Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Gunsmith Course

(Lackawanna County)

Default Gunsmith Course

Has anyone taken a course in Gunsmithing from AGI? What did you think, any opinions would be appreciated.

Default Re: Gunsmith Course

I've used some of heir courses as a learning tool but I'm going to b honest when I say I have learned more in YouTube and from others online then I did with their courses.

Bob Dunlap is an amazing gun smith his knowledge is unmatched in just about all things firearms but the videos are outdated, a bit boring and if you know absolutely nohing about guns then you will be scratching your head at times because some of the content isn't fully explained.

What were you lookin too done study?

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    I've used some of heir courses as a learning tool but I'm going to b honest when I say I have learned more in YouTube and from others online then I did with their courses.

Bob Dunlap is an amazing gun smith his knowledge is unmatched in just about all things firearms but the videos are outdated, a bit boring and if you know absolutely nohing about guns then you will be scratching your head at times because some of the content isn't fully explained.

What were you lookin too done study?
    I wouldn't say I know absolutely nothing, but I would like to get a better understanding of modern arms, probably just general repairs and maybe a bit more, Just putting a feeler out to get some opinions, and I appreciate your reply.

(Bucks County)

Some of the videos are out there if you know where to look. It might give you a better idea on how the agi videos work. I also think you can order a sampler video. As for out of date, how up to date do you need to be for working on a 1911 or an ar-15 or Rem 870.
    IANAL MPMO VIVA CUBA LIBRE

The pistol section starts off with the 1911 if you can understand, trouble shoot and repair 1911's then you can pretty much repair any modern pistol. There is a ton of information in it and it's long they offer a lot of info but it's not as visual as some basic youtube videos. It all really depends on how you learn some of us are hands on others can do it off words alone and others are visual.

(Berks County)

I have been a member of the AGI for about 20 years. Most courses pre-date youtube. Some are great...some so-so.

I have not "taken" a course from them, just bought a few of the CD's I wanted (of the many offered) for info. Plus I get the magazine. Lots of good info in them. I would check e-bay, they pop up time to time pretty cheap.

If you want to get into business as a smith and are looking at full time courses/schools there are essentially only 2 "real" schools in the nation worth anything, The PA one in Pittsburg, and the Colorado school of trades course. Both are pretty well regarded.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Lackawanna County)

Thanks for the replies, I'll be sure to check e-bay, and I'll have to look out for the magazine.
    And yes youtube covers a lot of good self help videos.

(York County)

Speaking of YouTube, TheAmmoChannel's "olducation" series of old service training films are entertaining as well as informative. The props are a bit cheezy, but they did an excellent job of demonstrating the evolution of modern firearms. I recommend checking them out.

(Monroe County)

Youtube is my go to and more.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Lackawanna County)

Thanks Rook and Rosco, I visit there often!