Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Obama to run for Prez (link)

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. - Barack Obama (news, bio, voting record) announced his bid for president Saturday, a black man evoking Abraham Lincoln's ability to unite a nation and a Democrat portraying himself as a fresh face capable of leading a new generation.

"Let us transform this nation," he told thousands shivering in the cold at the campaign's kickoff.

Obama, 45, is the youngest candidate in the Democrats' 2008 primary field dominated by front-runner Sen.
    Hillary Rodham Clinton and filled with more experienced lawmakers. In an address from the state capital where he began his elective career 10 years ago, the first-term U.S. senator sought to distinguish himself as a staunch opponent of the
    Iraq war and a White House hopeful whose lack of political experience is an asset.

"I know I haven't spent a lot of time learning the ways of Washington. But I've been there long enough to know that the ways of Washington must change," Obama said to some of the loudest applause of his 20-minute speech.

Obama is looking to cap his remarkable, rapid rise to prominence with the biggest political prize of all — the presidency. His elective career began just 10 years ago in the Illinois Legislature. He lost a bid for a U.S. House seat, then won the Senate seat in 2004, a relatively smooth election made easier by GOP stumbles.

In his speech, Obama did not mention his roots as the son of a man from Kenya and a woman from Kansas, his childhood in Hawaii and Indonesia or the history he would make if elected. That compelling biography has turned him into a political celebrity.

Instead, he focused on his life in Illinois over the past two decades, beginning with a job as a community organizer with a $13,000-a-year salary that strengthened his Christian faith. He said the struggles he saw people face inspired him to get a law degree and run for the Legislature, where he served eight years.

He tied his announcement to the legacy of Lincoln, announcing from the building where the future 16th president served in the state Legislature.

"We can build a more hopeful America. And that is why, in the shadow of the Old State Capitol, where Lincoln once called on a house divided to stand together, where common hopes and common dreams still live, I stand before you today to announce my candidacy for President of the United States of America," Obama said. His voice rose to a shout as he spoke over the cheers from thousands who braved temperatures in the teens.

"I know it's a little chilly, but I'm fired up," Obama said as he took the podium with his wife Michelle and daughters Malia, 8, and Sasha, 5, with U2's "City of Blinding Lights" blaring on the speakers.

Local authorities estimated the crowd at between 15,000 and 17,000.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070210/...l_pr/obama2008

(Berks County)

Default Re: Obama to run for Prez (link)

There is no real news in that one. He's been running for Pres. since he got the seat in the Senate. There is just something about this guy that I distrust entirely.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by billamj View Post
    There is no real news in that one. He's been running for Pres. since he got the seat in the Senate. There is just something about this guy that I distrust entirely.
    Well he is a professional politician. to me thats a step below a used car salesman

(York County)

Talking Re: Obama to run for Prez (link)

Quote Originally Posted by billamj View Post
    But I heard he is CLEAN and ARTICULATE. Whatever that means.
    " The Seeds of Oppression Will One Day Bear The Fruit of Rebellion."

(Delaware County)

Does anyone know his stance on guns?
    In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps.

(Bucks County)

Anti, very anti-2A. I believe he will be Mrs. Clinton's pick for VP. God help us...Mike45

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike45 View Post
    Anti, very anti-2A. I believe he will be Mrs. Clinton's pick for VP. God help us...Mike45
    I think thats great since she is unelectable due to being too polarizing even for the Dems.
    " The Seeds of Oppression Will One Day Bear The Fruit of Rebellion."

(Philadelphia County)

Joe Biden will be the next prez of the US, Im sorry to say...

Way back when my adopted Grand father lived, he once told me, "bob, your better off having your enemy near so you can watch him, then having your friend who you trust stab you in the back..." and he was talking about Politics.

When the enemy speaks, he knows you’re listening, so he will expect you to act and react accordingly. IE If Hilary was to be prez, every gun owner would be there waiting for her to make a move and intercept it.

She would expect it, and we would expect it, but the problem arises when your friend stabs you in the back. Say we found an all RKBA and 2A friendly government. Made all sorts of promises and even managed to keep a few of them. Then one day he comes out with a hitter… And no one is watching because after all we trust he will be there to “protect” us right?

This happened in 1976 ish in Quebec, Prime minister Levesque who smoked 2 to 3 packs of cigarettes a day, you could never catch this guy in a picture with out his good old DuMaurier in his face or fingers… Although he was a separatist and wanted the world to speak French… The average Quebecker trusted he would be good when it came to “Cigarette” laws and taxes and a good person to have around for a few years, a “friend” to the people.

Ti Poil (Little hair) as he was called, raised the Cigarette tax almost over night, no one saw it coming! Bang one day your paying $1.75 per pack, next day $3.00 ! Then he hit gas prices, then he went on and the general idea was this must be a joke!

Jobs went down the tubes, the economy went haywire almost over night, then he hit with the language laws and many companies left for a safer place to call home. The locals then started a joke “IBM put out a new computer that does so much work, you can now have an office with 10 people work and do more then 20 used to do last year… Quebec put up this idiot, now no one works where 1000 used to!” What started the gun bans in Quebec was some one trying to assassinate Levesque. Was not long after that that gun laws in Quebec changed drastically.

What we tend to forget is that we elect the officials, be it judges, Sheriff, Mayor… And yes even the President. It is us that decide who we want up there. And the one thing they know is, even though they can be ousted from the chair, this has happened very few times, and it took some pretty big deals to get them out of there. So once in, they know they have 4 years to rule and create havoc.
    We generally don’t pick the “best” person for the job, but the least of 2 evils. I don’t think this time will be any different.

If Wayne LaPierre him self went to run for President, we would probably feel pretty comfy… And yet, he did some thing in the past that put the US Government who was friendly to gun owners against the NRA.

NRA, LaPierre's Words Could Backfire -- Again
    Dateline: 03/14/00
    On Sunday, March 12, executive vice president of the NRA Wayne LaPierre, appearing on ABC TV's This Week, accused President Clinton of being intentionally lax in pressing for strict enforcement of existing gun control laws and of using acts of gun violence for political gain.
    "I've come to believe that he needs a certain level of violence in this country,'' LaPierre said of the president Sunday. "He's willing to accept a certain level of killing to further his political agenda and his vice president, too."
    Should those rather incendiary words explode in LaPierre's face and result in "friendly fire" damage to the NRA, it will not be the first time.
    In 1995, LaPeirre penned a fund-raising letter in which he referred to federal law enforcement agents as "jack booted thugs." While not written in relationship to the tragedy, the letter was mailed shortly after the bombing of the Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City.
    Although LaPierre issued an official apology, it was too little, too late.
    According to an Associated Press story, the letter directly resulted in the NRA being barred from major sporting goods show in Houston, Laredo and McAllen, Texas.
    The letter also prompted the resignation of many long-standing NRA members including former President George Bush. Here is an excerpt from President Bush's 1995 letter to NRA associate president Thomas Washington:
    "I was outraged when, even in the wake of the Oklahoma City tragedy, Mr. Wayne LaPierre, Executive Vice President of NRA, defended his attack on federal agents as 'jack-booted thugs.' To attack Secret Service agents or ATF people or any government law enforcement people as 'wearing Nazi bucket helmets and black storm trooper uniforms' wanting to attack law-abiding citizens is a vicious slander on good people....
    I am a gun owner and an avid hunter. Over the years I have agreed with most of NRA's objectives, particularly your educational and training efforts, and your fundamental stance in favor of owning guns.
    However, your broadside against Federal agents deeply offends my own sense of decency and honor, and it offends my concept of service to country. It indirectly slanders a wide array of government law enforcement officials, who are out there, day and night, laying their lives on the line for all of us.
    You have not repudiated Mr. LaPierre's unwarranted attack. Therefore, I resign as a Life Member of NRA, said resignation to be effective upon your receipt of this letter. Please remove my name from your membership list." -- The letter was quoted in: Inside the NRA: Armed and Dangerous, by Jack Anderson, 1996.
    So far, the NRA has indicated no intention of issuing an apology for LaPierre's statements of last Sunday.
    http://usgovinfo.about.com/library/news/aa031400b.htm

There is no perfect Government, not one that all people would love. The best we can hope for is one that listens to the people in a truthful way and holds long traditions deep in his/her heart.

Just my 2 cents
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Frenchy, +1
    Quote Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
    Sgt....Do NOT piss off the wife, do NOT piss off the wife!
    Army Strong

These are my opinions, my opinions only. If you are offended, please, please, call Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton, I would like the notoriety.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast