Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Ruger GP100 MATCH CHAMPION redux

My recent purchases have been 'collector grade' pistols that command some significant price tags. HK P7's, German made PPK, Mauser Luger, etc. With all this 'fancy' stuff, I keep coming back to my current production Ruger GP100 MATCH CHAMPION .357 magnum. It's been my go-to carry pistol these days, 8 out of 10 times. Open carried in a leather pancake thumb break holster. Loaded with Underwood 125 gr. JHP .357 magnum rounds, which clock 1,600 ft/s from the 4 inch barrel.

It just balances EXTREMELY well. The slab-side barrel and half-lug really make this revolver balance and point perfectly. The stainless finish both looks good and is low-maintenance. With my NIB Luger and German Walther, I need to have an oiled cloth handy. Not so with the brushed stainless GP100. I also carry this gun knowing that the 125 gr. .357 magnum JHP is about as good as it gets in so far as handgun round ballistic potential. It's got a legendary reputation in LE during the 70's and 80's (the 'lightening bolt' effect). For example, the Indianapolis Police had their first 10 shooting with the Remington .357 JHP load, and had 10 instant one-shot-stops. The San Antonio PD dubbed it 'the magic bullet'.

It's a lightweight .357 magnum, weighing a mere 37.5 ounces. A S&W K-frame weighs about an ounce less, and a S&W L-frame weighs almost 3 ounces more. It's strong where it counts (the yoke tube is thick, so it will stave off endshake with a steady diet of magnums). And the green optic front sight really makes a huge difference in acquiring a fast sight picture for combat. The rear novak sight is really a nice addition.

I'm not a Ruger fan-boy or a brand fan-boy. This gun JUST WORKS. I've got some really nice high quality and expensive pistols. And if I were forced to choose just one handgun, this Ruger GP100 MATCH CHAMPION would be a real serious contender for that spot.

Ruger got this one right.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Ruger GP100 MATCH CHAMPION redux

I feel the same way about revolvers and particularly the 357s. for me it's a Smith & Wesson K frame model 19. I know it doesn't have the reputation of being a tank like the Ruger gp100 but I don't have any problems with it yet. I've never regretted buying it but when I did I passed up a 4-inch blued Colt Python in great condition that had a selling price of $999 with original wood grips and box.

(Allegheny County)

I started with revolvers, then got more into semi autos, but i just love my revolvers. I like my S&W Stainless J Frames 357 (2 1/8" and 3") for carry (not to shoot so much) and my GP100 357 3" isn't too bad to shoot as its heavy.
    Joy comes from shooting my S&W 686 4" 357 and S&W 617 6" 22lr and Ruger GP100 6" 357 oh and my S&W Jframe model 63 5" 22r! Did i say i like revolvers!! As an NRA instructor now, i am seriously eyeing that Ruger Match champion - I should have it by Xmas (-:

(Lancaster County)

I bumped into the GP 100 Wiley Clapp edition and found it much more appealing than I anticipated. That will most likely be my next wheel gun unless something good comes up in the classifieds again.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    I bumped into the GP 100 Wiley Clapp edition and found it much more appealing than I anticipated. That will most likely be my next wheel gun unless something good comes up in the classifieds again.
    I believe that I saw one in the classifieds this week.