Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Sig P938 - Initial Impressions

Just got a Sig P938 & thought that I would post my initial impressions.

First off I am a SAO fan, and regularly carry either a Hi-Power or a Commander size 1911. I was looking for a small pistol for deep conceal or when I was wearing light summer clothes. The P938 is super compact so I thought that I would give it a whirl.

Looking at pictures of it, I presumed that it would be very similar to a 1911 action. It is not. to me it seems like it it is somewhere between a Hi-Power & Sig SA?DA action. Unfortunately, it does not break down (i.e. disassemble) as easy as either one. The safety does not hold the slide back so that the slide pin can be pulled out (as is the case w/ the Hi-Power). THe slide has to be held about half way back w/ both the barrel & spring guide protruding - holding it half way was not easy, especially with a stuborn slide stop pin. Speaking of which, the slide pin does not protrude far enough to push out from the other side of the frame. I had to take a knife under the slide stop to wedge it out. It did not take allot of force, but I would nt be able to get the pin out w/o a knife. Threading the spring guide thru the spring & tucking it under the barrel was also a pain. THe spring kept wanting to squirm out of position. If the spring guide was not perfectly positioned, when the slide was put back on the pistol, the guide rod would stick out 1/2". Of course, you would not know this until the slide stop was put back in place - time to get the knife out. Overall the disassembly/assembly was a pain.

The safety does not lock the slide back. This is a pain when inserting the gun into a tight IWB holster. Somehow have to hold a thumb on the back of a slide so that it does not move back & eject the loaded round. It is possible to 'lock' the slide by having the hammer down with the safety engaged. But this requires putting a round in the chamber & then lower the hammer w/ the safety off, and then put the safety back on. I do not like lowering the hammer w/ the safety off - this is an accident waiting to happen! Maybe I will get better with this, but it is almost easier putting the gun in the holster & then placing it inside the waistband.

I did not care for the plastic trigger. Don't think that it will be a problem, but a shame to use plastic on an otherwise all metal gun. Also, Sig worked hard to make the trigger appear as if it were a strait pull back (as in a 1911), when in fact the trigger rotates around a pin. This results in a gap between the trigger and trigger guard. In my opinion it would look better if they used a trigger that looks like it rotates on a pin and not a 1911 style trigger.

The gun is extremely small, especially for a full power 9mm. I have big hands, and the P938 is very comfortable for me to hold. I cannot use the extended magazine (the 7 round mag. with a pinky extension), as my pinky is not even half way on with this magazine . However, with the standard 6 round magazine, the pinky fits perfectly under the magazine (i.e. base of frame), and the other two fingers have a perfect, strong grip on the pistol. The P938 is the Sport version that has rubber wrap around grips. There is a ridge half way up the grip which separates the middle finger from the ring finger which I believe is why the gun is so stable with a two finger hold. The trigger pull is heavy, but there is no creep. I would not mind a slightly lighter pull, but this trigger seems pretty good right out of the box.

All in all, I really like the gun. I will be more than willing to forgive the takedown & safety gripes if it shoots well. The way it grips and points along with the decent trigger makes me believe that it will. I will follow up after some range time!
    Last edited by MMH; November 11th, 2015 at 08:03 AM. Reason: typo

Default Re: Sig P938 - Initial Impressions

Not sure why you would want to carry a loaded P938 with the hammer down and the safety on. It's meant to be carried cocked and locked like a 1911. That's how I carry mine and it has not gone bang on its own yet, nor do I expect that it ever will.

As for the trigger, there are aftermarket triggers available for the P938. I installed a Tillamook Precision trigger in mine and it's been great. Galloway Precision makes a trigger for the P938. They also sell a reduced power hammer spring. I installed one in my P938 and it made a noticeable difference in the trigger pull and weight.

Overall I like my P938 quite a bit. I like my wife's M&P Shield more, but it's heavier than the P938. The P938 is my daily carry gun.

(Berks County)

I was suprised the OP like the gun after the three paragraphs of complaints.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    Not sure why you would want to carry a loaded P938 with the hammer down and the safety on. It's meant to be carried cocked and locked like a 1911. That's how I carry mine and it has not gone bang on its own yet, nor do I expect that it ever will.

As for the trigger, there are aftermarket triggers available for the P938. I installed a Tillamook Precision trigger in mine and it's been great. Galloway Precision makes a trigger for the P938. They also sell a reduced power hammer spring. I installed one in my P938 and it made a noticeable difference in the trigger pull and weight.

Overall I like my P938 quite a bit. I like my wife's M&P Shield more, but it's heavier than the P938. The P938 is my daily carry gun.
    I would never carry it any way other than cocked and locked. I mentioned this as this is the ONLY way to lock the slide. I wanted to lock the slide as the new IWB holster is not broken in and as I was holstering the gun the slide started racking back. The gun is small enough that it was not easy holding the slide down with the thumb as the hammer was in the way.

Thanks for the lead on the trigger. Did you install yourself?

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    I was suprised the OP like the gun after the three paragraphs of complaints.
    You must have skipped the last sentence of my post.

This was intended as an objective assessment of the gun pointing out both good and bad features. The takedown is a PIA no two ways about it. The safety not locking the slide makes holstering the gun in a tight holster inconvenient. Neither of these issues are deal breakers, but not desirable either. The positive attributes far outweighed the negatives - super small, great fit in my hand & good trigger. I did not comment on fit and finish which is excellent, but what I expect on a Sig. Ultimately, range time will tell me if I have a winner or not in the P938.

(Allegheny County)

I agree with the recoil spring being a bit squirmy while trying to insert the guide rod. But I have never had an issue removing or inserting the pin. The gun is small enough that it can be held with one hand while still holding the slide in the appropriate position for the pin to just fall out with a couple of shakes.

As for the thumb safety, that has been a love/hate issue for me. Like you mentioned, I have had to pay close attention when holstering, as to not accidentally partially rack the slide when inserting the gun. Usually just put my thumb on the back of the slide.
    It is kind of neat that you can clear a chambered round from the firearm with out dropping the thumb safety, but like you mentioned, I think I would prefer it if it protruded into the frame to physically stop it as well, just like a 1911. Not a deal breaker by any means though.

(Berks County)

P938 Extreme is on my short list.
    A Republic, if you can keep it.

(Westmoreland County)

Had some range time today. Recoil was stout but manageable - much better than I anticipated taking into account that this is a 16 oz. gun that I don't have a full hand grip on. Gun surprisingly accurate and very easy to get good sight alignment. Trigger pull is heavy, even for a SA defense/carry gun. Took allot of concentration to not jerk the trigger. Another trigger complaint is that the small gap between the bottom of the trigger & the trigger guard pinches my finger a little bit when I shoot it. I will have to see if I cannot grind the bottom of the trigger down a little to increase the gap & eliminate the pinch. Not a high priority, but something that I will do. At the same time will investigate options to lighten the trigger pull.

Overall very pleased (even without the future trigger mods). I got this gun for occasions where I cannot carry a full size gun (Commander 1911 or Hi-Power) & not everyday carry. It seems that this gun will do a great job for this.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    You must have skipped the last sentence of my post.

This was intended as an objective assessment of the gun pointing out both good and bad features. The takedown is a PIA no two ways about it. The safety not locking the slide makes holstering the gun in a tight holster inconvenient. Neither of these issues are deal breakers, but not desirable either. The positive attributes far outweighed the negatives - super small, great fit in my hand & good trigger. I did not comment on fit and finish which is excellent, but what I expect on a Sig. Ultimately, range time will tell me if I have a winner or not in the P938.
    I got it. Try a zip lock bag over the gun then holster it for a few days to loosen up the holster. You did point out more bad then good in your first post. As i read it i was prepared for you not liking it. Then you did and I was surprised. I like mine too.

(Westmoreland County)

You are correct w/ the zip lock bag. Galco has a youtube on how to break in a holster using a bag. Essentially they say to double or tripple the bag, place over gun, fully insert (will take some force) gun into holster, let sit for 15 minites, and wiggle gun side to side a dozen times. This really worked well.

I probably should have started my first post w/ an overall thumbs up then go into the things that I didn't like. Really need to take this same advice and apply it when I tell my wife something...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast