Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default It isn't always about the "killing"

I went out archery hunting tonight knowing full well that with winds gusting close to 30 mph and the temps in the lower 70s that my chance of seeing a buck that I would shoot were about slim to none. I went anyway wanting to attach a seat pad and pull rope to my new stand. About an hour in to the hunt, I was surprised to see a kestrel swoop down and quietly make the local chipmunk population one less. If that wasn't enough, I was treated to the eerie sound of a great horned owl about thirty minutes till dark. He was persistent and continued to hoot until after I climbed down and walked out of the woods in the dark. I didn't kill a mountable 8 or better, or even a doe. I still consider it a great night out hunting though.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: It isn't always about the "killing"

Best part about hunting is being in the woods and seeing whatever it is you see, bagging something is a bonus. I'm heading out Wed. after work, it will be my first time out this year.

(Allegheny County)

My father-in-law has for his entire life gone out deer hunting and, from what I understand, has yet to kill anything. My wife is convinced that he just goes out and sits under a tree and relaxes.

(Wayne County)

Ar15jules, lots of people don't take the time to smell fresh air. I love sitting and just watching spiders spin webs. I love the smell of rotting vegetation or the sweet smell of pine. Its great to be alive.

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    Best part about hunting is being in the woods and seeing whatever it is you see, bagging something is a bonus. I'm heading out Wed. after work, it will be my first time out this year.
    Good luck. The weather is going to be crappy here on Wednesday. I am a fair weather archer until the rut starts.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    Good luck. The weather is going to be crappy here on Wednesday. I am a fair weather archer until the rut starts.
    I like fowl weather hunting, I've taken 3 good bucks on days most people won't go out. I'm looking forward to the rut as well that's the reason for the late start, I like rattling and grunting them in, works like a charm later in the season.

Good luck as well, keep us updated as I will do the same, the real hunting starts at the end of the month.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityK9Cop View Post
    My father-in-law has for his entire life gone out deer hunting and, from what I understand, has yet to kill anything. My wife is convinced that he just goes out and sits under a tree and relaxes.
    Nothing wrong with that, believe me I've taken more deer with a bow than I can remember, but I've also spent countless hours of time just enjoying being out there, it truly is very relaxing, stress free and peaceful.

(Chester County)

I've always felt that it is more about what you're not doing on a given day.
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

Aside from seeing cool stuff I just like venison. Anti's can't seem to grasp that. "O you just like to kill stuff" they say." No' I just like certain types of wild game. Also, hunting helps me connect with a by gone era when people truly had to work to survive. Harvesting a deer helps give me gratitude for our easy modern lives where we can just go to a grocery store.