Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: CUIL.COM

(Lehigh County)

Default CUIL.COM

Here's the latest and possibly greatest internet search engine that may replace Google: http://www.cuil.com/. It came on line Mon, 7-28-08.

Response #1. They seem to need more practice only completed 50 percent of my searches

Response #2. Here is Cuil's ad about their new company. Most of the founding staff are ex-Google engineers and web data architects and they managed to find multi-millions for their start-up costs, so your experience might just be a startup glitch.

Welcome to Cuil-the world's biggest search engine. The Internet has grown. We think it's time search did too.

The Internet has grown exponentially in the last fifteen years but search engines have not kept up-until now. Cuil searches more pages on the Web than anyone else-three times as many as Google and ten times as many as Microsoft.

Rather than rely on superficial popularity metrics, Cuil searches for and ranks pages based on their content and relevance. When we find a page with your keywords, we stay on that page and analyze the rest of its content, its concepts, their inter-relationships and the page's coherency.

Then we offer you helpful choices and suggestions until you find the page you want and that you know is out there. We believe that analyzing the Web rather than our users is a more useful approach, so we don't collect data about you and your habits, lest we are tempted to peek. With Cuil, your search history is always private.

Cuil is an old Irish word for knowledge. For knowledge, ask Cuil.
    Veritas Vos Liberat

(Northumberland County)

Default Re: CUIL.COM

I tried it the day it came online... not impressed. a TON of repeat results...
    "The rifle is the weapon of democracy. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military. The hired servants of our rulers. Only the government-and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws." (Edward Abbey, "The Right to Arms," Abbey's Road [New York, 1979])
    I have my rifle. Do you?

(Allegheny County)

Needs refined. I played with it yesterday and wasn't happy with the results.

(Chester County)

Tried it the other day.. didn't find things that it should have. Needs more data...

(Philadelphia County)

Cuil is crap. Even the name is stoopid.

Long Live The Google.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791