Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default New to forum with a LTC question

Hello all. I am new to this site, and have been browsing for a few days...great forum with a ton of good info.

I decided to register and ask a queston about getting a carry permit.

I live in Montgomery county, and have to have a local PD background check.

When I moved down here 2 years ago I went and had that done, but never followed through and took it to the courthouse to get my permit issued.

My question is, if I actually want to get my CCW permit now, will that card still be valid, or will I have to go to the local PD again?

Thanks,
    Brad

(Perry County)

Default Re: New to forum with a LTC question

Hi Brad and welcome to the forum. Iwould highly doubt it would still be good from 2 years ago. For all they know, you could have become an axe murderer between then and now. You could call and ask, but my money is on them saying you need a new check done.

Dave G.

(Philadelphia County)

There is a time limit on those cards that is definitely less than 2 years. If I recall it is either 30 or 90 days.

You'll have to go through the whole process again unfortunately.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Bucks County)

I guess I'm confused why you need a background check from you local PD for a LCTF. Isn't the sheriff's office supposed to handle that, or do I understand the law wrong. I know in Bucks county, the PICS check is used.

(Perry County)

I was wondering the same thing. Here in Cumberland County, we don't have to provide the Sheriff's office with a background check...they do it.

Dave G.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mattschultheis View Post
    I guess I'm confused why you need a background check from you local PD for a LCTF. Isn't the sheriff's office supposed to handle that, or do I understand the law wrong. I know in Bucks county, the PICS check is used.
    Of course it could be a case of things having changed since he was interested the last time and it is no longer necessary in MontCo. It has been two years after all. Of course being a Berks county resident I don't really know. Local wasn't involved when I got mine when I lived in MontCo.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Berks County)

I'm confused by this entire issue. I thought that the UFA only allowed a Sheriff's office to conduct a PICS/NICS check on an application, which only takes a few minutes each. Is this what we're talking about here?

Outside of the PICS/NICS, it was my understanding that neither the Sheriff's Office nor the municipal PDs have the right to perform a background check on an individual who's applying for an LTC.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Luzerne County)

The background would be done by the sheriffs dept, as the local pd has nothing to do with the issuance of a permit.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    I'm confused by this entire issue. I thought that the UFA only allowed a Sheriff's office to conduct a PICS/NICS check on an application, which only takes a few minutes each. Is this what we're talking about here?

Outside of the PICS/NICS, it was my understanding that neither the Sheriff's Office nor the municipal PDs have the right to perform a background check on an individual who's applying for an LTC.
    Then again the 2 references required in Berks aren't covered in the UFA either so I'm not sure the relevance of what is or what is not in the UFA as long as they do issue.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Montgomery County)

I am also new to forum and have been exploring a LTC permit at the suggestion of the range I go to.

I have gone on the Mont. County website and they do indicate that the permit is issued by the Sheriff's office, but they also say you must bring in a background check from your local police.

Does anyone have any experience in Montgomery County they can share. Also, do you need to get the application first, get the local check and pics, or do you just have that done separately. It says you need an application, but it is not clear if you pick up the application first.

I was going to call, but thought I would ask here first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast