Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Armed Security in Church

Hello again everyone, it has been a long time since I have been here, so my apologies for not being around for awhile.

My question is about Church Security, and the legal way of having a security presence.

I did look around at past post, but I could not find what I was looking for so here is my question.

I am a State Constable here in PA and I am starting to see signs in talking with members of the church that they are starting to possibly want a presence of armed security in the church with everything that this world is coming to in recent years. While obviously it is fine to be armed and Conceal in your church (Mine is just a church, not a school) that doesn't mean that all these people are properly trained and should be doing so.

Are there state regulations in reference to officially recognized security that the church endorses, whether paid or voluntary, that mandate should have ACT 235 training or any other type of credentials or training?

I have a feeling that I will probably be approached sometime soon, and I want to have all of my ducks in a row when they do approach me.

Thanks for your help everyone.
    "Our government has no power except that granted it by the people."

President Ronald Reagan

Default Re: Armed Security in Church

(Chester County)

The Lethal Weapons Training Act (22 P. S. § § 41—50) only appears applicable to:

“Privately employed agents” include any person employed for the purpose of providing watch guard, protective patrol, detective or criminal investigative services either for another for a fee or for his employer. Privately employed agents do not include local, state or federal government employees or those police officers commissioned by the Governor under the act of February 27, 1865 (P.L. 225, No. 228).1 The term shall include a police officer of a municipal authority.
    I'm not aware of any statue or regulation that mandates any training for uncompensated, volunteer parishioners. If the church actually organizes/schedules a cadre of armed volunteers, as opposed to just announcing that they encourage or have no objections to lawfully carried firearms while on premises, then it may behoove the church to seek legal advice as to any potential civil liability they may incur.
    IANAL

(Jefferson County)

Legal way = have a church group shoot to make sure folks know how to use a gun. Then the security detail can come from the body of the parishioners if/when the time is needed. ...just like the militia from the body of the People.

Since no formal security force is needed with armed attendees, there are no legalities to contend with.

It really is that simple.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

My church has weekly armed security...me, and I'm sure a number of other members since we have a huge number of military vets in our congregation. Literally half of the attendees stand up when the pastor asks vets to stand so we can honor them on Veterans Day.

I've spotted a shoulder holster on a man sitting in front of me.

What might be better (legally) than establishing a formal or hired security staff may be to have a meeting for any members interested in security and safety to discuss and maybe establish a "what if" plan in case something does happen.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Tioga County)

MikeP

(York County)

as long as nobody gets a salary, no formal training is required.

as for act 235 being a qualifier of who should and shouldn't, well, in Pennsylvania, we do not require training for concealed carry, leaving that issue to the conscience of the carrier. perhaps you should respect their conscience, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by lancelinked View Post
    as long as nobody gets a salary, no formal training is required.
    Except monthly Saturday morning breakfast and range trips.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by bradjc72 View Post
    Hello again everyone, it has been a long time since I have been here, so my apologies for not being around for awhile.

While obviously it is fine to be armed and Conceal in your church (Mine is just a church, not a school) that doesn't mean that all these people are properly trained and should be doing so.
    No need to apologize for your absence.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    No need to apologize for your absence.
    I see what you did there...and I concur.
    Go sell crazy some where else, we're all stocked up here.

Political power grows from the muzzle of a gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast