Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Cougar sighting in Bucks County

I can dig it better with pictures. ;-)
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    Pretty much. What is the point of denying it though ? That I don't understand
    The wanting to see good in everything part of me thought that it may have been their strategy for protecting them. I find that most people that encounter a Cougar tend to want it dead out of fear.

In reality they are most likely an agency that is at the mercy of politics as usual. If a native population of Cougars still existed in PA their protection would financially hurt the campaign donors that make fortunes in real estate deals. Despite sightings and other evidence going back over a century the Eastern Cougar was declared extinct a few years ago. Now when it is proven that we do have Cougars they will be declared Western Cougars that traveled East and will not be protected by Federal Law.

In the 80's a man proved that Eastern Cougars aka the Florida Panther still existed. Western Cougars were brought in for breeding purposes under the guise of saving the species from extinction. They were really brought in to dilute the blood of Eastern Cougars so they could later be declared Western Cougars. How much land development has taken place and how many fortunes in real estate transactions have taken place since the 80's? Think about it.

(Bucks County)

Lots of "cougars" in Buckingham:

DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

Sir,Would you like TWA coffee or TWATea,Stewardess greeting on my out bound flight when I was in the Military ! MDT

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by eyecanshoot View Post
    In the 80's a man proved that Eastern Cougars aka the Florida Panther still existed. Western Cougars were brought in for breeding purposes under the guise of saving the species from extinction. They were really brought in to dilute the blood of Eastern Cougars so they could later be declared Western Cougars. How much land development has taken place and how many fortunes in real estate transactions have taken place since the 80's? Think about it.
    The Florida panthers are/were the last of the eastern cougars. In order for a species to survive it's got to have a diverse gene pool and a sustainable population to breed. Once the panthers dropped below 50 in Florida in the 1980's they started getting inbred and having issues. They brought in western cougars to essentially save the population from extinction.

And that is why there are no cougars/mountain lions/panthers here in PA. There is no sustainable population to support them. If there was you would know they are there because they frequently get hit by cars and leave lots of sign around.

It is known the western cougar population has pushed east and it is possible that a young single male could make it to PA, but at the moment it would take decades to establish a population.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    The Florida panthers are/were the last of the eastern cougars. In order for a species to survive it's got to have a diverse gene pool and a sustainable population to breed. Once the panthers dropped below 50 in Florida in the 1980's they started getting inbred and having issues. They brought in western cougars to essentially save the population from extinction.

And that is why there are no cougars/mountain lions/panthers here in PA. There is no sustainable population to support them. If there was you would know they are there because they frequently get hit by cars and leave lots of sign around.

It is known the western cougar population has pushed east and it is possible that a young single male could make it to PA, but at the moment it would take decades to establish a population.
    Thank you for repeating the official story but I know that it isn't true.

(Bucks County)

Once the panthers dropped below 50 in Florida in the 1980's they started getting inbred and having issues.
    Sorta makes me wonder how Adam and Eve ever viably took off and survived.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by eyecanshoot View Post
    Thank you for repeating the official story but I know that it isn't true.
    Given the lack of any, and I mean any, proof of cougars in PA--no verifiable game cam photos, no cell phone photos, no dead cougars (everything gets hit by cars) and repeated calls by every publication in the state to bring proof--I'm going to say a breeding population of cougars is as likely as Bigfoot.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

I agree. There is not a breeding population of Cougars in PA. It would be huge news in the wildlife community if it were true.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    Given the lack of any, and I mean any, proof of cougars in PA--no verifiable game cam photos, no cell phone photos, no dead cougars (everything gets hit by cars) and repeated calls by every publication in the state to bring proof--I'm going to say a breeding population of cougars is as likely as Bigfoot.
    Yes. The people that proclaim there are cougars in PA have yet to produce any evidence of sign, which they leave everywhere else they exist. It's pretty common out west they get clocked by cars, leave dead kills around, scat, tree marks, etc. You see none of that here. Add in these days the widespread use of trail cams and surely you would find some evidence. I put up a trail cam on my property and within the first day had video of a bear and every day have video and pics of deer and other animals. Surely here in PA with all the trail cams you'd snag a cougar.

Is there a possibility that there could be a released pet running around or perhaps a young male that ranged out east in search of territory? Sure. Back in the late 60's a hunter in PA shot a cougar, but it's DNA later showed it to be of Costa Rican origin and hence a released or escaped pet. But are there cougars running wild around the state, eating, breeding, pooping, getting hit my cars, etc.? No, there is no evidence for it.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast