Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Ideas for new sights for Ruger MK III?

Looking to replace the sights on a MK III with a fluted bull barrel. My google-foo must be off tonight as I'm not finding much. It has a shallow v notch rear that I really hate. Just looking for a standard square notch rear. If I can keep the FO front that would be great as it would probably be cheaper. Thanks.

(Butler County)

Default Re: Ideas for new sights for Ruger MK III?

I have an older 22/45 Target (stainless bull barrel). I just put a bushnell TRS-25 red dot on the thing.

Best. Upgrade. Ever.

My stock rear sight would come loose in the dovetail despite a trip back to Ruger. Finally lost my mind and slapped the red dot on the gun. I'd almost like to thank the wonky rear because this (RDS) is clearly how a gun like this was meant to run. IMHO and all that.

(Allegheny County)

We immediately changed our sights on our mark iii hunter to ruger competition sights. Couldn't stand the v notch rear sight

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by pyld View Post
    I have an older 22/45 Target (stainless bull barrel). I just put a bushnell TRS-25 red dot on the thing.

Best. Upgrade. Ever.

My stock rear sight would come loose in the dovetail despite a trip back to Ruger. Finally lost my mind and slapped the red dot on the gun. I'd almost like to thank the wonky rear because this (RDS) is clearly how a gun like this was meant to run. IMHO and all that.

How did you mount the optic?

I have a 22/45 and can't wait to get a mini red dot on it. I have the small holes drilled on the top my of mine so I'll just have to find a mount that is made to fit I guess. I'm going with either the Burris FastFire or Trijicon RMR though.... I think those look best. Anything bigger then that just looks "off" to me.

Here's my 22/45 that its going to go on

Here is the look Im going for, this is not my gun below

Last edited by JW1914; November 1st, 2015 at 10:55 AM.
    -=pardon me while I burn and rise above the flames=-

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by JW1914 View Post
    How did you mount the optic?
    The receiver on mine was drilled and it came with a rail in the box. Just took about 8 years to get the rail on it.....

(Bucks County)

My Mk III is a Competition bought early 2014, and it also came drilled and with the rail+screws. Took a quick look at the Ruger web site, and don't see the rail mentioned any more. That was the reason I bought the Competition instead of the Hunter.

Attached an Aimpoint Micro H-1 . . . and as pyld said: Best. Upgrade. Ever.

And also as pyld mentioned, the rear sight fell out a couple of months later

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Twoboxer View Post
    My Mk III is a Competition bought early 2014, and it also came drilled and with the rail+screws. Took a quick look at the Ruger web site, and don't see the rail mentioned any more. That was the reason I bought the Competition instead of the Hunter.

Attached an Aimpoint Micro H-1 . . . and as pyld said: Best. Upgrade. Ever.

And also as pyld mentioned, the rear sight fell out a couple of months later
    I applaud your sense of jackhammering an ant (Aimpoint micro on a MK III). That, and I can't shoot it well enough to justify a "real" RDS.

I know at least three other owners of 22/45 and/or MK III variants who have had the rear sight that won't stop drifting....

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by pyld View Post
    I applaud your sense of jackhammering an ant (Aimpoint micro on a MK III). That, and I can't shoot it well enough to justify a "real" RDS.

I know at least three other owners of 22/45 and/or MK III variants who have had the rear sight that won't stop drifting....
    Heh. Mine doesn't drift any more . . . it's in an envelope in the pistol's original box Shame on Ruger though.

My eyes do not resolve iron sights any more (3 posts look like 9 . . . the dots look like lopsided 8s with acne) which is the thing that started me putting optics on pistols. I hate battery operated stuff on a gun . . . I know whenever I reach for my flashlight, the batteries will be dead. The Aimpoint was the lightest, smallest, long-battery-life, adjustable dot intensity (which to my vision increases size) RDS I could find. 2 years of nearly weekly use and the original battery still seems new.

Pricey, yes. Meets all objectives, yes. Also have one on my 1911 mounted via the rail. Those two pistols are my best shooters, and now I can actually aim them