Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Venango County)

Default Re: Federal Grand Jury Summons ---Philadelphia

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    Not sure it works the same as being picked for jury duty.

I have no experience, but it must be different as a Grand Jury hands down indictments (or not).

Basically, they determine if there is enough evidence to initiate a trial or not. Not sure if there are other duties or considerations. If there are, can anyone elaborate, please?
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by TaePo View Post
    I have no experience, but it must be different as a Grand Jury hands down indictments (or not).

Basically, they determine if there is enough evidence to initiate a trial or not. Not sure if there are other duties or considerations. If there are, can anyone elaborate, please?
    After reading this; http://campus.udayton.edu/~grandjur/faq/faq2.htm

Zeke might be in for the long haul if put on a federal grand jury.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Perry County)

Go the Nuge route.

Seriously though, best of luck. Just having to go to Philly makes my skin crawl.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Philadelphia County)

My friend was chosen for grand jury in phila and she has a schedule to report twice a week.... For 18 months! That's brutal.
    Go head, skin it. Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens.

(Berks County)

Especially brutal if you live an hour away like me!
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    Go the Nuge route.

Seriously though, best of luck. Just having to go to Philly makes my skin crawl.
    No shit!

Even if called, I seriously doubt I'd ever get selected for any kind of jury duty. I'm retired from the DOC & I think everybody's guilty.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke2A View Post
    I have been summoned to the James A. Byrne building at 601 Market Street Philadelphia for a grand jury summons on Oct 15th and 16th . My # 1 question since I will be staying at a hotel is do they provide firearm lockers at this facility as they do at county courthouses. I cannot locate anything online . If I have to I can leave my firearm in the hotel safe. I will not lock it in my car .

Because this is a Federal Building I am assuming that laws are different than the local courthouses ( I have had zero issues in Berks country with checking my firearm) .
    Any info at all would be appreciated as this date is quickly approaching.
    Not all county court houses will store a firearm. Depends on local policy. I've been in 3 fed courts and all have very clear signage saying no weapons.

Thanks , its what I thought and feared , I assume I cant even bring my flashlight.

Any thoughts on a decent hotel in the area.
    I've carried a light. The only ones that get a lot of scrutiny are the crenulated bezels because they are designed to be a defensive weapon.

Christ what a nightmare ....this will play hell with work and isn't cheap either....hopefully none of the lawyers like me and I'm only stuck there for Thursday and Friday .....then dismissed ....time to break out the DTOM and Molon Labe lapel pins.
    Your instructions will probably tell you not to wear any clothing or accessories that state a religious, political, or other controversial point of view. If you wear the pins expect the bailiffs to tell you to remove them.

There is no rhyme or reason to the selection process. I have been summoned three times for fed jury duty and rejected immediately when I checked "yes" to the question of active duty military. At one point I called and told the clerk I wanted to serve but they refused stating the military clause couldnt be waived. This past summer I got selected for county jury duty. I went into it thinking it was a waste of time and expected to be sent home early the first day. I explained to the clerk I was active duty, law enforcement background, years working with various agencies, blah blah.... and asking if I was going to spend time waiting and never be selected. She basically told me to go have a seat and keep waiting. I was non select twice and finally picked on day 4 as an alternate.

(Lehigh County)

Found this link: http://www.uscourts.gov/file/2804/download

It is the grand jury handbook!

Good luck!

For regular federal juries there is this:

http://www.uscourts.gov/file/2802/download

That is the petit jury handbook.

(Bucks County)

I know that like Jury Duty its a real PIA but its part of your responsibility as a citizen. Try to embrace it as such and make the best of it. Not like you really have a choice

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    Go the Nuge route.

He will be in Center City, not walking through the Badlands.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast