Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default Questions about the locking block on Beretta 92FS

I field stripped my Beretta 92FS yesterday for cleaning. This is the first time I disassembled and assembled a gun, this is also my first pistol. So I disassembled it, while cleaning it I think I jammed the plunger of the locking block in and this caused the locking block to stay up (away from the barrel). I couldn't assemble it with the locking block up, I took a tooth pick and pushed the plunger back out and then everything was fine. I fired about 10 rounds after and everything was good. I have a few questions about this locking block
    1, What's the locking block for? is it just to hold the barrel to the slide?
    2, Does this happen often?(the plunger getting stuck causing the locking block to stick up)
    3, Did I cause any permanent damage/wear and tear to the locking block?

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Questions about the locking block on Beretta 92FS

The 92 operates on the Walther P-38’s falling locking block design. As such, the locking block is one of the action’s main components that receives a fair amount of wear. When a round is fired it absorbs pressure and allows the slide to move. It does take a beating and is known as the week link of the weapon. I think they are rated for fifteen thousand rounds but some armorers suggest changing them at five thousand.

Ive never experienced the situation you described but cant imagine you did any harm to the block whatsoever. You have a strong pistol there, tried and tested, enjoy it and dont be afraid to treat it like the tool that it is.

(Montgomery County)

It happens to me probably 9 times out of 10 when cleaning it. Seems to happen when it's dirty or dry.
    I think it is when the block gets out of its exact left right alignment. It has to be centered or it won't fall back into place.
    It has never taken more than finger pressure to get it back in place. You are not going to hurt it with fingers.
    Hold it upside down when putting it back so that gravity helps you get it back.

(Jefferson County)

1. The locking block is to create a delayed cycle. Just in a different manner than the Browning designed cammed lockup.

2. It happens. Nothing any more often than a broken link in a Browning design.

3. Doubtfully. So long as the locking block and the plunger operate now, you should be good to go.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    It happens to me probably 9 times out of 10 when cleaning it. Seems to happen when it's dirty or dry.
    I think it is when the block gets out of its exact left right alignment. It has to be centered or it won't fall back into place.
    It has never taken more than finger pressure to get it back in place. You are not going to hurt it with fingers.
    Hold it upside down when putting it back so that gravity helps you get it back.
    I believe what happened was when I was running the cleaning rod with brush down the barrel hard, my hand slammed into the locking block plunger, this forced the locking block up and the plunger in. What's the situation when yours get stuck?
    Last edited by Will3212; October 26th, 2015 at 10:30 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Will3212 View Post
    I believe what happened was when I was running the cleaning rod with brush down the barrel hard, my hand slammed into the locking block plunger, this forced the locking block up and the plunger in. What's the situation when yours get stuck?
    Just manipulating it while cleaning. I never even think about it anymore.
    The plunger will only go in when the locking block is down, not up against the barrel. If you are holding the barrel so that the block is down, and then you tilt/rotate the barrel, the locking block will slip to the left or right. It is no longer aligned with the plunger so it will not lay flush against the barrel and the plunger will not plunge.

Just use your fingers to push the block back into alignment.

Is this an older gun? Mine is, I am curious if this is the same with new guns too.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    Just manipulating it while cleaning. I never even think about it anymore.
    The plunger will only go in when the locking block is down, not up against the barrel. If you are holding the barrel so that the block is down, and then you tilt/rotate the barrel, the locking block will slip to the left or right. It is no longer aligned with the plunger so it will not lay flush against the barrel and the plunger will not plunge.

Just use your fingers to push the block back into alignment.

Is this an older gun? Mine is, I am curious if this is the same with new guns too.
    mine is pretty new, had it for about 2 months and shot through about 200 rounds with it

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Will3212 View Post
    mine is pretty new, had it for about 2 months and shot through about 200 rounds with it
    Then it's not an age thing. Mine is old enough to to buy itself a beer.

I recommend you unload and disassemble it, take the barrel out and examine it closely. Work that block and watch how the plunger works. Then you will see how it has to be lined up "just so" in order to work.

(Lancaster County)

Will,
    Since this is your first pistol, read the manual and find a good video about it, read or watch (or both) until you completely understand how it functions and can take it apart & reassemble it (field strip, learn more later) without thinking.
    Easier way of saying it, get to know that pistol.

These are great pistol, I bought a lightly used one back in 94 or 95 and haven't had any issues with it.

(Elk County)

No one's mentioned it, but a tiny drop of oil on the locking block plunger works wonders to keep it from sticking if pushed in too far.

Machinery, like sex, tends to function better with a little lubrication.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast