Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Sig P229 Legion

(Philadelphia County)

Default Sig P229 Legion

So I caved and ended up getting a Sig P229 Legion from Classic Pistol (Bob the owner is a pleasure to deal with) over the weekend after trying to find so many reasons why I didn't like it to begin with. After reading about it in "Truth About Guns" website I became curious (my first gun was a Sig P229) and wanted to see what all the hype was about.

Classic Pistol happened to have one and I picked it up and was immediately drawn. Out of all the triggers I have come across in my short time as a gun owner, this is one of the best (I'm sure there's better, but I haven't come across it). There is little to no distance for the trigger reset. As for the double action trigger, it is extremely smooth with little to no slack or take up. The sights have a faded out rear and a bright front, which aided in target acquisition while shooting. I have already put a couple hundred rounds through it, and it is quite the tackdriver. Based upon the results I have concluded that the smooth trigger, couple with the set up of the sights make this pistol very functional. This is every tactidouche's pistol wet dream.

I was so adverse to getting this pistol (trying to find everything wrong with it) that I ended up walking out the store with it after picking it up and squeezing the trigger and aiming with the sights.

Here are the reasons why I was so adverse:
    1) The Legion logo looks stupid.
    2) I'm not a fan of the Beavertail on a Sig.
    3) The gimmicky Sig Legion membership you get once you get the gun, that further confirms your douchebaggery.
    4) The challenge coin that comes with the gun (kind of like one of those coins they give recovering addicts after being clean for x number of days).
    5) The way Sig was marketing to the public with the Legion Series seemed a desperate play to draw in the tactidouche crowd.
    6) The set up of the trigger would encourage any newbie shooters to pick up bad habits.

Kind of like that promiscuous hot chick you see at a bar and trying to convince yourself not to try to sleep with her and you end up doing the deed and end up having a blast...😄

I just wanted to document my firsthand experience with the Sig P229 Legion just in case anyone is thinking about getting one. Hopefully this was informative and helps anyone thinking about getting one.

Peace.
    Last edited by jjones3211; November 2nd, 2015 at 07:57 AM.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Sig P229 Legion

Great review and thoughts on this. I thought, $350 more bucks for a challenge coin and different finish?, until I felt that trigger, pretty amazing. I like the undercut x5 as well as the beavertail.
    NRA RSO, NRA Certified Instructor, Glock Armorer

Sig has had some pretty lame assed marketing ploys in the past, (rainbow & diamond plate finishes come immediately to mind), but at least this time the gun actually has some desirable features.

The undercut trigger guard, better checkering, Gray Guns trigger & sights would be nice to have on my old plain jane 226. My finish on my old one is holding up pretty well, but the new finish is supposed to be better.

On the other hand, I never could understand the need for a beavertail on a P-series Sig. It's like putting a chandelier in a porta potty. It might look nice to some, but it just doesn't belong there. At least this one is downsized from the ones on the Elite series, but still, I've never heard of a Sig shooter getting hammer bite.

Another pet peeve is why would Sig come out with a new gun, with new & improved features, and put their proprietary rail on it, instead on a real 1913 rail like they have on the MK25?

The biggest down side, is the whole Legion marketing thing. The whole elite club thing, with merchandise available to members. The pass coin. Secret decoder ring. That's pretty lame.

I like the P-series Sigs & if I were in the market for a 226 or 229 I'd probably go for a Legion. They have some features that are actually improvements over the base models instead of just eye candy for Sig kool aide drinkers. As it is, I doubt any of those improvements on the Legion would make me a better shooter or be more dependable than the old 226 I already have. AND the Legion special secret squirrel society, with the pass coin, exclusive club benefits that are available only to members, etc, won't make me any more badass than I already am.

Oh! Congratulations on the new Sig jj. I think you'll like it.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    At least this time the gun actually has some desirable features. The undercut trigger guard, better checkering, Gray Guns trigger & sights would be nice to have on my old plain jane 226. My finish on my old one is holding up pretty well, but the new finish is supposed to be better.

Oh! Congratulations on the new Sig jj. I think you'll like it.
    Attachment 77541

(Westmoreland County)

In saw the Legion Series when visited by my Sig Rep. It was nice, very nice, but I didn't see any SIGnifigant improvement over some of the other models with uprated features.

For the money I'd take the Sig Custom Shop SAS, rounded profile series. Night sights as Std., smooth rounded profile, short reset trigger and way less of a cost outlay. The only thing I'd add would be Hogue G-10 stocks.

Quote Originally Posted by ScotsGuards View Post
    In saw the Legion Series when visited by my Sig Rep. It was nice, very nice, but I didn't see any SIGnifigant improvement over some of the other models with uprated features.

For the money I'd take the Sig Custom Shop SAS, rounded profile series. Night sights as Std., smooth rounded profile, short reset trigger and way less of a cost outlay. The only thing I'd add would be Hogue G-10 stocks.
    The improvements are minor, but I think they make a big difference. Lately I've been seriously considering adding a MK25 or maybe even a 226 Legion to the collection, but I bought a set of Hogue G10 Pirranah grips for my old 226 instead.

My M11A1 has the short reset trigger on it, but it's also a short reach trigger. I like the short reset, but I have large hands/long fingers & I'm still trying to adjust to the short reach.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Tioga County)

I was wondering what this whole Legion thing was. The pistols look tarted up nice, but everything I run hard and shoot a lot so it's probably not for me. Competition and the farm put plenty of dings and dirt on my guns.

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks Galactic it runs great and the undercut underneath the trigger guard shows a noticeable improvement when firing the pistol. Also the G10 grips pretty good, though I prefer the e2 grip. It just feels more natural.

(Philadelphia County)

I like cosmetic wear and tear on my Sigs, shows character.

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks and I do, though it will take some time getting use to the trigger. I've gotten myself acclaimed to the stock triggers on my P228 and P229. I would have to say the stock trigger on my 228 remains my preference, which is my primary carry (I have 2 other 228's as backups &#128526.