Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Tioga County)

Default The Sig Sauer P225 or P6 is back in production!

Sig dropped an email tonight and says the P225 is back in production but modernized and now produced in New Hampshire. Some of us know these as the Sig P6. They are now calling this the P225-A1. Nitron finish and the Short Reset Trigger added to this new one. I frequently carry my old 1982 P6 and have shot it in matches as well and still has great accuracy. I figured Sig had sent the P225/P6 to the dustbin of history but I guess not.

https://sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p225-a1.aspx

(Butler County)

Default Re: The Sig Sauer P225 or P6 is back in production!

Doesn't take the old mags (or so I've read), and they are going to price it around 900-1000 bucks on the street. No thanks. I'll buy a P239 and a P6 and keep the change.

(Lycoming County)

Great gun but id not pay over $500 for it. There are just other guns out these now that are that much or less that are just as nice. Just like Walther did with the formerly OVER priced PPS..they lowered its standard price to compete with other guns of the same kind in the market (XD,Glock,Shield) and now its reasonably priced and a player in the market (its around $379-400 now i believe) if the sig honestly comes in at over $500 it wont sell well im betting.

(York County)

I got the email too and was happy to see the return of the 225-A1, so I compared it to the P239 I've carried for 15 years...

I'm with Plyd: take the P239. There's nothing wrong with either, in fact, they are both fantastic handguns, but the 239 is a tad lighter, slightly smaller, and has smoothed corners and a low profile hammer for easy carry. They both hold 8 rounds and use the same 3.6" barrel, but the P239 is at a lower price point.
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

The beauty of the original P225 was the weight of the gun, which contributed to its handling. The original used an alloy frame (as does the A1) with a carbon steel "folded" slide with a pinned-in breach block. The new one uses the monolithic stainless steel slide, like the rest of the current classic P-series line. While I haven't handled the A1 yet - I do have a P239 and a P220 (as well as an original P225). My P220 also has a folded slide and is perceptibly lighter in weight than the P239 with its SS slide.

With single-stack nines all the vogue these days, Sig decided to cash-in on the reputation of the P225 to increase its market share in this niche. Going to be tough to compete with any of the polymer framed entries. They should have stuck with the original, lighter, design.

JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by CBennett View Post
    Great gun but id not pay over $500 for it. There are just other guns out these now that are that much or less that are just as nice. Just like Walther did with the formerly OVER priced PPS..they lowered its standard price to compete with other guns of the same kind in the market (XD,Glock,Shield) and now its reasonably priced and a player in the market (its around $379-400 now i believe) if the sig honestly comes in at over $500 it wont sell well im betting.
    Like with all of their classic P220 series line, it's not going to be a $500 gun. MSRP is around $1k but I am sure street price will be much lower. Also I don't think Sig sees this as a big mass production type gun nor looking to roll around in the tip with some of these brands or even it's own handguns that are priced in the $350 to $500 range.

For those of us that are horndogs though for the P225, a modernized version with a nice SRT trigger and finish is worth looking at.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post

For those of us that are horndogs though for the P225, a modernized version with a nice SRT trigger and finish is worth looking at.
    If they don't relent on the price, I'd take a P6 and have 300-400 bucks worth of work done to it by someone who knows these things. I just don't see what, exactly, that price point is buying me--besides "sig"--which given they are selling vs the original just doesn't seem to have the value. YMMV and all that.

(Lycoming County)

Yup, for the money they will be asking id just as soon, and could get a nice swiss classic 225

Disappointed. The barrel is shorter than the original P225 and doesn't take the same mags. Sig charges twice the price for a pistol that only seems half as good. Seems like they missed the boat.