Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Reddings Hardware in Gettysburg, South Central PA

I just had a really good experience at Reddings about a week ago.
    This is an old fashioned store. When you walk in you see about 1000 guns all over the place, as well as a bear and a big bin laden target. I periodically stop in just for the atmosphere. I love it there.

But last week was even better.

I went in to check out their Browning Buckmark pistols (.22lr) to see what was available and handle a few of them. They showed me several different versions, all competitively priced, and then pulled out another that was brand new and priced WAY lower than I've seen anywhere ($369 brand new).

So I bought it.

While ringing it up, the clerk called the manager in and they discovered that someone had screwed up and marked the wrong price on the pistol, and it was supposed to be over $100 more than labelled. The manager looked at the clerk and said "give it to him at the marked price. That is what we told him it costs, and that is what he is paying, and we will lose money and that is ok."
    They explained to me that a former employee had marked it wrong, and hinted that he may have even done it on purpose, or simply because he was lazy. Either way, they insisted on selling it at the marked price, even though it was less than they had paid for it.

I bought an extra brick of ammo and some other extras just because.

This is a great shop with a lot of integrity
    Sic semper tyrannis

(Berks County)

Default Re: Reddings Hardware in Gettysburg, South Central PA

Quote Originally Posted by hog45 View Post
    I just had a really good experience at Reddings about a week ago.
    This is an old fashioned store. When you walk in you see about 1000 guns all over the place, as well as a bear and a big bin laden target. I periodically stop in just for the atmosphere. I love it there.

But last week was even better.

I went in to check out their Browning Buckmark pistols (.22lr) to see what was available and handle a few of them. They showed me several different versions, all competitively priced, and then pulled out another that was brand new and priced WAY lower than I've seen anywhere ($369 brand new).

So I bought it.

While ringing it up, the clerk called the manager in and they discovered that someone had screwed up and marked the wrong price on the pistol, and it was supposed to be over $100 more than labelled. The manager looked at the clerk and said "give it to him at the marked price. That is what we told him it costs, and that is what he is paying, and we will lose money and that is ok."
    They explained to me that a former employee had marked it wrong, and hinted that he may have even done it on purpose, or simply because he was lazy. Either way, they insisted on selling it at the marked price, even though it was less than they had paid for it.

I bought an extra brick of ammo and some other extras just because.

This is a great shop with a lot of integrity
    Don't worry they will make it up on the next firearm sold! I was only in that shop 1 or 2 times and both times their prices were ridiculous on just about everything I looked at.

I shop there all the time (used to more often when I lived in Gettysburg, but still semi-regularly) and I have no issue with their prices or anything. Love the place
    Sic semper tyrannis

Time to stop in before they find all of the tags!

Great story. I've heard both great and horrible stories about that shop. One of their older long-time employees now works at Deer Valley Sporting Goods near York. He's been there for at least a year, so he's not the doofus with the price tags. Very knowledgeable man.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

I grew up in Adams County so I've been a Reddings customer for close to 40 years. I stopped by on Monday but I don't know why. Every time I walk out with nothing because their prices are and always have been way over what I can pay elsewhere.

I was glad to see they have finally installed some lighting at the gun counter so you can see the guns. It used to be the worst lite gun shop I've ever seen.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    I grew up in Adams County so I've been a Reddings customer for close to 40 years. I stopped by on Monday but I don't know why. Every time I walk out with nothing because their prices are and always have been way over what I can pay elsewhere.

I was glad to see they have finally installed some lighting at the gun counter so you can see the guns. It used to be the worst lite gun shop I've ever seen.
    I bought a pistol there about 25 years ago and was pleased with the deal and transaction. I stop by when I am in the area and my number one complaint was the lighting (or lack thereof), number two was how tight the guns were spaced so that you cannot see well. The pricing was high last time I stopped in, but like anyplace there are exceptions. Glad to see they honored the price marked, I know some places that would not have.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by tripleS View Post
    Don't worry they will make it up on the next firearm sold! I was only in that shop 1 or 2 times and both times their prices were ridiculous on just about everything I looked at.
    What he said......
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(York County)

agreed. one of the highest shops for pricing in central PA....right up there with Deer valley!

(Franklin County)

I stop in on occasion since it's just "over the mountain"...but it's always so crowded I never get to the counter to see or buy anything...
    USMC 2/10 1982-85
    ~REMEMBER FT. HOOD~