rifle that I have found thats affordable. the 70 degree bolt lift is pretty nice and with the light barrel it is pretty accurate (nothing to brag about but not bad). I have a savage rifle with the accutrigger and the ruger trigger is just about the same feel. I have never held a savage hog hunter but I know the savage guns are very good now. As a side note i changed the stock on my stevens 200 to a boyds laminate stock and it really increased the perceived weight quite a bit. the gun shoots and looks great but its seems a lot heavier to carry now.

Thanks for the info from what I read the Savage is a bit heavy espically if your brush hunting or have long hikes. It's also good to hear the Ruger version of the AccuTrigger is very comparable to the Savage.

(Berks County)

Since you have the hernia, have you thought about a 357 or 44mag revolver? How are you planning on dragging the dead deer out?

(Warren County)

What are you gonna do with a dead deer if you can't carry 8lbs of water without discomfort?
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

New to PA I needed a non semi auto to hunt, I opted for the Predator. Topped it with a Nikon 3x9x40 w/ Nikoplex reticle, it's lite and accurate. All for a little more than $500. $378 for the rifle and $150 for the scope. Dealer bore sighted it and it is dead on at 100 yards after a one click left adjustment. Can't wait for Bear next saturday. Good Luck, go Ruger...

Quote Originally Posted by markshere2 View Post
    What are you gonna do with a dead deer if you can't carry 8lbs of water without discomfort?
    We have 4 wheelers to get any kills out at this particular location as well
    as a front end loader since it's a working farm.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Operator View Post
    New to PA I needed a non semi auto to hunt, I opted for the Predator. Topped it with a Nikon 3x9x40 w/ Nikoplex reticle, it's lite and accurate. All for a little more than $500. $378 for the rifle and $150 for the scope. Dealer bore sighted it and it is dead on at 100 yards after a one click left adjustment. Can't wait for Bear next saturday. Good Luck, go Ruger...
    Thanks for the information did you go with .308 and what dealer did you get it from? That was a kick ass price.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Thanks for the information did you go with .308 and what dealer did you get it from? That was a kick ass price.
    Had it on order in PA fo several weeks, but wound up purchasing it at Big Dog Firearms in Rosco, NY. Walked in with a neighbor who was looking for holsters and low and behold, he had 2 on the rack.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Operator View Post
    Had it on order in PA fo several weeks, but wound up purchasing it at Big Dog Firearms in Rosco, NY. Walked in with a neighbor who was looking for holsters and low and behold, he had 2 on the rack.
    Thanks for the information going to try and find one locally this week if not will be ordering it online.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast