Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: Awesome Encounter with PA State trooper (off duty)

I agree guys, thus my little rant.
    How have we gotten to where we are with all these infringements?
    I've heard that to get the license you guys have it can cost into the thousands.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch10mm View Post
    I've heard that to get the license you guys have it can cost into the thousands.
    I belive that might be nyc, mine was around $200 still way to much and 3 month wait. And not valid in nyc
    Its a shame and each county is different in if they will issue unrestricted or not. Lucked out and my county only issues unrestricted and will only deny if there is an actual reason to do so

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch10mm View Post
    Upstate, the license itself is $125, I think (may have gone up a bit since I applied, and it may vary by county). But to get unrestricted, it's common for judges to require taking an approved course, which is typically in the $150-$200 range, plus a box of ammo. So between $125 and $350, upstate. No idea on renewal fees, if any, as they were lifetime licenses prior to the unSAFE act and we haven't hit the first renewal wave yet.

Downstate, I think the application fee is around $350 (and must be paid again for the 3 year renewals, I believe). I don't know about any unofficial requirements (classes) in the city, though I think in order for it to be awarded, you have to grease a lot of palms...

Quote Originally Posted by OwnTheRide View Post
    Upstate, the license itself is $125, I think (may have gone up a bit since I applied, and it may vary by county). But to get unrestricted, it's common for judges to require taking an approved course, which is typically in the $150-$200 range, plus a box of ammo. So between $125 and $350, upstate. No idea on renewal fees, if any, as they were lifetime licenses prior to the unSAFE act and we haven't hit the first renewal wave yet.

Downstate, I think the application fee is around $350 (and must be paid again for the 3 year renewals, I believe). I don't know about any unofficial requirements (classes) in the city, though I think in order for it to be awarded, you have to grease a lot of palms...

Here it was $15 for application, then price if passport pictures, 105.50 for fingerprints, 20 for "safety class" which was a 3 hour don't ever have your gun with you ever. And a few other things to tial about $200

(Luzerne County)

I've had one bad experience with a cop while carrying. All others were pleasant. It should be the expectation that it will go well, mostly depending on your attitude. OP glad you had a good experience, hope you have many more.

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by sgreen10 View Post
    Oh i do, one copy in my wallet, one in my car, and another at home. Even saw a buddy the other day (have not seen in almost 10 years) who was a NYS trooper, just about to move to SC, and before he moved I asked if he didnt know me and either saw me open carrying or recieved a call about it and I handed him that paper (it would probably be more like him finding it in my wallet after getting cuffed (my presumption) what his response would be, he looked it over and said well honestly i wouldnt be able to argue with it.. but with that bei BFF said he is pro 2A not all leos in the state are, the farther north you get with the exception of a few areas (Ithaca being the main spot) most leos would probably do a detention, run of the serial number woth a check to make sure it is on my license and then probably just tell me to cover it up as people dont know the laws. But Im not going to try it out and test my luck, i carry the paper just incase a situation like yesterday comes about and i dont realize my gun is visible and i have to deal with the police because of it.

I still really thought the PA trooper was awesome about the whole thing as it seems from being on this forum they are some of the big ones on harrassing OCers in PA and he was above and beyond cool, even if it isnt his jurisdiction... hopefully they made it to that wing joint and liked the wings
    Most State Troopers are fine. The problem is with town cops, and thankfully 83% of the Commonwealth does not have to deal with them.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    Most State Troopers are fine. The problem is with town cops, and thankfully 83% of the Commonwealth does not have to deal with them.
    I guess thats one more difference between PA and NY, here its the troopers that seem to be the issue. While most local police and almost all local sheriff departments have said they will not enforce the "safe act" the troopers seem to have (not all) a different outlook, and if im not mistaken just about all (i believe less than 5) arrests for having more than 7 in a magazine have been from the staties

(Erie County)

New Yorks laws in my opinion are treacherous. How long does it take for the pistol permit office to issue the receipt to then pick up the pistol? Does NY have any form of instant background check system or is it a lengthy process? Just reading some of the info provided on your permit make me sure I don't want to move to NY.
    Muzzel Down Range, Eyes On Target...

Quote Originally Posted by norb5150 View Post
    New Yorks laws in my opinion are treacherous. How long does it take for the pistol permit office to issue the receipt to then pick up the pistol? Does NY have any form of instant background check system or is it a lengthy process? Just reading some of the info provided on your permit make me sure I don't want to move to NY.
    Ive seen it come back as fast as 1 month, mine took 3 months, and i know some people on 9 months. And to get it back its a simple take the receipt of purchase to the office they update the license right then and there then you can go back and pick up the gun same day (shitty part is they are only open Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday in my county) the whole process blows but once you have one other than the bs 10 round limit there is not much else other than the federal studf ie cant go to fed buildings or schools. Our dmv is awesome and i just walk in show them my license real quick and they have no problem locking my gun up for me, the permit office usually act like its an inconvenience but still do it.. and then i took the quick trip to PA and picked up my LTCF for $15 and 15 min of my time.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by sgreen10 View Post
    Ive seen it come back as fast as 1 month, mine took 3 months, and i know some people on 9 months. And to get it back its a simple take the receipt of purchase to the office they update the license right then and there then you can go back and pick up the gun same day (shitty part is they are only open Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday in my county) the whole process blows but once you have one other than the bs 10 round limit there is not much else other than the federal studf ie cant go to fed buildings or schools. Our dmv is awesome and i just walk in show them my license real quick and they have no problem locking my gun up for me, the permit office usually act like its an inconvenience but still do it.. and then i took the quick trip to PA and picked up my LTCF for $15 and 15 min of my time.
    Why would you need to lock up your gun at the DMV? Does NY law prohibit carry there?
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast