Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Buying a handgun

Ok so i know it's illegal to buy a handgun under 21 years of age but i know it isn't illegal to own a handgun before your 21 and over 18. SO, what i if i just asked my brother to buy me a handgun and he just give it to me or "sell" it to me? Is that illegal or do i have to do some sort of registration for that too? Sorry if this goes on another page. Thanks for you help.

(Venango County)

Default Re: Buying a handgun

technically.....if the intent is to buy it for you, it is an illegal Straw Purchase.....

I know the law sucks, but it's only a couple of years, then you can get your LTCF as well

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Chester County)

It would be an illegal straw purchase.

(c) Duty of other persons.-Any person who is not a licensed importer, manufacturer or dealer and who desires to sell or transfer a firearm to another unlicensed person shall do so only upon the place of business of a licensed importer, manufacturer, dealer or county sheriff's office, the latter of whom shall follow the procedure set forth in this section as if he were the seller of the firearm. The provisions of this section shall not apply to transfers between spouses or to transfers between a parent and child or to transfers between grandparent and grandchild.
    There is no exemption for transfers between siblings.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Beaver County)

Get Dad to buy it.

It's a dumb "thoughtcrime" law, with no practical way to enforce it.
    Last edited by kevindsingleton; July 30th, 2008 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Mebbe I'm wrong
    Kevin Singleton, Potawatomi - {ZRT - Sector 4}

(Jefferson County)

If the intent is there to buy the firearm for someone else, at the other person's request, its a Straw Purchase.

Even if the older brother has an existing pistol that he wanted to sell, trade, or give/gift to the <21yo brother - it would still have to be transfered at a county Sheriff. ...which, finding one that will still do transfers, let alone >18 to <21 transfers, is hard to find these days.

I recommend having a parent or grandparent give/sell a pistol they already own to the you. No paperwork would be necessary(a receipt is suggested).
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Carbon County)

you could allways look into a black powder revolver! you can own them under 21!

(Blair County)

I attended a PSP/ATF seminar where I was told that a purchaser IS ALLOWED to buy a firearm as a gift for someone else. The ATF speaker tried to talk us out of doing it, but said it was OK. He said a straw purchase is when the purchaser is trying to hide the identity of the purchaser. I have had quite a few fathers and one mother come in and buy a firearm as a gift for a child, and in one case a handgun.
    Steve

(Butler County)

My son just turned 18 and I bought him a pistol for his birthday. In my case I'll have to hang onto it for awhile since he still lives in the PRNJ but I confirmed what others have said. Legally parent to child transfer / gift within PA there is no need for paperwork.