Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default .38 vs .357 out of 2" barrel?

I keep finding conflicting information on this. What is the average ft/lbs difference between a .38 special (preferably +p) vs a .357 magnum from a 2" barrel? All the information I find the test gun used typically has a 4" barrel (and I know those extra 2" make a big difference). Is it worth it to buy a .357 magnum snubby when I all ready have a .38 special revolver? Is the additional weight of a .357 magnum revolver worth carrying when comparing the performance of .357 magnum over .38 special?

I have a .38 special revolver, but want something in a small size that packs a little more punch. I was debating on getting an XDS or .357 magnum 6-shot snub nose revolver.
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: .38 vs .357 out of 2" barrel?

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/357mag.html

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/38special.html

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/9luger.html

2" barrels

In terms of FPS:

814 fps was the best for 38, 1050 was the best for .357. 9mm achieved a max of 1215 fps.

In terms of Muzzle Energy:

.38, 175 ft/lbs.
    9mm, 325 ft/lbs.
    .357, 350 ft/lbs.

For what it's worth, I'd be looking at a slim 9mm like the Shield or the 43. Would be lighter than the .357 wheel gun, and hit almost as hard with the right loading. Coincidentally, I'm carrying my 43 right now.

(Delaware County)

I'm kind of in the same boat - tossing up between Glock 36, XDS 45, SP101, LCR 357. I think it'll come down to shot placement personally.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/ammo/38...allistics.html

When I got my first chronograph , about 20 plus years ago , I ran everything I owned and could get my hands on threw it.
    Snub wheelguns were and are a personal favorite.
    Without digging through all my records what I do remember was using the same brand/weight of bullet , the 357 would give some more FPS than 38's but not near enough to justify the extra flash/boom/bang that came with it.
    You'd find 38's in just about all my 357 mag snub guns.
    I even remember I found some non-plus p 38 loads that were faster than some plus p loads of the same weight.
    I even played with different powder seating methods of loaded rounds.
    Interesting thing to play with , the chronograph.

(Montgomery County)

Could also look into a Glock 33 for some heat?

(Delaware County)

"the 357 would give some more FPS than 38's but not near enough to justify the extra flash/boom/bang that came with it."

Interesting to note. Thanks Boondox.

The number game drove me crazy until I realized carry comfort and time behind the trigger is all that matters.

(Pike County)

For summer wear with shorts and aloose tee, Smith & Wesson Model 637 air weight 38+P
    For Formal wear/ fine dining or you just want to feel sexy carrying... I would go with a Para Ordinance P-13 with a nice comfy Don Hume holster...
    For a Field carry gun in bear infested woods...the Ruger Alaskan in 44 Mag...

Decisions... decisions...

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia patriot View Post
    I keep finding conflicting information on this. What is the average ft/lbs difference between a .38 special (preferably +p) vs a .357 magnum from a 2" barrel?
    .357 from a 2" barrel ranges from 858-1050 depending on ammo
    .38 special from a 2" barrel ranges from 675-824 depending on ammo

The average difference between the two being anywhere between 183-226 fps
    Vote Hillary for Prison 2016

Your recover time will be better with the .38. You need to ask yourself "how many times do I need to shoot".
    20 years USN - OSC

(Centre County)

So with over seven years of carrying concealed I'll add my 2 cents. I have pocket carried the following (kahr pm9, ruger lcp, glock 42 and 47, and 4 different types of j frames, all steel, aluminum frame, scandium frame, exposed hammer, shrouded hammer and internal hammer)

My current pocket carry is a s&w m&p 340 ( basically a five 357 mag that's as light or lighter than a pocket 9mm, and comes from the factory with a xs night sight). Every revolver with an external hammer would snag on the pocket so a internal hammer or shrouded hammer was the way to go. I carried an all steel j frame for a few years and the weight didn't bother me most of the time but if I had dress pants on or pants with thin material it would. Where as I can carry the light weight j frames comfortably in all my pants.

I carried pocket autos for the first 2-3 years and while they were ok I don't see myself ever going back, the autos even though they were some times smaller actually felt larger, I think it's due to their profile of having a lot of hard angles and being flat where no ones leg is flat. They also would never come out of a pocket as well as a j frame and I could never seem to get a good grip on them until I got them out of the pocket where's the j frame is never an issue.

Another factory I considered was reliability. Small autos can be picky when they come to ammo vs a revolver although some brands are particularly good like glock. Also a auto will always be higher matinance, you'll have to change out recoil springs, magazines, magazine springs, etc. I also factored in magazine costs, I want at minimum 10 magazines for each auto I own, between possible mag bans, and magazines getting damaged etc. where as I only feel the need to own 4-5 speed loaders and I have never seen one ware out yet.

As far as the ballistics of the different rounds I appreciate the numbers a previous gentleman gave you in regards to ft lbs of each load. What I can say is that I have had to kill and put down more animals than I care to count I have come to the following conclusions with the various calibers 380acp is about worthless on anything larger than a house cat regardless of ammo type. 9mm is definitely better than the 380 but is very ammo specific, FMjs are about useless where as a heavy p+ hollow is decent. 38 special is also load dependent but seems to always have better results than a 9mm even though it looks like the under dog on paper, the only thing I can figure is that most loads are heavier than 9mm loads and it's getting better penetration, also I think since the 9mm bullet has a more pointed profile I don't think it expands as fast. the 38 seems better than a 9mm. As far as the rest of the calibers, 357, 40, 45, etc, they seem to work awesome if you're using target ammo or carry ammo, ground hogs, raccoons, etc act like they have been hit with a bolt of lighting. With all the being said I carry 38+p in my revolver because the flash and sound is a lot less, it's more controllable and 38s will always eject easier since the case is shorter.

Also worth mentioning I currently have 2 h&ks and 2 glocks, with two being in 40 and the other two being in 45, with atleast 10 mags and 1 holster for each each gun i don't want to add another auto to my collection regardless or caliber or size. Where as I will always have a couple large frame 357 mags for home defense and to carry while I hunt or hike so by having j frames I am not adding another caliber to stock. Where as if some one already owns a full size 9mm maybe a pocket 9 makes more sense to them.

With all that being said gun stores wouldn't be carrying small autos and gun manufactures wouldn't be making new models if they weren't selling, but I don't see myself selling any of my 4 j frames for any small auto anytime soon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast