Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Perry County)

Default The truth about “stopping power” – Anatomy First (MAC recommended)

http://www.breachbangclear.com/the-t...anatomy-first/

"Stopping power." How many times have you heard that ridiculous phrase? "You have to use a [insert caliber/breed/style] round if you want a one-stop shot!" Sure, science tells us that a fully oxygenated brain can keep the body moving for several seconds after the heart is destroyed, but what is science compared to conventional wisdom and urban myth? Today COWAN! is going to discuss this nebulous, even insipid thing called stopping power and give you some insight on the truth behind it. As always, we welcome input (including disagreement) from those of you who are serious about the noble profession of arms. We know this is going to stir up a debate. Let's strive for dialectic disputation.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: The truth about “stopping power” – Anatomy First (MAC recommended)

Thank you for posting that article. I hope everyone reads it, bookmarks it, reads it again and again, and then practices accordingly. I am writing my reply as carefully as I can because I have had real life experience that proves the writer’s point.

When I was an infantry grunt in the Corps I was trained with a rifle (M1 and M14). When I went to recon training I received training on the 45 cal. M3A1 and M1911. Since recon Marines are generally trying to not be detected they do not usually get in the kind on firefights that the infantry does. When we had firefights was because the enemy was hunting us. Those fights were at very close range meaning 25 yards to face to face with 3 to 5 yards being common when the hunters actually decided to come at us. We were trained appropriately for that situation.

We never thought about stopping power. I had no idea that terminology exited back then. We trained for accuracy in spite of an adrenaline rush. I can personally attest to the fact that accuracy in a shooting crisis is the key to dropping the enemy. You may not kill them, but the idea is to drop them so you can then kill them. We were never instructed to shoot for center mass. We were instructed not to try for a head a shot. What we were told was to shoot center chest. At the close distances of self defense encounters that does not take superior aiming. It takes an understanding of anatomy. Below, I have inserted an image of the location of the human sternum (in red).

1024px-Sternum_front.jpg

A reasonable size round of 9mm and over (we were shooting FMJ) will splinter the sternum. Those splinters can hit the lungs, heart, aorta and/or vena cava, The aorta and vena cava punctures lead to massive and rapid bleeding. Puncturing the lungs will lead to rapid respiratory decline, but splinters in the heart might or might not stop an assailant. Rapid blood loss from the aorta or vana cava and or puncturing lungs will bring an assailant down quickly and so rapidly disorient them that their threat is neutralized. You do not have to kill an assailant to neutralize him.

Today, at the ripe old age of 73, my practice targets are just like the image above. I want to hit that red zone. I simply print them out on my printer so that the red zone is about 9 inches long.

(Tioga County)

No, I'm not going to go that road again.
    USNRET '61-'81

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Thank you for posting that article. I hope everyone reads it, bookmarks it, reads it again and again, and then practices accordingly. I am writing my reply as carefully as I can because I have had real life experience that proves the writer’s point.

When I was an infantry grunt in the Corps I was trained with a rifle (M1 and M14). When I went to recon training I received training on the 45 cal. M3A1 and M1911. Since recon Marines are generally trying to not be detected they do not usually get in the kind on firefights that the infantry does. When we had firefights was because the enemy was hunting us. Those fights were at very close range meaning 25 yards to face to face with 3 to 5 yards being common when the hunters actually decided to come at us. We were trained appropriately for that situation.

We never thought about stopping power. I had no idea that terminology exited back then. We trained for accuracy in spite of an adrenaline rush. I can personally attest to the fact that accuracy in a shooting crisis is the key to dropping the enemy. You may not kill them, but the idea is to drop them so you can then kill them. We were never instructed to shoot for center mass. We were instructed not to try for a head a shot. What we were told was to shoot center chest. At the close distances of self defense encounters that does not take superior aiming. It takes an understanding of anatomy. Below, I have inserted an image of the location of the human sternum (in red).

1024px-Sternum_front.jpg

A reasonable size round of 9mm and over (we were shooting FMJ) will splinter the sternum. Those splinters can hit the lungs, heart, aorta and/or vena cava, The aorta and vena cava punctures lead to massive and rapid bleeding. Puncturing the lungs will lead to rapid respiratory decline, but splinters in the heart might or might not stop an assailant. Rapid blood loss from the aorta or vana cava and or puncturing lungs will bring an assailant down quickly and so rapidly disorient them that their threat is neutralized. You do not have to kill an assailant to neutralize him.

Today, at the ripe old age of 73, my practice targets are just like the image above. I want to hit that red zone. I simply print them out on my printer so that the red zone is about 9 inches long.
    As always, the best information comes from someone with actual real-life experience.

And, Happy Birthday...

West Side of river from Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

I like the idea of hitting the vena cava or aorta... not that we can be accurate.

Think hydraulics on a tractor. a hose puncture dumps lots of fluid out quickly stopping the machine. Stopping the hydraulic pump means that there is still enough pressure in the system for one last trip of the bucket.......

I never understood fully the concept of not going for a head shot. At typical close range encounters, it would seem to be a good way of getting the "one shot stop". I don't believe that the vital chest area is that much larger than a head anyway.....
    With great power comes great responsibility....

Quote Originally Posted by forby View Post
    I like the idea of hitting the vena cava or aorta... not that we can be accurate.

Think hydraulics on a tractor. a hose puncture dumps lots of fluid out quickly stopping the machine. Stopping the hydraulic pump means that there is still enough pressure in the system for one last trip of the bucket.......

I never understood fully the concept of not going for a head shot. At typical close range encounters, it would seem to be a good way of getting the "one shot stop". I don't believe that the vital chest area is that much larger than a head anyway.....
    Heads move side to side and up and down very easily and constantly, especially during action. The skull is also quite capable of deflecting rounds that hit at various angles, (pistol rounds anyway) The biggest part of the head is a sideways shot, but if you are facing one another you just have a small forehead area to aim at. Anything else is either a glancing/grazing hit, or a jaw/mouth hit which will not incapacitate, (but sure will ruin his day.) A near miss on sternum still has a very good chance of incapacitation. A near miss on the head has a very good chance of doing nothing.
    Sic semper tyrannis

(Bucks County)

My understanding of anatomy and the mechanics of gunshot trauma. Feel free to pick it apart:

Behind the (red-depicted) sternum, once the bullet pierces the heart, is the aorta and then the spine. If the aorta is punctured, the next thing to be hit is the spine. A spine strike will momentarily at least compromise the nervous system, if not sever it, which will disconnect the system. Either one should make the lower extremities buckle. But this scenario is an everything-perfect hit on a target less than two inches wide.

The lights-out head shot is the A-P to the T zone....eyes and nose. It is about 4" by 4". Two shots to the chest should stop the head motion, momentarily affording opportunity to fire one or two more at the T zone. Assuming un-deflected penetration, the brain stem destruction causes instant death.

There is argument for hip shots. A relatively large target, accessible from any angle, shock of impact will cause the extremity to lose control, and the subject will topple. Pain can incapacitate.

Unless things have changed, the FBI teaches that anything over 25 yards calls for the use of a rifle. Rifles are the man-stopping power, and rifles give ability to place shots with more precision at distances.

(Lackawanna County)

I'm all about the "stopping power" of the venerable 22lr.

(Bucks County)

^^^^ from a 1-5/8" barrel.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    ^^^^ from a 1-5/8" barrel.
    That's why I own a NAA Wasp!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast