Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pennsylvania: Ivory Ban Proposal Targets Gun Owners and Sportsmen in the Keystone

Here we go again! Kooky Democrat's going after guns but using a ban on Ivory?

Pennsylvania: Ivory Ban Proposal Targets Gun Owners and Sportsmen in the Keystone State

Sponsors: Representatives Vereb (R-HD 150) and Dean (D-HD 153)

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2015...keystone-state

Last week, a memo was sent to all members of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives from state Representatives Vereb (R-HD 150) and Dean (D-HD 153) asking for co-sponsorship on legislation that would prohibit the trade of legal ivory and ivory products in the state of Pennsylvania. If successful, this proposal would prohibit the sale, importation, purchase, barter or possession with intent to sell legal, antique ivory and ivory products in the Commonwealth; thus, making any lawfully-owned product that contains ivory worthless.

The primary advocate of this legislation, the Humane Society of the United States, would have you believe that this is a sound approach for stopping ivory poaching and trafficking. However, this is a misguided proposal that targets firearms collectors, sportsmen and other antique ivory owners of Pennsylvania. This proposed ivory ban would create strict and unnecessary restrictions that wouldn’t prevent the poaching of elephants but only hurt law-abiding Pennsylvanians who have legally acquired the product.

For example, it would become illegal for small antique business owners and antique gun collectors to buy and sell many antique products containing legal ivory. The exceptions for buying and selling antique products containing ivory, such as musical instruments, jewelry, furniture pieces, guns and other valuable collectibles are limited.

Under this legislation, purchasing and selling ivory or ivory products would become a misdemeanor of the second degree and would set unreasonable fines of $1,000 or more. Law abiding citizens who have no part in elephant and rhinoceros poaching would potentially become criminals overnight by unknowingly selling products containing ivory.

American collectors, hunters, and recreational shooters have legally purchased firearms that have incorporated ivory features for decades. These include some of America’s most historically-significant and collectible guns. Historically, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has taken the position that nearly all ivory in the U.S. has been legally imported and that its sale in the United States did not contribute to the illegal ivory trade.

Please contact your state Representative and urge him or her to decline co-sponsorship of this misguided legislation.
    In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Pennsylvania: Ivory Ban Proposal Targets Gun Owners and Sportsmen in the Keystone

What benefit, exactly, is derived from banning the trade of LEGAL ivory? It's not like the elephant is going to suddenly get less dead.

Although, if you did suddenly have a bunch of undead elephants running around, I'd say you have bigger concerns that need addressing.

Default Re: Pennsylvania: Ivory Ban Proposal Targets Gun Owners and Sportsmen in the Keystone

Something you could send to your state Rep.
    From The NRA

"As your constituent, I urge you to oppose legislation that would ban trade in legally-owned ivory, including the bill currently in circulation for co-sponsorship by Representatives Vereb and Dean.

Ivory ban legislation targets any lawful item containing ivory, rendering them valueless, as it would become a crime for you to sell it or for another person to buy it.

Again, as your constituent, I urge you to oppose this measure and any future measures that would unfairly burden Pennsylvanians who purchased ivory in accordance with the law at the time."
    In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell

(Chester County)

As someone who plays the bagpipes, I've always been concerned about this.

I used to pull them out and just play in an airport lobby if my flight got delayed a few hours, and NOTHING HAPPENED!

I have several sets of bagpipes all with ivory features. As far as I know, one of them was made in 1910 or 1911 and is one of perhaps three that are left (you think certain models of guns are rare?). Sadly, most of them were destroyed during WWI when the pipers led the infantry into those German Maxim machineguns.

I was invited to pipe for a wedding in CA. around four years ago and was worried about having my pipes manhandled/inspected/disassembled/confiscated - which would be embarrassing for me and a tragedy for the wedding. A few months before the wedding, I sent letters to the heads of every organization I knew at the time that were involved with going through the X-ray machine. Never received a response back.

Magically, when my pipes went through the X-Ray machine, there was a loud beeping (the silver probably gave it away) , so I opened the pipe case. The guy there looked at them for a nano-second, and then waved me through.

'Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord, thank you Jesus..'.

Someone must have gotten the memo....

For if you've ever played the pipes they take some time to tune. And if someone started pulling the reeds out of the drones, it would be a catastrophe.

On that particular day, they did a fabulous job.

Just saying....
    - bamboomaster

(Elk County)

It doesn't affect me; I use Dial.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    It doesn't affect me; I use Dial.

Noah
    I'm zest fully clean over here i have no ivory in my possession.
    People always ask me why i never smile.
    I TELL THEM IT'S BECAUSE MY CORPSE IS STILL BREATHING AND THEY DON'T FUCKING GET IT!

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by bamboomaster View Post
    As someone who plays the bagpipes, I've always been concerned about this.

I used to pull them out and just play in an airport lobby if my flight got delayed a few hours, and NOTHING HAPPENED!

I have several sets of bagpipes all with ivory features. As far as I know, one of them was made in 1910 or 1911 and is one of perhaps three that are left (you think certain models of guns are rare?). Sadly, most of them were destroyed during WWI when the pipers led the infantry into those German Maxim machineguns.

I was invited to pipe for a wedding in CA. around four years ago and was worried about having my pipes manhandled/inspected/disassembled/confiscated - which would be embarrassing for me and a tragedy for the wedding. A few months before the wedding, I sent letters to the heads of every organization I knew at the time that were involved with going through the X-ray machine. Never received a response back.

Magically, when my pipes went through the X-Ray machine, there was a loud beeping (the silver probably gave it away) , so I opened the pipe case. The guy there looked at them for a nano-second, and then waved me through.

'Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord, thank you Jesus..'.

Someone must have gotten the memo....

For if you've ever played the pipes they take some time to tune. And if someone started pulling the reeds out of the drones, it would be a catastrophe.

On that particular day, they did a fabulous job.

Just saying....
    Nobody recognizes the ivory fittings on your pipes as ivory.

Try figurines, and see what happens. No, don't.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by bamboomaster View Post
    ... I was invited to pipe for a wedding in CA. around four years ago and was worried about having my pipes manhandled/inspected/disassembled/confiscated - which would be embarrassing for me and a tragedy for the wedding. A few months before the wedding, I sent letters to the heads of every organization I knew at the time that were involved with going through the X-ray machine. Never received a response back....
    Silly man, expecting a government official to do thier job and help a meer minion!

I'm glad you made it out and back safely. I use to have a neighbor that played and taught the pipes and I miss hearing the backyard practice sessions!
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

Real men use Irish Spring.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

no. we use fells naptha soap or hand made lye soap. the rest of you girls can be smelt for miles with your perfumes and moisturizers. Nothing says manly that a good caustic lye facial scrub.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast