Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lycoming County)

Default Used firearms vs new firearms - What draws you in!

I have not be collecting firearms near as long as some others.

But, I have come to appreciate the used firearms sections of any local gun shop.

I love to stop in any gun shop I have never been in and check out their supply at that time - especially the used firearms.

I have gotten to the point that my main interest would be in anything used.

At my local haunts I will go in and head straight for the used gun section and I notice other regulars always do the same.

Many of the used firearms come with a nice price drop and usually are in very good condition.

How important are the used firearms to you?

Will being told a store has more draw you in?

Will hearing a store does not have much in the way of used keep you away?

What are your thoughts and feelings about used firearms and local gun shops.

And finally, how much off the price do you consider it worth it and at what point do you say you might as well pay the extra and get new?

Thanks.

God bless!!

PPP
    I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. - Jesus Christ

Default Re: Used firearms vs new firearms - What draws you in!

Are we talking used Glocks and cant walk 10 feet with out tripping over one run of the mill shot guns or are we talking real collectibles here because there is a huge difference in what I am willing to pay for something labeled used.

Locally where I am used prices are typically a joke on modern or newer production firearms especially hand guns and revolvers. Used Glocks for $500-$525 meanwhile 30 feet away a new one in the same model sits there for $20-25.00 more no thanks. For used I would must rather buy or trade with other members on this site rather pay the same price in a LGS for a used gun that I can get brand new from a reputable online retailer.

Collectibles, surplus and war relics are an entirely different can of worms and you typically pay what it's worth to that individual buyer depending on what it is. Anything in this category that I find locally is either priced triple double or triple to what they average nationally at auction, they have the right gun but not the right production date's, factory codes or variant, or the exact opposite to where they are grossly under priced because the shop has no clue as to what they have but that's rare.

So once again I typically find myself buying privately from other members or at auction.
    Last edited by Hodgie; November 5th, 2015 at 07:12 PM.

(Lycoming County)

My thought would be your regular used guns.

Not necessarily milsurp.

But, milsurp can also be thrown into this.

I will drive a long way to see a shop with a nice milsurp area.

Throw in a nice used firearms selection and I am all in.

Troxell's Gun Shop in the Williamsport area always has very, very little in the used gun department.

Yet, 30 minutes north in Canton, Pa. and Jim''s Sports Center always seems to have a good used selection.

Some thoughts.

God bless!!

PPP
    I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. - Jesus Christ

(Berks County)

You can find real good deals on used but you better know what you're looking at. New has a warranty so if you miss something they will fix it. Some stuff isn't made anymore or is made cheaper or has an unwanted update like the dreaded internal lock on S&W revolvers.

Other than a very very short list of milsurps.
    My only priorities on buying are typically Pre-1945 handguns.

nothing new interests me, If a shop doesnt cater to what peaks my interest I don't even bother. Most places I'm in/out in under 2 minutes if I don't see anything I want .
    a slow death awaits you,but not before love reminds you that there is good in you

I think they way one shops will dictate where they frequent and for what reasons. I have a few bud's from all different states that hit the local Pawn shops on a weekly bases looking for deals and they find them but typically on stuff they didn't really want or would never think of buying all because it was a good deal.

I have a short list and a long list of things I want the short list I go in order of want which sometimes gets switched around in the event I stumble across something on that list in my travels. I typically stay focused only on what I have on my list rather then getting distracted by a bunch of stuff that doesn't fit my needs or fill a whole in my collection.

The long list rarely get's anything removed from it since moving to PA and having a 2nd child it contains surplus belt fed's and other things that have gone way out of my price range in the last 5 years.

(Monroe County)

New is good, but a used but in perfect shape Dan Wesson model 15 for $165 is great. Or the shotgun I posted that was bought for under 100 and after some deep cleaning was a great little shooter.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pistol Packin Preacher View Post
    My thought would be your regular used guns.

Not necessarily milsurp.

But, milsurp can also be thrown into this.

I will drive a long way to see a shop with a nice milsurp area.

Throw in a nice used firearms selection and I am all in.

Troxell's Gun Shop in the Williamsport area always has very, very little in the used gun department.

Yet, 30 minutes north in Canton, Pa. and Jim''s Sports Center always seems to have a good used selection.

Some thoughts.

God bless!!

PPP
    I probably frequent most of the same lgs you do . I buy mostly all used anymore. I'm not really searching for anything and I have a thing for stuff that is different. Most purchases I make anymore is impulse buy.

I like troxells, but you're right I wish he would get more used stock in. I usually go there for ammo/reloading supplies, since he's the best priced by far.

If you're up for a drive, try Curts in the Berwick area. Lots of milsurp and unusual used stuff. Prices aren't too bad either. Dixies in hughesville gets some neat stuff in also, but you have to watch your prices there. If you don't know what you're looking at he can be on the high side. Same with national up in Jersey Shore. I've gotten some good deals in there over the years, but some stuff is over priced.

See ya around the used counters some time . I'm the fat guy ocing a 1911.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    New is good, but a used but in perfect shape Dan Wesson model 15 for $165 is great.
    I think I hate you now.

(Pike County)

I have no problem with used firearms. The problem, even in this site's classified's section is their price's.

The price's sometimes, higher than what I can buy it for, shipped to my FFL, including the transfer fee.

Just my opinion.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast