Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default PICS isn't supposed to be about MONEY! Let's FIX it.

PICS checks are currently required for EVERY purchase or transfer of a firearm in Pennsylvania. Why?

It certainly isn't to confirm the transferee/purchaser isn't a prohibited person, or to prevent criminals from legally obtaining firearms.

How do we know this is a FACT?

Easy. Buy a firearm more than once in a month. More than once in a year. More than once every 5 years.

How many PICS background checks will you have to endure...AND PAY FOR???

Answer: EVERY SINGLE TIME!

But what if you have a LTCF? If convicted of a crime (or even under investigation or suspicion of certain things), it can be REVOKED (unless your name is "Kathleen Kane", then you can keep your LTCF AND your LEO exemptions!).

Many offices (I wouldn't presume to say "all" as I haven't been to them all) as SOP give notice to the local authority to revoke LTCF in such cases.

Therefore, if you still have a VALID LTCF, it can reasonably be presumed you are NOT a prohibited person.

It would not be difficult (and indeed much less expensive) to institute and maintain an automated listing of REVOKED LTCF in Pennsylvania that could be checked by submitting the cardholder's LTCF, JUST LIKE A CREDIT CARD MACHINE. It could even be a toll-free number that a private citizen could use to verify the non-revoked status of another private citizen's LTCF, thereby permitting face-to-face, private firearms transactions.

The system would be so simple and cheap to use, it could and should be FREE, WITHOUT FEES TO LTCF HOLDERS.

So why not? Why require a PICS EVERY time?

Answer: Because of MONEY!

Ahhh....not so fast, you say. The FFL dealers collect a fee for their time, can't expect them to work for free, right? True...

BUT...it isn't always about the money you GIVE to someone (organization, fees, etc), it is sometimes about the money you TAKE from someone. In this case, it is a de facto TAX, FEE, PENALTY, OPPRESSION TARIFF (whatever you want to call it) imposed on valid LTCF holders, who have by choice submitted themselves to be deemed not afoul of the law or character in making application for such.

So how do you DETER people from buying firearms? By imposing fees and other harassments upon each transactions- under the guise of "public safety"

To put things into perspective, how often are School Teachers subjected to a background check? Annually. How about Police Officers, who one could argue are in a position to cause much more harm than an ordinary citizen if they run afoul of the law (and enjoy wide-sweeping EXEMPTIONS to many gun related rules and regulations and gun free zones)? Annually, maybe longer?

Military personnel? Is there an annual background check for them?

Can you imagine any of these groups being required to pay a FEE several times a year to confirm the background check they already submitted to several times in a given year. How about more than once per MONTH???

Absurd! You say? But of course it is, that is the POINT!

Yet, here we are in Pennsylvania and we accept such nonsense. We submit to the CONTROL and OPPRESSION of those who wish to exercise their 2nd Amendment Right by those who would like to erode or gravely restrict that Right.

So if there is a way to ease the BURDEN unfairly placed upon LTCF holders, in opposition to their 2nd Amendment Right, whilst still protecting the public safety in the form of deterrent of transfers to prohibited persons, AND extending and enhancing the ability of this deterrent to PRIVATE TRANSFERS (including gun shows, etc), WHY NOT?

Why indeed? MONEY. Law abiding LTCF holders wouldn't be PENALIZED and DETERRED from purchasing firearms. They would, however, have the ability to keep their PRIVATE transfers PRIVATE and out of the PSP "non-database, database of firearms"

It is perfectly reasonable as an effective way to Preserve and Protect the Rights of Responsible Citizens who choose to obtain and maintain LTCFs in Pennsylvania.

It answers as a solution all the public protection requirements and preservation of Citizens' Rights, but it does NOT promote the surreptitious agendas of the Anti-Gun, Anti-Rights groups.

Think it has merit? Tell me "why not" before we get it written in a Bill and sponsored
    I Dial 1911

(Indiana County)

Default Re: PICS isn't supposed to be about MONEY! Let's FIX it.

Quote Originally Posted by PreserveandProtect View Post
    PICS checks are currently required for EVERY purchase or transfer of a firearm in Pennsylvania. Why?

It certainly isn't to confirm the transferee/purchaser isn't a prohibited person, or to prevent criminals from legally obtaining firearms.

How do we know this is a FACT?

Easy. Buy a firearm more than once in a month. More than once in a year. More than once every 5 years.

How many PICS background checks will you have to endure...AND PAY FOR???

Answer: EVERY SINGLE TIME!

<SNIP>
    While I am all for abolishing the PICS system, I bought a gun legally last week without a PICS check.

When you start your "argument" off with a falsehood, the rest is easily dismissed by most people.

yea its not every purchase, you can get multiple firearms on 1 pics call at a dealer, and private sales of longguns is legal without "transfer"

(Lancaster County)

It seems the system you're proposing would be one where you can get a background check that's good for a length of time, let's say for a year.

So someone goes in to a gunshop in January gets a background check and is cleared and buys a firearm. February, his wife that he's been beating, files a PFA and the sheriffs show up and seize his firearms. March he goes in and buys another firearm because he's already been cleared by the check in January.

Is that the kind of system you're envisioning?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Jefferson County)

The only real changes we need to make to PICS are:

1. Move the funding from the surcharge base to the general fund. ...This background check is for the benefit of all in the state, not just the gun buyers.
    2. Allow those with LTCF's to bypass the background check like other states who's licenses are valid for 5 years or less.
    3. Invest in better redundant systems(computers/servers).
    4. Invest in better redundant data connections(something to be worked out with the local telecom - I design such for other parts of the state).
    5. In predicted times of heavy purchases, have more available operators on hand.
    6. Better/more training of the operators.

I can attest that dealing with the PSP in Harrisburg is far better than dealing with the FBI in Clarksburg WV.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

7. Require all politicians get a PICS before being listed on a ballot, and a drug test before swearing in. Random tests throughout term of service.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    It seems the system you're proposing would be one where you can get a background check that's good for a length of time, let's say for a year.
    If my memory is working, at one time if you had an LTCF you did not have to go through the background check. Even with that, I could have the aforementioned PFA against me and I could still have my LTCF in my possession.

To me, a quick phone call is fair. I do think that Pennsylvania should go with NICS which is free to the consumer and dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    I can attest that dealing with the PSP in Harrisburg is far better than dealing with the FBI in Clarksburg WV.
    I have never had to deal with PICS as a dealer but never had a problem with NICS. All of my customers who were put into "research" were cleared by the end of the business day.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Bearded One View Post
    I have never had to deal with PICS as a dealer but never had a problem with NICS. All of my customers who were put into "research" were cleared by the end of the business day.
    Try being one of the people flagged by NICS. Challenges take upwards of 2 months.

PICS - often resolved in less then 3 weeks.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Try being one of the people flagged by NICS. Challenges take upwards of 2 months.

PICS - often resolved in less then 3 weeks.
    I guess that there is a benefit to being the only GBO in lower forty eight.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast