Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Philly GPU STILL Asking for References - PhillyMag Posts Class Action Policy Change

I am mentioned twice in this article.

Here's the PhillyMag piece:
    http://www.phillymag.com/news/2015/0...-philadelphia/

No matter where you live in Pennsylvania, you'll need to apply for a license to carry a firearm. You apply in the county where you live. In Philadelphia, that's the Philadelphia Police Department's Gun Permits Unit on the second floor of 990 Spring Garden Street.

Although references are still requested on the application, that's only because the city's application is outdated. (Because of course it is.) As the result of a lawsuit, references are no longer required.

Read more at http://www.phillymag.com/news/2015/0...ihPODx3K3lt.99

Here's what the City said it was going to do as a result of the class action lawsuit:

http://www.phila.gov/InformationCent...xhibit%20E.pdf

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Philly GPU STILL Asking for References - PhillyMag Posts Class Action Policy Chan

Article had mistakes which have been corrected.

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Philly GPU STILL Asking for References - PhillyMag Posts Class Action Policy Chan

Although references are still requested on the application, that's only because the city's application is outdated
    Umm, no. The city is required by law to use the form promulgated by the Pennsylvania State Police. That form asks for references.

Until the PSP changes the form (or the legislature changes the law) Philly is supposed to be using a form asking for references, lawsuit settlement notwithstanding.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by twency View Post
    Umm, no. The city is required by law to use the form promulgated by the Pennsylvania State Police. That form asks for references.
    The forms asks but, I believe it says they are suggested not required. Philly requires them, just not the extra sheets they used to require the references to fill out.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by jlb0305 View Post
    The forms asks but, I believe it says they are suggested not required. Philly requires them, just not the extra sheets they used to require the references to fill out.
    As far as I know this is the most recent version from the PSP [SP 4-127 (10-2012)]: http://www.bedfordcountypa.org/uploa...y_Firearms.pdf

There's nothing to indicate the references fields are optional.

Regardless, my point stands. It's false to say "the city's application is outdated". It's not the city's form, and it's not outdated.
    Last edited by twency; September 22nd, 2015 at 04:02 PM.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.