Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Holding guns for friend who may get a PFA

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    I think he is saying the Sheriff/cops are going to ask the PFA guy, "Where are your guns?" "I lost them in a boating accident" isn't going to work.
    Neither would, "Haven't you ever heard of the U.S. Constitution, motherfucker?"

Simply said,Have your LGS keep them in their possesion for safekeeping till the PFA is dismissed and you would have proof of the disposition of firearms and PSP would be informed of the disposition knowing you could not retrieve them unless a PICs is made ! Good Luck ! MDT

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    Simply said,Have your LGS keep them in their possesion for safekeeping till the PFA is dismissed and you would have proof of the disposition of firearms and PSP would be informed of the disposition knowing you could not retrieve them unless a PICs is made ! Good Luck ! MDT
    I doubt that an LGS is going to want to act as a private storage facility for an unknown period of time.
    Does the OP's friend think that the PFA will be lifted in a few days or something? I don't think that is how it works.

My advice is that the OPs friend should sell his guns. Either through an LGS or auction house. Legal FFL transfers (for both pistols and long guns) that provide clear paperwork proving he is no longer the owner of any kind of guns. It would eliminate the whole issue from the court process.

If he has some guns that he really hopes to get back sometime, he should sell them to the OP or another trusted friend, through a legal transfer at an LGS. Then, if and when the PFA is lifted, the OP can sell it back.

I would worry that "holding" PFA-guy's guns would make me a party to the case.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    I think he is saying the Sheriff/cops are going to ask the PFA guy, "Where are your guns?" "I lost them in a boating accident" isn't going to work. If you are holding the guns, they may come see you to verify. Then, of course, any legal considerations (real or imagined by the police) will come into play.
    Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

I guess the original guy (subject to the PFA order) could say "I don't know what you are getting at, because a registry is illegal." But you are going to want a lawyer standing there when this happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Are you talking about the guy with the pfa or the safe keeping guy? Are you suggesting safe keeper have a safe or pfa guy not having guns when served the pfa? Wouldn't all the safe keeper paperwork cover everything?
    I mean both guys, particularly if the guns are moved/loaned/disposed prior to the PFA being actually issued and without the paperwork at law (as mentioned above).

(Lancaster County)

I suppose this gets REALLY icky if NFA stuff is in play. What then? Take them to a gunsmith and tell them to swap out all the springs and/or detail clean it for a couple of weeks?
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Berks County)

Better to stay away from crazy.

(Berks County)

I have done this for someone a few years back.

Cops came asked for his guns, he said he got rid of them, "please search, I have none". He moved out. The PFA was thrown out after a while.

Messy divorce later, I returned them.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Lehigh County)

I helped out a close friend in a similar situation.

Long story short about 7 months into the PFA and divorce she admitted that she lied about the incident, which she told her parents was fabricated prior to this, and everything was thrown out.

Once PFA was expunged I gave him his 3 hunting rifles back. I am not sure about a case with the pistols however I went to the sheriffs office locally and got the quality hunting rifles out of jail to hold for him.
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
    -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    PAFOA Feedback

(Tioga County)

The whole PFA thing seems to be abused in PA by women.

I would fix the main problem by staying clear of crazy women. What has happened has happened but learn your lesson.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123