Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default I'm a newb, have questions

I got my license to carry in the mail the other day (only took a week and a half after I dropped off the app).

I'm a skinny dude (145 lbs, 5'10") and wear clothes that actually fit me (not into the baggy clothes fad). My question is where do I carry a gun where it won't be completely obvious to the whole world? I'm especially curious as to where I'd put it in the summer, when I wear a t-shirt and shorts.

I guess it'd be easy to figure out if I had one of those "noisy cricket" type tiny weapons, but I'll probably carry my S&W 9mm. I don't even like to carry too much crap in my pockets, so I think I'm going to have a hard time figuring out where to put it.

I know these are goofy questions, but I'm new to all of this.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: I'm a newb, have questions

You'll have a hard time concealing any gun IWB if your clothes "cling" to you. I know alot of people (including me) have had to move up one size in shirts to conceal our stuff. Sacrifices must be made.

(Allegheny County)

I'm in the same boat as you.
    I figure I have two choices...

a. change the way I dress.

b. carry smaller pistol.

I actually did a little of both.

In cooler weather I wear a t-shirt (tucked in) with a button up shirt/jacket over it (un-tucked) to cover carry firearm. I have several "weights" of outer shirts now for different weather. (carry my Colt .380 very easily this way)

In summer, I must carry my Kel-tec in an inside the waistband holster with t-shirt untucked to cover it. It's so light, I can wear shorts and carry.

I never came up with a way to carry my Glock well without wearing a heavy coat and since I'm always hot, if I'm going somewhere indoors, I have to take off the coat defeating the "concealment" part of the carrying thing.

It's a trial and error thing and like choosing a handgun there are some compromises that have to be made.
    This is a good place to ask as there are many options/opinions out there. Hopefully you find something that works well for you.

Good luck!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kypt View Post
    I got my license to carry in the mail the other day (only took a week and a half after I dropped off the app).

I'm a skinny dude (145 lbs, 5'10") and wear clothes that actually fit me (not into the baggy clothes fad). My question is where do I carry a gun where it won't be completely obvious to the whole world? I'm especially curious as to where I'd put it in the summer, when I wear a t-shirt and shorts.

I guess it'd be easy to figure out if I had one of those "noisy cricket" type tiny weapons, but I'll probably carry my S&W 9mm. I don't even like to carry too much crap in my pockets, so I think I'm going to have a hard time figuring out where to put it.

I'm about 5'10 and 132.

Guys with our build are going to have to (like jmateer mentioned) change the way we dress. You don't need to go and get all "hoodie" -- but wearing this:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...G&frombrowse=1

sort of clothing will actually conceal most any reasonably sized handgun as long as you have a decent holster. I have no problem concealing a full size 1911 inside the waistband (not that I carry a 1911, I'm just making a point). Outside the waistband, I can carry a 3" L Frame revolver and nobody is the wiser. Just stop wearing t-shirts and start wearing button front shirts

You may want to look into carrying in a shoulder holster. I do, on occasion.
    Last edited by Rule10b5; February 9th, 2007 at 01:00 PM.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Chester County)

Thanks for the suggestions.

I was sitting here thinking about it, and I think the only place I could put something with the way I currently dress is on my lower back, like where the ladies get their "tramp stamp" tats. I guess the only problem with that is it would get in the way when I sit down, especially in my car with sport seats.

Would it be incorrect to assume there are holsters designed to use in that area?

Wink Re: I'm a newb, have questions

Thanks for the suggestions.

I was sitting here thinking about it, and I think the only place I could put something with the way I currently dress is on my lower back, like where the ladies get their "tramp stamp" tats. I guess the only problem with that is it would get in the way when I sit down, especially in my car with sport seats.

Would it be incorrect to assume there are holsters designed to use in that area?
    Kypt:
    The Galco SOB worn off center to the strong side and an oversize Hawiian Shirt are a beautifull combination. You could spend the entire day at a Fourth of July barbecue and no one would be the wiser

(Lehigh County)

I've had trouble carrying myself. I've had the license for maybe 6 years or so, but the only way I've been able to carry without a lot of trouble is by keep it inside my pocket.

I have a small 22 beretta (which jams all the time) and a North American 380 (which is a little bulkier but packs a decent punch and has never jammed) and found that throwing one of them in the pocket is easier then getting all strapped up.

Like they say, a 22 (or 380 in my case) in the pocket is better than a 45 at home.

I just can't find any holsters that fit and adequately conceal any of my larger weapons. If you wear the gun in your back belt, you gotta move it when you sit down. If you wear a shoulder holster, you have to wear a loose shirt or you can see it pretty easily. On the side is too easy to spot. Its pretty tough, unless you wear baggy clothes or a coat.

BC

(Chester County)

Yea, this is going to be difficult.

Maybe I'll just buy a big Abe Lincoln hat and put it under there.

Now, I think I'm going to sell my 9mm, and get something more powerful and as compact as can possibly be.

Keep your eyes on the for sale section if you want a cheap 9mm.

(Berks County)

Nothing wrong with asking questions; for people new to carrying, they're perfectly reasonable. And BTW, congratulations on getting your LTC!

It's a matter of personal preference, but IMHO if you're going to carry IWB (in waistband), carry just behind the hip. It's more comfortable than small-of-back carry, and your weapon will be more easily accessible.

For cooler months where you can wear sweatshirts, fleece, sweaters, etc. concealing a medium sized pistol IWB isn't that hard. I carry a S&W M&P9 in an IWB no problem. In addition, if you buy a "tuckable" IWB holster, you can carry the weapon underneath a button-down shirt tucked into your pants. Just blouse the shirt a little bit, and the fold in the shirt will hide just about anything.

However, in the warmer months when you're wearing lighter weight clothes, like t-shirts and the like, and not tucking them in, it will be harder to carry IWB. Even though these lightweight shirts will conceal just fine, when you flex and stretch your waist/back/etc there's a greater chance that your weapon will print (show the weapon's outline) through the shirt. In fact, printing can be so pronounced that many choose to carry a smaller "pocket gun" in the summer to avoid any hassle.

The issue of summer carry is definitely a difficult one, and one that's been discussed on the site before. There's no real concrete answer other than for you to try a bunch of carry methods and see what works best for you.

And don't hesitate to continue asking for opinions and advice; that's why we're here!
    Last edited by ChamberedRound; February 19th, 2007 at 03:21 PM.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Bucks County)

Now, I think I'm going to sell my 9mm, and get something more powerful and as compact as can possibly be.
    I wouldn't worry about "more powerful" if "more compact" is a criterion.

As others have said -- make some minor clothing concessions, and you'll be surprised at what you can conceal.

What S&W 9mm do you have? I ask because there's a BIG difference, concealment-wise, between double stack and single stack guns. A S&W 3913, e.g., carried IWB at 4:00 - 5:00 position is very concealable, by almost any build. Ditto a Kahr, or other single stack 9's. Single stack .45s are slim too, but not nearly as much.

I strongly urge you to start out with belt carry, because the gun is accessible and it melds with training classes easily. Only if you try IWB with a single stack 9 and it still doesn't work -- then maybe think about sub-caliber pocket carry. But my advice is to really try to make a real gun carried in an accessible way work first.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast