Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Dauphin County)

Default Stroudsburg anti-gun ordinance 9-2011

Just wondering if anyone here is familiar with this http://stroudtownship.org/wp-content...1-Firearms.pdf

Kind of ridiculous if you ask me. What do you guys think?
    Vote Hillary for Prison 2016

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Stroudsburg anti-gun ordinance 9-2011

I don't think it so unusual. What I find missing from it and other such ordinances is a carve out for a firearm fired in self defense. Even with my PA LTCF, if I were to shoot at a person attacking me, I could have my gun confiscated and be fined $600 while a LEO shooting at an unarmed person is off the hook.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I don't think it so unusual. What I find missing from it and other such ordinances is a carve out for a firearm fired in self defense. Even with my PA LTCF, if I were to shoot at a person attacking me, I could have my gun confiscated and be fined $600 while a LEO shooting at an unarmed person is off the hook.
    So long as safety is a paramount (as in you're meeting the legal requirements for a backstop, following 4 rules at all times, etc, etc, etc) and the information below is being adhered to, I think within reason, you should be able to target shoot on your own property. Also, you'll notice the ordinance does not apply to hunting. So you CAN shoot on your own property, but only if you're in the process of harvesting (or attempting to harvest) an animal. So basically, I can shoot groundhogs but I can't shoot paper regardless of how well my backstop is constructed.

34 Pa.C.S. § 2507. Restrictions on shooting

(a) General rule.–It is unlawful for any person during the open season for the taking of any big game other than turkey to:

(1) Shoot at any mark or target other than legal game or wildlife with a firearm of any kind or a bow and arrow.

. . .

(b) Exceptions.–This section shall not be construed to apply in any manner to:

. . .

(4) Shooting at a properly constructed target or mark or a dead tree protected by a natural or artificial barrier so that the ball, bullet or arrow cannot travel more than 15 yards beyond the target aimed at, after making due allowance for deflection in any direction not to exceed an angle of 45 degrees. Target shooting shall only be lawful when it is done:

(i) Upon property owned by the shooter or by a guest of the property owner.

(ii) Within 200 yards of the camp or other headquarters where the person shooting is quartered or is an invited guest or visitor.
    Last edited by BallisticSheepDog76; October 13th, 2015 at 08:42 PM.
    Vote Hillary for Prison 2016

(Monroe County)

IIRC, this ordinance had something to do with shooting at random. Example, shooting into the air at celebrations is common with some ethnicities but not conducive to generally accepted firearms safety practices. I have worked in Stroud Township for twenty-five years and managed to not have any firearms confiscated or incur any fines by practicing responsible firearms safety.