Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Revolver cylinder not spinning.** Updated with pics **

A friend of mine just made me a very reasonable offer on purchasing a very neglected Taurus Raging Bull 44 Magnum. It's not a revolver I necessarily long for but I'm always looking for a project. It needs some serious cosmetic work but before I commit to that I want to make sure I can get it to run. The hammer cocks and falls with a pull of the trigger but the cylinder spins freely with the hammer either down or cocked. It does not turn when cocking the hammer or using a double action pull. Right off the bat I see the cylinder stop is not engaging and the yoke retention screw is missing. Any suggestions as to what I should look into? I know Taurus offers their warranty but due to the exterior condition of this revolver I feel it's obviously neglected and they would probably turn it away. Thanks in advance, Brian
    Last edited by bripro; October 11th, 2015 at 02:49 PM.

Default Re: Revolver cylinder not spinning.

It sounds to me that the hand is not engaging. The hand moves up and down turning the cylinder. If the price is right it can probably be fixed for a few bucks. Did you ask him who took out the yoke retention screw. I cant imagine the few parts that it may take would be very expensive. It's not like we know your friends, so what is a very reasonable price?
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

You may want to pop off the side plate and take a look. Maybe a good cleaning is all it needs. At least that will give you an idea as to what may be involved. Numrich Gun Parts is an option if it needs a part. If you don't find anything noticeable and can't repair it yourself you may still want to contact Taurus. The best way is to use the chat feature on there site as that is usually quicker than a phone call. They may surprise you and handle the warranty repair in spite of the condition.
    Rick - NRA Endowment Member
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation

Daycrawler gave good info,Sounds like the indexing arm that rotates the cylinder is broken off.Its an easy repair if you have some knowledge of smithing and Taurus should be able to send you the part thru the mail.A fair estimate of value ? well it is broken $200-$250 is all I would pay. JMO/MDT After seeing the Pics of the Taurus ? My estimate was way too generous ! Given the condition ,I see a tremendous amount of effort will be needed to resurrect this one ! Not being cruel just an honest opinion.FREE would be the best to offer,Just to get the experience of trying to fix this one. Good Luck ! JMO/MDT
    Last edited by MARINE DIVISION TWO; October 9th, 2015 at 09:46 PM.

(Lycoming County)

A call to Taurus would probably be a good place to start. See if they will honor the warranty. As was said the parts to fix it shouldn't be very expensive, but Taurus doesn't sell parts to the public generally. It can make them kind of hard to find. Numrich carries some stuff though.

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    Taurus should be able to send you the part thru the mail.
    Taurus is kind of wiggy on this. I know for their semi-auto's, anything that is made in Brazil is on the restricted parts list (have to send it back). Revolvers may be different. Hope for OP that is the case.
    Rick - NRA Endowment Member
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation

(Bucks County)

Highly recommend tracking down a place to get the parts first! I had a Raging Bull I was working on a few years back and I needed a new hand, they would not sell me anything! I ended up telling the owner to send it in to Taurus because I can not find the parts anywhere.

(Lancaster County)

The price is one hundred dollars as is. Its not a no brainer though. Im going to take it home tonight to tinker with it. Ill get some pictures up. The story goes like this.......the revolver originally belonged to my friends adult son. It was stolen from his truck and recovered and returned by police about two years later. It looks like whoever took it stored it outside under a pile of mulch or something because it is really, I mean really, rough. In the elapsed time his son became no longer eligible to possess firearms so my friend had to put it in his name. It sat in his basement a few years until the subject of guns came up at work and he mentioned it. I'd love to bring it back to life but it really might be too far gone. I'll let the experts here at the forum help me decide after I get the pictures up.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    The price is one hundred dollars as is. Its not a no brainer though. Im going to take it home tonight to tinker with it. Ill get some pictures up. The story goes like this.......the revolver originally belonged to my friends adult son. It was stolen from his truck and recovered and returned by police about two years later. It looks like whoever took it stored it outside under a pile of mulch or something because it is really, I mean really, rough. In the elapsed time his son became no longer eligible to possess firearms so my friend had to put it in his name. It sat in his basement a few years until the subject of guns came up at work and he mentioned it. I'd love to bring it back to life but it really might be too far gone. I'll let the experts here at the forum help me decide after I get the pictures up.
    For a c-note, I'd probably give it a shot. Even if it costs a couple hundred to get it running and refinished you'd still be ahead.

(Bucks County)

aside from that crane screw, it sounds like a week in a bucket of transmission fluid may be all it needs.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast