Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default old new again,maybe ?

I could be wrong here, since I've been a member noticed 40 cal. if not there yet it is becoming pariah of handgun calibers. Snappy recoil, rough wear and tear on handgun, unneccessary caliber, to name a few negative comments I've read. Purchased my first of 4 handguns 3 yrs. ago, 2-9mm and 2-45 acp. A good bit of negative p.r., some positive not much though , contributed to my purchases. Also my 58 year old wrists. So I'm still learning, and I've never been one to be ahead of the curve, however i'm buying one more and it's going to be a 40. I'm predicting a resurgence, and I'll have mine and a stockpile of ammo. Now have to find one to fit my needs. Carry size, low recoil. So far taking a hard look at Sig p229 used, new is out of my budget. Wrists are 61 now, so any suggestions ?

Default Re: old new again,maybe ?

I had a 229 & it handled the .40 cal much better than the G23. Nice gun, but I just didn't fall in love with it, like I did my 9mm 226, so I sold it to fund another purchase.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Low recoil good luck. Especially in a carry size.

My Glock 30S in .45ACP has less recoil then my friends HK .40S&W does.

(Berks County)

40 was the last pistol caliber on the shelf in the depths of the ammo shortage. Police trade ins are all 40. Those are the the two things it has going for it. No resurgence is coming. It will eventually be among the ranks of the 218bee 357sig 10mm 32acp 35rem.

You've mentioned your wrists, twice. It sounds like you may not want them taking a beating. Why get a pistol that shoots ammo that has a PF of around 180, normally? Even the hottest 9mm that you can buy over the shelf is right at 160, or so, and those things will take down a fairly large pig. Anyways, it takes a lot of gun to hide the recoil of 180 PF ammo. Does it have the same recoil of a .45 ACP out of the same gun? No, but it's close. 45 acp WWB ammo PF is around 195, so at 180 with the 40 S&W, you're right there. Keep in mind, these are standard pressure ammos that are inexpensive and popular at places like WM.

My suggestion would be a 9mm 'cause the resurgence it's having is going to be in the quasishpere.

40 S&W may burn out a barrel sooner than 9mm, but you're talking about thousands of shots, either way. As long as your RSA matches the ammo you use, your gun doesn't take any more a bating than anything else, but it's your wrists.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Bucks County)

if recoil is a issue go with a all steel gun instead of one of the polymer framed guns, the weight of the all steel gun will help absorb felt recoil. the old SW 4000 series guns are good choices and probably fit in your budget. beretta, CZ, Browning, ruger all make all steel or aluminum framed guns that might fit the bill and are lighter than polymer guns like the glock or HK. The Baby Eagles are also a good all steel choice for 40 cal that won't bankrupt you but are good guns.

Quote Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
    if recoil is a issue go with a all steel gun instead of one of the polymer framed guns, the weight of the all steel gun will help absorb felt recoil. the old SW 4000 series guns are good choices and probably fit in your budget. beretta, CZ, Browning, ruger all make all steel or aluminum framed guns that might fit the bill and are lighter than polymer guns like the glock or HK. The Baby Eagles are also a good all steel choice for 40 cal that won't bankrupt you but are good guns.
    Yes. I have a steel-framed Smith 4006 and it shoots fairly soft, very manageable. You can feel a lot more power than a 380 or 9 for sure, but I can shoot it all day. I'd take this over any polymer. It's very easy to rack and control and this is coming from someone with arthritis.

The ammo's always on the shelves too. We have yet to see how the FBI moving to 9mm will affect the ammo pricing and availability.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(York County)

I've never shot friends' .40's as accurately as other 9's; including Ruger, Glock, and S&W. I also don't like keeping multiple stockpiles of various ammo calibers! I can't say that I've got any desire to own a .40, but I said the same thing about 1911's in .45ACP many years ago!
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

(Allegheny County)

I've never contemplated or heard of the 40S&W being stiff recoil...had three, shot most configurations...only in subcompacts did it seem stiff (like the springfield emp)

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by IrocGuns View Post
    I've never contemplated or heard of the 40S&W being stiff recoil...had three, shot most configurations...only in subcompacts did it seem stiff (like the springfield emp)
    I had a glock 23. That thing sucked to shoot. Not fun. I have an M&P 40, that's pleasant. It's all about the platform you choose. I think of the .40 recoil as being a faster .45. Same kick, just quicker.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast