Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Delco LTCF process question

Hello everyone this is my first post on this site, I have been browsing on here the past we months and just registered an account today, it's amazing all the information and help you can get on here. So I bought my first firearm about a year ago, and have gone through safety classes and lots of time at the range and feel 100% confident in myself owning one. I bought originally for home defense but seeing how crazy this world is getting everyday I feel like I should register for my LTCF to protect myself outside of my home if need be. I will be going to the Delaware county courthouse to fill out the app but here is the problem that has been holding me back. It sounds crazy but I live with a very anti gun hippie and I don't want her to even know about me owning a gun, which I've had for the past year. I know when you go fill in the app they send you a response by mail when your approved. When I'm at work she is home to get the mail and go through it, and I don't want her to see a letter that I will have to explain what it is, if anyone could tell me what the return address says on the envolope that would be great. I'm guessing it will say Delaware county sheriffs department, I'm not sure how you could explain getting mail from the sheffifs department would be for, and I'm pretty sure they can't send the letter to a PO box. I know some of you will say why don't you just tell her about the firearm but it will just cause big problems along the road if she knows. But like I said the way this world is going, I'll be damned if I can't defend myself when someone if trying to do harm to me or my family

Default Re: Delco LTCF process question

Hello,

Bring your ID and a prefilled SP 4-127 to the courthouse. Go through the metal detectors and the office is on your immediate right, there will probably be other people there too. Wait your turn in line if there is one and talk to the lady at the Gun Permit desk through the doors and to the right. Give them your ID, application, and $20 cash and you'll have your picture taken. In the next week or two you should receive an approval letter in the mail. Bring your ID and the letter to the courthouse, have your picture taken again, and in about 20 minutes you'll get your card.

6: PA
    7b: state or foreign country of birth
    8: LEAVE BLANK, despite the sign at the courthouse providing your SSN will not speed up the process
    28: check self defense
    Last edited by greenjohn88; October 7th, 2015 at 12:01 PM.

(Delaware County)

The return address on the envelope that contains your approval or denial is from the Sheriff's department.

I should tell you to grow a pair and deal with your GF but I myself do some sneaky things behind my wife's back when it comes to my gun buying habits in order to avoid a shit-storm so I know where you're coming from.

You can place a mail hold with the USPS online. They'll hold your mail for you at the post office starting and ending on the dates that you specify and you can go pick it up. When you turn in your app, you might ask to put a post-it note on it and ask them to call you when they send out the approval, then that will give you an idea of when the letter will show up and you can put the mail-hold on. It's an option you might consider.

(Indiana County)

If you have a PO box, have them send it there. Your mailing address and your physical address are two different things.

(Delaware County)

Delco wont send it to a PO Box.
    SEMPER GUMBY

(Chester County)

The envolope says:

DELAWARE COUNTY
    SHERIFF'S OFFICE
    201 WEST FRONT STREET
    MEDIA PA 19063-2708

They wont send it to your P.O. Box. IIRC they took about 25-26 days to get the letter to me, you could try to time it so it arrives on a saturday. If your mom sees it you could tell her you applied for a concealed weapons permit so you won't have to worry about getting into any trouble for carrying a pocket knife? I guess it depends how much she knows about state laws and how much she'll research.
    Last edited by WoollyPullover; October 14th, 2015 at 10:26 PM.

(Chester County)

Just tell her it's a parking ticket or jury summons or something like that.

(Delaware County)

I made my GF get one a week after I received mine, mine took 15 days and hers took 13 days. Putting the social security helps from what I have seen. A friend of mine did his and it took 4 weeks without a social.

(Chester County)

Not sure how convenient it would be for you but I got my LCTF before they even sent the notice out. The Sheriff's office was on my beaten path so I started checking in (started about 2 weeks after applied) - my timing turned out to be perfect because they had my notice at the desk. They gave me my LCTF and handed me the notice at the same time.

[FYI - In case you were wondering, I got my LCTF from Delco before I moved to Chesco]
    Last edited by GoodToGo; October 20th, 2015 at 10:09 PM.

(Delaware County)

I'm sorry, off topic, but please get out that relationship before you have kids. It's going to be toxic.