Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Redhawk vs. Blackhawk

I am thinking about getting a Redhawk or Super Blackhawk for deer hunting. What are the pros/cons of these two? I would get a Super Blackhawk that was already set up for rings (hunter model) & I would get a maybe a super redhawk (and not just a redhawk). I would probably get in 44 mag., but if I would get a Super Redhawk I may consider a .454 Casull. Don't think that anything above a 44 mag is necessary for whitetail, but, nobody complains about a too powerful a cartridge. BTW, I would handload so I would be able to reduce the power of the 454 if it was too much for me.

BTW, I have a older S&W 629. Could I just put a scope on it? I am concerned about a heavy diet of heavy loads thru this gun. In addition, I am not sure what work would have to be done to mount a scope to this gun.
    Last edited by MMH; October 17th, 2015 at 08:11 AM.

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Redhawk vs. Blackhawk

If you drill and tap the 629 its value will be greatly reduced. Trade it in on a blackhawk.

(Allegheny County)

I have an older Redhawk in .44 and a new model Blackhawk in .41.
    I prefer the grip of the Redhawk.
    ive only taken one deer with the Redhawk and have not tsken the Blackhawk out.
    Neither are scoped.
    I use the Redhawk in thick cover on my weak side but the time i used it, i made a one handed shot at 40yds and the deer might have gone 30 yds

(Wayne County)

My 629 was already tapped and threaded from the factory. Look at the back strap with the cylinder open and see if can see the holes. All it takes if the holes are there is the removal of the buckhorn sight and buying proper mounts and scope. Ruger makes good pistols, single action or double.

(Westmoreland County)

I killed a deer with a Blackhawk in .45 Colt a few years ago, they are very capable weapons for hunting and seem to be a little lighter than the double action Ruger's. Still, there are certain advantages to a double action revolver. In .44 magnum I much prefer the Redhawk over the Super Redhawk which I feel is a bit over built for the .44 cartridge. The .454 Casull is an amazing round and has become my favorite magnum revolver cartridge. It shines especially well if you reload since you can load .45 Colts from mild cowboy type loads all the way up to loads that match or even slightly exceed the power of the .44 magnum on the low end and the Casull simply raises the bar from there. The Super Redhawk platform shines when combined with the .454 IMO.

(Mercer County)

If I were choosing between the RedHawk/Super RedHawk or BlackHawk my choice would be the blackhawk bisley hunter. There is no grip that fits my hand better or is comfortable to shot than the Bisley.

The bad experience I had with the super redhawk in .454 has soured me on the redhawk line. I send had to send that ruger back to the company three times in under 500 rounds--it was a real POS.
    Last edited by MOUNTAINORACLE; October 19th, 2015 at 05:17 AM.
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Somerset County)

I bought a Redhawk many years ago, if I had to do it over, I would probably buy a Blackhawk since I almost never shoot double action. Best bet is to see what fits your hand.

Dale

(Luzerne County)

If you plan on hunting with a scope, get the Super Redhawk.

If you plan on hunting with iron sights, get the Super Blackhawk.

I bought a SRH .44 mag this January. I've put about 1k rounds through the gun with no problems. Anything from light loaded .44 special to max hand loaded .44 mag. I did a trigger job on it and almost as smooth as a S&W. I plan on hunting with it with iron sights. I picked up a FO front sight which makes it easier to see in lower light. I don't see the DA is much of a benefit after shooting it for a while. I wind up cocking it before each shot anyway. The SBH is a lot cheaper so it might be something to consider. If you want to use a scope the SRH is set up from the factory and comes with rings which is convenient. If I had a 686 I wouldn't bother buying anything else, I would use that. They are sweet guns.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

I would go with the Black Hawk because when every you get a kill you can say Black Hawk Down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast