Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Consignment ?

(Lackawanna County)

Default Consignment ?

Can a FFL sell your handgun for you on consignment ? How does it work ? Average FFL % ?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Consignment ?

Yes- if willing, but if does not sell they have to transfer it back to you. So if you been naughty they will keep it. You have to check with the shop. I've seen it done mostly as a flat rate.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Berks County)

Some will. I don't know their average fee, but you would certainly be better off selling privately, like through the classifieds here.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    Yes- if willing, but if does not sell they have to transfer it back to you. So if you been naughty they will keep it. You have to check with the shop. I've seen it done mostly as a flat rate.
    Also have seen the FFLs if known to you as a good customer will sell your gun for you If up-gradeing for a more expensive purchase from them. They usually get an average though of 30% which means if they offer you cash and its close to what the gun can sell for its like apples and oranges.Rosco also right on with his advice and the FFL will charge you for the transfer especially if you have sellers remorse and want it back in short time. JMO/MDT

(Columbia County)

In my experience they are two ways gun shops sell on consignment. The first way is that you tell them what price you want to sell the gun for. Then they will either add their commission fee to that price or subtract their commission fee from the original price. For example if one wants to sell a gun for $500.00 and their fee for consignment is $50.00 you can tell them to add it to the sale price so it would sell for $550.00 or you can tell them to sell it for $500.00 and you will get 450.00 when it sells. In other words their commission is a fixed fee.

The second way (not recommended) is they will ask you what price you want to sell it for. Then they will add on their percentage on what they think they can really get for it. So for example if one wants to sell a gun for $500.00, if they ( the gun shop) think they can get $600.00 they will market it for that amount. When it sells (or should I say if it sells) you will get $500.00 and the FFl holder pockets the $100.00 he made on your gun. In this case their commission is variable.
    Hope this answers your question.
    Last edited by eagleclaw; October 17th, 2015 at 04:45 PM.

(Lackawanna County)

Yes information I was looking for, thanks to all.

(Lackawanna County)

Contact Advanced Arms in Pittson. I believe they will sell a gun for you on consignment.

(Montgomery County)

I once sold a PPK on consignment. I think I ended up with little over half of what it was going for retail, and it took months and months. I am just not comfortable selling guns privately. Besides, a few ads here didn’t move it anyway.

(Centre County)

I'm an FFL and I do consignments for people. I have a consignment form that is filled out and signed by both parties. I charge a flat percentage of the selling price. Typically when it sells I subtract the fee and the rest of the money goes to the seller. The seller also has the option to build in to the selling price any selling costs (shipping, BGC, etc.) and that is paid to me when the gun sells, then I get my percentage from the final amount. When the form is signed we determine what amount to start the sale at and if it doesn't sell in a set amount of time, the seller tells me, and it's listed on the form, when to drop the price x% or x$ until is sells. If the gun does not sell in a period of time the seller designates (on the form) then the seller will do the BGC when he picks the gun up and pays me for the BGC and any money I have expended trying to sell the gun. All of this is on the consignment form so there is no confusion.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member