Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Revolver cylinder not spinning.

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    Not bad. I hope you get that puppy running. Big bores are fun to shoot.
    Rick - NRA Endowment Member
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    A rather boring pic.

(Lycoming County)

To be honest, I was expecting worse from your original description. Shouldn't be too bad of a project. Definitely worth $100, even if it'll take some work.

What would concern me, other than the difficulty of finding the parts to repair & complete this .44, is finding someone dumb enough to hold it in his favorite hand and pull the trigger.

I haven't done any surveys on this, but I suspect that few people think that years of neglect, abuse, and amateur tinkering by a gun thief, would make a gun safer to use.

I might look into having the thing X-rayed before touching off any full power loads.

There was a tort case a few years back, where some guy worked at a factory, filling in for people taking breaks. He picked up a grinder and began abrading away at some object, and the grinding disc broke apart, sending chunks everywhere, including parts of his body which were not thereby improved. He sued the manufacturer of the disc, and lost, because the court pointed out that he had no idea what sort of abuse the prior users had subjected it to. This revolver is kind of like that.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    There was a tort case a few years back, where some guy worked at a factory, filling in for people taking breaks. He picked up a grinder and began abrading away at some object, and the grinding disc broke apart, sending chunks everywhere, including parts of his body which were not thereby improved. He sued the manufacturer of the disc, and lost, because the court pointed out that he had no idea what sort of abuse the prior users had subjected it to. This revolver is kind of like that.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Lancaster County)

I guess Im intimidated being my first potential salvage job. I have it for the weekend and I either buy it or donate any time I have into it back to my friend.

Last edited by bripro; October 11th, 2015 at 02:58 PM.

Lots of tlc ,you can do it !
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    ... I know Taurus offers their warranty but due to the exterior condition of this revolver I feel it's obviously neglected and they would probably turn it away. Thanks in advance, Brian
    Wow, you made quick work of this one
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

(Lancaster County)

^^LOL^^

Im actually trying to go backwards on this one. Making it better is definitely a new concept for me.

Anyway I got the rust off and cleaned all the internals. I appreciate the good suggestions but I used what I had at the house which was just Liquid Wrench, some going over with a wire wheel, 220 grit sand paper and Flitz metal polish. Thanks to an awesome PDF sent to me by R_L_Suehr I was able to confirm I could borrow the parts needed to make it run from my little Taurus 85. I will probably turn it back over to my friend at work after removing my parts and give him the numbers to try to order them from Taurus. That leaves the broken frame near the second cylinder latch and a refinish. Will a good Cerakote job fill in the pits? I have a feeling he will do nothing, not even order the parts, but I want to at least offer some suggestions. Weve already talked about Barbecue paint! Im fighting the temptation to shoot it today even with the broken second latch. My 629 only has one and it works.

DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

Gretsch or Ludwig ? Even though you did a good job at cleaning up a bit,no type of coat will fill in the pits.Tried resurrecting an old S&W model 10 years ago and was not worth the time.I would still have this gun sent in to Taurus for evaluation if they will do it for free.Would it not be a wonderful world if Taurus sent you back an brand new raging bull ? Give it a shot,pun intended. JMO/MDT

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast