Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Gen 4 Glock Backstrap Question

This is specifically in regards to the Glock 26, but suppose it would apply to all. I know Gen 4's have the additional backstraps. When handling NIB Gen 4 pistols, what backstrap do they have installed?

Are they typically set without them? Middle? Etc?

I really do like Glocks but got rid of my past two due to them not fully fitting my hand properly. One of them was a Gen 3 26. I've been toying with a Gen 4 26 and have handled them at various shops, but always forget to ask that question.

Thanks if anyone knows!
    I forgot how much I missed the slang from the 70's and 80's: "Bite me, dig?"

Default Re: Gen 4 Glock Backstrap Question

Typically they do no have any strap installed when they come in. I have smallish hands for my size and prefer the GEN4 with no back strap installed however when it came to the 26 I felt no difference between the 3 and 4 without any strap installed.

(Washington County)

They come without a backstrap, without one is considered a "small". Included with pistol is a medium and large.
    I prefer no backstrap.
    FOAC Member, NRA Member

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Typically they do no have any strap installed when they come in. I have smallish hands for my size and prefer the GEN4 with no back strap installed however when it came to the 26 I felt no difference between the 3 and 4 without any strap installed.
    That is my concern. I noticed very little to no difference in feel between the Gen 3 and Gen 4 26. While I shot the 26 fine two handed, I simply didn't feel as comfortable with the Gen 3 using it one handed as I did single stacks. The Gen 4 did feel like it had a more 'positive' gripping surface on the stock frames, though (i.e. w/o tape or some other addition).

I will have to check them out further. Hopefully, I can find someplace that has both side by side since I no longer own my 26.

Thanks both for your input and will research further!

I do like the more aggressive texture on the gen 4's but on the 26 it wasn't worth the extra $50.00 or so more. The big issue is the hump or the way the grip bulged out on the back the best thing to do is a frame reduction then add a talon grip over it.

Advanced Arms in Pittston is where I purchased my 26 and 17 they had just about everyone of them in stock in both generations.
    Last edited by Hodgie; September 30th, 2015 at 09:40 PM.

(Westmoreland County)

I thought the same when I had my Gen 3 26, until I began shooting with it more. When I began going through some of my defensive shooting drills, I simply wasn't 100% comfortable with it. In hindsight, wish I'd have spent the extra $50, got the extra mag with it and may have kept it. With the extra mag, may have only been a nominal price difference.

I'm out east of Pgh so think Pittston is a little far. One of the box stores may have both in stock. I'll have to call around.

Thanks so much for the info.

(Westmoreland County)

By the way, either of you know why the Glock trigger guards have the funky notch up front? Why not a contoured trigger guard? Probably one of the reasons they look so dang ugly. But for the price and if they (almost) always go bang, beginning to worry about that less.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by SwampFoxZ71 View Post
    By the way, either of you know why the Glock trigger guards have the funky notch up front? Why not a contoured trigger guard? Probably one of the reasons they look so dang ugly. But for the price and if they (almost) always go bang, beginning to worry about that less.
    The funky notch with the grooves on the trigger guard is good for placing against barricades.
    FOAC Member, NRA Member

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by M&P Chris View Post
    The funky notch with the grooves on the trigger guard is good for placing against barricades.
    I can see that for LEO and military maybe, but the rest of us? I know, helps keep the costs down. Still love shooting them.

(Berks County)

I remember when the front of the trigger guard went square and then a little hook. It was said to be for the off hand trigger finger to grab and keep the muzzle down. Not too many people can make that work but instead of doing away with it, it was suddenly supposed to be for barricade work. On a glock it makes for an extra strong place to lock a plastic holster to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast