Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Cool NEW UP-DATE-----SQUIB ROUND WARNING ! PICTURES

Wife was on the range today and on her 2nd round heard and felt an odd recoil ! She stopped shooting and I looked at the Taurus 38spl Ulte-Lite and halfway down the barrel was the Squib round ! We were shooting Remington HTP 110 grain SJHP ! At home I was able to extract and inspect the barrel and revolver function.The gun suffered no damage But my wife was really afraid to shoot her gun now ! I called Remington and explained all the info and they will be getting me a shipping label to send in all three boxes of this ammo.We shot maybe a total of 5 rounds and do not care to try anymore of their Remington Ammo.So the warning goes If It feels like,Sounds Like, something not right Stop Shooting,Thankfully my wife is an experienced shooter and this is our first Squib ever.Remingtons Factory Ammo has put a real bad taste in my mouth ! Check out the Pictures ! MDT Spoke with Remington today,They informed me that the Mfg Date of this ammo was 2011 ! It was on the shelf of the LGS that I got all three boxes from and their testing determined that quite a few of the rounds displayed under power another words SQUIB LOADS ! I came to an aggreement for damages which were non disclosure. All in all Remington gave an honest evaluation and we aggreed to a settlement of non disclosure ! Happy that my wife displayed alertness and experience with her first and hopefully last squib load ! TY for all the well wishes and comments she really as do I appreciated them ! MDT & Wife
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MARINE DIVISION TWO; October 28th, 2015 at 06:46 PM.

Default Re: SQUIB ROUND WARNING ! PICTURES

glad she is okay
    Montani Semper Liberi

(Franklin County)

I heard lately that Remington was suck with their guns...is it now including their ammo?
    USMC 2/10 1982-85
    ~REMEMBER FT. HOOD~

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    Wife was on the range today and on her 2nd round heard and felt an odd recoil ! She stopped shooting and I looked at the Taurus 38spl Ulte-Lite and halfway down the barrel was the Squib round ! We were shooting Remington HTP 110 grain SJHP ! At home I was able to extract and inspect the barrel and revolver function.The gun suffered no damage But my wife was really afraid to shoot her gun now ! I called Remington and explained all the info and they will be getting me a shipping label to send in all three boxes of this ammo.We shot maybe a total of 5 rounds and do not care to try anymore of their Remington Ammo.So the warning goes If It feels like,Sounds Like, something not right Stop Shooting,Thankfully my wife is an experienced shooter and this is our first Squib ever.Remingtons Factory Ammo has put a real bad taste in my mouth ! Check out the Pictures ! MDT
    Really glad you were there and that your wife stopped shooting because of the odd recoil. Thankfully, everyone is OK, and Remington should encourage your wife to get over the trauma by sending to you five thousand rounds of their best match-grade ammo.

You discovered an issue they had in that lot when the fella who was running the reloading machine may have pulled out his phone and sent a text, took a call, or just surfed on the Internet.

Or maybe did none of the above and the powder bar didn't function properly, the machine crapped out, and that was that.

Apparently you may not be a reloader (consider a career/hobby change!), for I would have numbered them and then pulled the rest of the rounds in the box and weighed and measured each. And taken pictures! Thankfully, you took a picture of the box-end which showed the lot number.

About the only Remington things I own were made around the 1942 - 1945, and they seem to work just fine.

Again, we're all very thankful that the shooting stopped immediately and that you discovered the issue.

Don't ever stop being vigilant, especially at the range!

Best regards,
    - bamboomaster

(Lackawanna County)

A squib is something all shooters should experience in my opinion. Better to know what it's like then do something stupid and blow up a gun and your hand over it. If you know what it is it's very easy to avoid and very easy to handle.glad yours turned out positively

(Bucks County)

I had a Remington 180 Grain 30-40 krag round squib in my Winchester 1895. I could feel my heart in my throat. All was fine, but that was a scary moment.
    Glad your wife and you were vigilant and are OK.

(Berks County)

I don't shoot that caliber anymore but good job by your wife and thanks for the heads-up.

I often think of this problem when I rapid fire, but sometimes do it anyway.

(Clarion County)

Kudos to your wife for being aware. See many who are experienced at pulling the trigger but have no awareness of their firearms function.
    Something definitely happened to Remington since Cerberus took over.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Bucks County)

The last 3 years I've introduced a dozen or so new shooters to the sport. Part of my required pre-range "course" emphasizes what to do after "Click and No (real) Bang" for each firearm of interest at that session.

Along with that, counting ammo in and bangs out automatically is (IMO) an important reflex activity worth developing. It's good to know how many shots are left or that your firearm is out of ammo without it having to tell you. It keeps the shooter's attention on the firearm's function as well as down range, and it's another safety redundancy.

I don't think this aspect of shooting gets enough emphasis.

(Wayne County)

Glad Mama Marine is OK, Remington is really starting to suck a big one. Trigger recalls, junk ammo, etc, etc.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast