Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Unhappy I screwed up, big time

I attempted to load 38 Smith & Wesson for the first time. After completing about 80 of them I happen to notice a couple were double charged, which got me to thinking, how many of the 80 are overcharged. I'm not about to fire a double charged bullet out of a 75-year-old break top gun. The bullets are seated in so deep, all attempts with a bullet puller proved fruitless. I'm ready to scrap them but HOW is the question? Any ideas? Thx

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: I screwed up, big time

Quote Originally Posted by joeyj View Post
    I attempted to load 38 Smith & Wesson for the first time. After completing about 80 of them I happen to notice a couple were double charged, which got me to thinking, how many of the 80 are overcharged. I'm not about to fire a double charged bullet out of a 75-year-old break top gun. The bullets are seated in so deep, all attempts with a bullet puller proved fruitless. I'm ready to scrap them but HOW is the question? Any ideas? Thx
    Just keep banging that bullet puller (I assume you are using a kinetic puller). Eventually it should come out. In the meantime, store them in a container that is clearly marked DO NOT USE.

These arent full wadcutters, are they?

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by joeyj View Post
    Burn it in a controlled manner (eg, one where even the rounds popping when they cook off won't kill you or others) or dump the lot into water or oil for about a week (on the theory that'll disable the primers unless you sealed them like ft knox) and bury the remnants in your backyard.

Two houses ago, my local PD would take unused/old/bad ammo and dispose of it. Don't know how/where.

(Montgomery County)

County bomb squad would be an option, but that could bring official scrutiny to your reloading

(Montgomery County)

If you do not have a kinetic puller, then best to burry it or drop it in a very deep body of water. If you bury it, be certain to do it where it will not likely be dug up by some unsuspecting person. Make a placard in a plastic bag that says something like "Live ammunition buried below this notice. Do not attempt to access it." That way if some person with a really good metal detector gets a reading off the ammo and attempts to dig to find out what is there, he will come to the warning before the ammo. How deep is deep? I say about 3 feet.

(Beaver County)

There are non kinetic pullers.

(Perry County)

Uncontained ammunition burning is a minimal threat. The case bursts, there is nothing to contain the "explosion" i.e. chamber so the bullet has no force to become a projectile.

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=8842
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Westmoreland County)

Yes There are non kinetic pullers. several reloading companies sell A collet puller, It would not work on a lead wad cutter bullet. I have pulled many Military Jacketed bullets with my RCBS.

(Berks County)

Speed but not hard hits. Its inertia not pounding nails. They will come out.

(Montgomery County)

Burying them in the backyard would be about the ultimate last resort.
    You made them unsafe, it's your responsibility to make them safe. Burying them and hoping no one ever digs them up in the future seems a cop out.
    How about using a Dremel to slip the lip of the cartridge? It might make it easier to pull it.

OP, what kind of bullets are these?
    What kind of bullet puller are you using?
    What kind of property do you live on (i.e., city, suburb, farm)?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast