Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Gun-rights group vows to game mayor's gun buyback effort

Last time they used the gift cards to buy ammo for NRA Youth camp! Gotta love this! All from anti-gun Chicago
    Thanks to Mayor Emanuel for the gift cards...............................

Gun-rights group vows to game mayor's gun buyback effort

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/7/7...00-gun-buyback

Hours after Mayor Rahm Emanuel announced a $250,000 gun buyback program on Monday, a downstate gun-rights advocate promised to come to Chicago to exploit it.

“We will be delighted to transact business once more with do-gooders in Chicago,” John Boch, executive director of Champaign-based Guns Save Life, said Monday.

Guns Save Life used Chicago’s 2012 gun buyback to embarrass city officials. That year, members said they turned in about 60 guns — some of them rusty and inoperable.

They received $100 MasterCard gift cards for each gun, which they used to buy ammunition for a National Rifle Association youth camp in Bloomington and bolt-action rifles to give away to campers.

Suburban Chicago gun dealers also took advantage of the no-questions-asked policy of the 2012 buyback to unload inventory worth less than $100 in exchange for the $100 cards, sources said.

At the time, city officials angrily accused Guns Save Life of abusing a program intended to take guns off the streets of Chicago and reduce violence. But Boch says the group was simply demonstrating the ineffectiveness of the program.

“Tell the mayor we need substance over symbolism,” he said Monday.

Boch is vowing to return to Chicago with another 50 or 60 guns to turn in.

“We will put that money to good use for public awareness efforts on our part,” he said. “We don’t need gun control, we need crime control.”

Anthony Guglielmi, spokesman for the Chicago Police Department, said officers will check to see whether turned-in guns are operable but won’t check the IDs of the people who bring them in.

“If people want to game the system, society is the victim,” he said. “I think those people need to ask themselves, are they part of the solution to reduce violence?”

Chicago Police collected about 5,500 guns in the 2012 buyback.

This year, the goal is to take 2,500 guns off the street. Once again, the city is providing $100 gift cards for each gun.

Churches and community organizations will advertise and organize the buyback events, which they will host. Police will collect the guns and provide the gift cards for them.

Chicago Police Supt. Garry McCarthy said the city’s buybacks recover assault weapons and other guns that gang members would almost certainly use to shoot people. (Mccarty is an-idiot)

“We get the parents and grandparents, we get the older brothers turning in the guns, so they’re actually taking the guns away from the kids who would be using them and giving them to us and in that case, you just can’t deny taking an assault rifle away from a gang banger is a good idea,” McCarthy said at a news conference Monday with the mayor and clergy at Greater Open Door Baptist Church on the West Side.

“Research can say whatever it wants, I can show you the examples,” McCarthy told reporters.

In a 2013 study, Anthony Braga, a Rutgers University professor, said municipal gun buybacks don’t seem to make a significant dent in violent crime.
    In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell

(Wayne County)

Default Re: Gun-rights group vows to game mayor's gun buyback effort

Quote Originally Posted by NRA Member View Post
    Last time they used the gift cards to buy ammo for NRA Youth camp! Gotta love this! All from anti-gun Chicago
    Thanks to Mayor Emanuel for the gift cards...............................

Gun-rights group vows to game mayor's gun buyback effort

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/7/7...00-gun-buyback

Hours after Mayor Rahm Emanuel announced a $250,000 gun buyback program on Monday, a downstate gun-rights advocate promised to come to Chicago to exploit it.

“We will be delighted to transact business once more with do-gooders in Chicago,” John Boch, executive director of Champaign-based Guns Save Life, said Monday.

Guns Save Life used Chicago’s 2012 gun buyback to embarrass city officials. That year, members said they turned in about 60 guns — some of them rusty and inoperable.

They received $100 MasterCard gift cards for each gun, which they used to buy ammunition for a National Rifle Association youth camp in Bloomington and bolt-action rifles to give away to campers.

Suburban Chicago gun dealers also took advantage of the no-questions-asked policy of the 2012 buyback to unload inventory worth less than $100 in exchange for the $100 cards, sources said.

At the time, city officials angrily accused Guns Save Life of abusing a program intended to take guns off the streets of Chicago and reduce violence. But Boch says the group was simply demonstrating the ineffectiveness of the program.

“Tell the mayor we need substance over symbolism,” he said Monday.

Boch is vowing to return to Chicago with another 50 or 60 guns to turn in.

“We will put that money to good use for public awareness efforts on our part,” he said. “We don’t need gun control, we need crime control.”

Anthony Guglielmi, spokesman for the Chicago Police Department, said officers will check to see whether turned-in guns are operable but won’t check the IDs of the people who bring them in.

“If people want to game the system, society is the victim,” he said. “I think those people need to ask themselves, are they part of the solution to reduce violence?”

Chicago Police collected about 5,500 guns in the 2012 buyback.

This year, the goal is to take 2,500 guns off the street. Once again, the city is providing $100 gift cards for each gun.

Churches and community organizations will advertise and organize the buyback events, which they will host. Police will collect the guns and provide the gift cards for them.

Chicago Police Supt. Garry McCarthy said the city’s buybacks recover assault weapons and other guns that gang members would almost certainly use to shoot people. (Mccarty is an-idiot)

“We get the parents and grandparents, we get the older brothers turning in the guns, so they’re actually taking the guns away from the kids who would be using them and giving them to us and in that case, you just can’t deny taking an assault rifle away from a gang banger is a good idea,” McCarthy said at a news conference Monday with the mayor and clergy at Greater Open Door Baptist Church on the West Side.

“Research can say whatever it wants, I can show you the examples,” McCarthy told reporters.

In a 2013 study, Anthony Braga, a Rutgers University professor, said municipal gun buybacks don’t seem to make a significant dent in violent crime.
    Just like a fool, the guns are the problem, not the people. 100 bucks to a gang banger is CHUMP CHANGE.

(Dauphin County)

officers will check to see whether turned-in guns are operable
    Sooner or later that policy will lead to a ND at a "buyback".
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by twency View Post
    The same thought crossed my mind. Any officer with no working knowledge or familiarity of ANY weapon shouldn't be handling it or checking it for function.

Having said that, how many times have we read posts about people being disarmed for "officer safety"? Scares me to even think about it.

I seem to recall a story wherein the gun-buy back idiots gave out 50 dollar cards for hi-cap magazines, and pro-gun folks bought 10 dollar surplus mags , sold them to the buy back and made out like kings in profits.

Serves those idiots right.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by twency View Post
    Any idea how many hits that would get on youtube?
    There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy - Dante.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
    I seem to recall a story wherein the gun-buy back idiots gave out 50 dollar cards for hi-cap magazines, and pro-gun folks bought 10 dollar surplus mags , sold them to the buy back and made out like kings in profits.

Serves those idiots right.
    That's all great as long as there are available mags to replace those with. There is no dollar amount to pay me for my mags if I can't get any more.

There are a lot of extremely realistic looking airsoft and toy guns out there, and plenty of pellet gun pistols that cost well under $100 brand new.

I wonder how easy a game this is.

I also wonder how many guns are stolen in the runnup to these events. Free hundred bucks, not trace left.
    Sic semper tyrannis

I doubt that any teen gangbanger is turning in his guns for chump change, that would be like a carpenter selling his hammer.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Bucks County)

...or believe the man when he say no questions asked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast