Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default General Pennsylvania gun laws

Hi everyone, my name is Kyle I recently moved to Havertown Pa in Delaware county from the LBI area of New Jersey. This is my first post so my apologies in advance if this is the wrong place for this thread. I just have some general law questions pertaining to fire arms and air rifles/bb guns. I never have owned a gun in NJ. Being that I now live in PA and the gun laws are more accurate to the constitution here and was recently gifted a shotgun I would really like to get out there and just enjoy some quality time with my Dad. My questions are: where can and can't I go to shoot a shotgun/air rifle that I don't have to be a member and pay membership fees (money is tight). I have to get surgery on my wrist before the end of the month so I'd love to get some shooting in before since I'll be out of commission for a couple months. Any information, links to similar thread topics would be very much appreciated! Thanks for taking the time to read this book I just wrote and enjoy your weekend everyone!

(Bucks County)

Default Re: General Pennsylvania gun laws

Welcome to America.

There are pay by the hour or day ranges around. TargetMaster is not too far from you. There are probably others. Someone who lives in that area can probably help more, or Google it. There are also state game land ranges but, you have to have either a current PA hunting license or a range pass to use them. Also many ranges don't allow shot against backstops. There are ranges that have skeet, like Wicens in Jamison, Bucks County.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by kyle marsh1987 View Post
    Hi everyone, my name is Kyle I recently moved to Havertown Pa in Delaware county from the LBI area of New Jersey. This is my first post so my apologies in advance if this is the wrong place for this thread. I just have some general law questions pertaining to fire arms and air rifles/bb guns. I never have owned a gun in NJ. Being that I now live in PA and the gun laws are more accurate to the constitution here and was recently gifted a shotgun I would really like to get out there and just enjoy some quality time with my Dad. My questions are: where can and can't I go to shoot a shotgun/air rifle that I don't have to be a member and pay membership fees (money is tight). I have to get surgery on my wrist before the end of the month so I'd love to get some shooting in before since I'll be out of commission for a couple months. Any information, links to similar thread topics would be very much appreciated! Thanks for taking the time to read this book I just wrote and enjoy your weekend everyone!
    Double Action in Yaden. 15 per person for a range visit. They say an hour but who keeps time? Go down and enjoy yourself.
    SEMPER GUMBY

Double Action in Yeadon/Lansdowne is your closest range. If I recall correctly they don't allow intermediate or rifle cartridges, I'm not sure about shotguns. To get there from Havertown you'd go through Upper Darby on either Lansdowne Ave or Long Lane, parking is behind the building.

Outside of a proper LGS you can buy ammo at the Springfield Walmart. They have exactly one ammo cabinet and no firearms, and almost never have any .22 or 380 at all. You'll always find 12/16/20 gauge, 308, 762 Soviet, .30-06, 40 SW, .45, 9mm Luger, 223, and 556 though. I wouldn't support regular ammo purchases there, but when you need ammo you need ammo.

SGL 43 is the closest public range about an hour away. You apply for the $30 range permit and then print out the wallet-sized card and carry that with you. I myself protect it with packing tape and then cut out the extra, but it's not really necessary. You should note though that there are some rather draconian range rules that you'll want to memorize there, the most important of which is no more than 3 rounds in a magazine, 6 for pistols.

To apply for an LTCF you will want to fill out the form onthis page. Just the state/foreign country is fine for "Place of Birth" ("NJ" for example), do not enter your SSN it won't speed up the process. Under #28 check at least "SELF-DEFENSE", if you don't they will ask you to check it saying "it's all-inclusive". Enter valid references, but they probably won't be called as no one's sure if they legally can be. Answer the Yes/No questions honestly, and then you're pretty much set. Don't forget to enter "Delaware" at the top for county, then date and sign once you're actually there. You'll get your LTCF approval in the mail in a couple weeks, then you go in and pick it up.

You should also know that it's easy to miss Pennsylvania gun laws coming from one of the Peoples Republics. PA may be better but there are still several unnecessarily complex laws and restrictions. The biggest one is when in a vehicle do not have a loaded magazine in a long gun or in the same container as a long gun. There are many more, but this one is first.

Welcome to Free America.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by greenjohn88 View Post
    Double Action in Yeadon/Lansdowne is your closest range. If I recall correctly they don't allow intermediate or rifle cartridges, I'm not sure about shotguns. To get there from Havertown you'd go through Upper Darby on either Lansdowne Ave or Long Lane, parking is behind the building.

Outside of a proper LGS you can buy ammo at the Springfield Walmart. They have exactly one ammo cabinet and no firearms, and almost never have any .22 or 380 at all. You'll always find 12/16/20 gauge, 308, 762 Soviet, .30-06, 40 SW, .45, 9mm Luger, 223, and 556 though. I wouldn't support regular ammo purchases there, but when you need ammo you need ammo.

SGL 43 is the closest public range about an hour away. You apply for the $30 range permit and then print out the wallet-sized card and carry that with you. I myself protect it with packing tape and then cut out the extra, but it's not really necessary. You should note though that there are some rather draconian range rules that you'll want to memorize there, the most important of which is no more than 3 rounds in a magazine, 6 for pistols.

To apply for an LTCF you will want to fill out the form onthis page. Just the state/foreign country is fine for "Place of Birth" ("NJ" for example), do not enter your SSN it won't speed up the process. Under #28 check at least "SELF-DEFENSE", if you don't they will ask you to check it saying "it's all-inclusive". Enter valid references, but they probably won't be called as no one's sure if they legally can be. Answer the Yes/No questions honestly, and then you're pretty much set. Don't forget to enter "Delaware" at the top for county, then date and sign once you're actually there. You'll get your LTCF approval in the mail in a couple weeks, then you go in and pick it up.

You should also know that it's easy to miss Pennsylvania gun laws coming from one of the Peoples Republics. PA may be better but there are still several unnecessarily complex laws and restrictions. The biggest one is when in a vehicle do not have a loaded magazine in a long gun or in the same container as a long gun. There are many more, but this one is first.

Welcome to Free America.
    The six in a handgun only applies to handgun designated ranges. At ranges without handgun designated lanes, you are only allowed three in a handgun, if I remember correctly.

(Chester County)

For playing with a shotgun, I suggest Sunday trap shooting at one of the local clubs. At Southern Chester County, trap shooting is open to the public every Sunday at noon. It is $4/round (a round is 25 pigeons), bring your own ammo. I think the West Chester club does something similar, and IIRC the Delaware County Field and Stream club does something like that too. It is a good way to learn about shooting a shotgun. I don't know about the others, but Southern Chester County is friendly to beginners. Tell the rangemaster you are new. If you read the signs and watch a few rounds, you will figure it out. It doesn't cost anything to just show up and watch and ask questions. Don't worry if you suck at it - you will have just as much fun as everyone else. It is pretty laid back, but safety rules are strictly adhered to.

I don't know the laws and local rules for air rifles in PA, but it's not like NJ. You can walk into Walmart today and buy all the air guns you want with nothing but money. I shoot mine wherever I feel that it's safe and won't scare people.
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gripsafety View Post
    For playing with a shotgun, I suggest Sunday trap shooting at one of the local clubs. At Southern Chester County, trap shooting is open to the public every Sunday at noon. It is $4/round (a round is 25 pigeons), bring your own ammo. I think the West Chester club does something similar, and IIRC the Delaware County Field and Stream club does something like that too. It is a good way to learn about shooting a shotgun. I don't know about the others, but Southern Chester County is friendly to beginners. Tell the rangemaster you are new. If you read the signs and watch a few rounds, you will figure it out. It doesn't cost anything to just show up and watch and ask questions. Don't worry if you suck at it - you will have just as much fun as everyone else. It is pretty laid back, but safety rules are strictly adhered to.

I don't know the laws and local rules for air rifles in PA, but it's not like NJ. You can walk into Walmart today and buy all the air guns you want with nothing but money. I shoot mine wherever I feel that it's safe and won't scare people.
    Agreed that trap would be your best option and a blast!

No loaded long guns in a vehicle. No round the chamber(s) or magazine tube.

(Montgomery County)

Lower Providence has Friday night Trap shooting open to the public. Just another option.
    I'd say trap or skeet is the best thing for you at this point. A shotgun at a per hour range is not going to be very fun. I think pellets are not allowed and you can't shoot slugs for a full hour without a sore shoulder (not a good intro to the sport).

Find a public trap shoot that is convenient to you. Tell the cashier that you are new to the sport. Any range I have been to has someone that will come out and walk you through the rules and help you get started safely.

Speaking of safety, you need a few items before heading out.
    A gun case. Most places do not want you carrying your gun around the parking lot. Plus you don't want it rattling around the trunk unprotected. You do not need a fancy hard case, cloth will do for range runs. Measure the gun end to end and head to Walmart. Do not ever put ammo in the same compartment as the gun.

Eye protection. At a range, dirt gets kicked around. Empty shells fly around. You do not want anything hitting your eyes. Walmart can sell you basic starter glasses.

Ear protection. Do not skimp on this. The foam rubber ear inserts never work for me. I used earmuffs until eventually I had my own custom silicone ones made for me. Walmart again.

Have fun, be safe.