Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Recommended Load of 26" 20 gauge OU

I'm looking for shell recommendations for a 26" 20 gauge OU shotgun used mainly for non-competition skeet shooting. I have been shooting Federal 2 3/4" 8 shot which seemed to be fine but have had a lot of people tell me I should be shooting Remington 2 3/4" 9 shot loads. Both are the same price at Dicks Sporting Goods. I am an intermediate skill level who shoots around 6-8 a year mostly for fun. If a shell around the same price point (about $7 for 25) will help increase my hit percentage a little I would use it. However if your recommendation is more expensive I will probably just stick with the lower price point ammo.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Recommended Load of 26" 20 gauge OU

I would suggest that you ask EM about this. He could plainly answer your question.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Recommended Load of 26" 20 gauge OU

9 shot will give you more pellets thrown down range, which could improve your hit percentage. I've not noticed much difference between brands, but I've been buying rio 9 shot 12 ga loads to use for sporting clays. They are cheap, usually 6-7 a box, sometimes you can get them cheaper. Check where you shoot, sometimes a range will restrict what size shot you can use. For recreational shooting like your doing, you probably won't see the difference between brands. But going from 8's to 9's you might pick up a few hits. I liked the 9's over the 7.5's and even 8's myself. So get a few boxes and see how they shoot for you. Put your flame suit on, your about to get burned for saying you shop at d*ck's...