Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheels vs auto

(Philadelphia County)

Default Wheels vs auto

Anyone else find that they shoot revo better than auto ? Semi are faster but I think revo are more accurate f/me anyway.
    I'm thinking that for me the action of the slide takes me off target.Revo doesn't move and stays on point better.
    I also tend to shoot shorter barrels better than longer since I have less movement out at the muzzle. I've never shot hand guns past 50 yds. Anyone done longer distance comparison ?
    Handguns are like smoke detectors...one for every floor in your house.

Default Re: Wheels vs auto

I personally like shooting my revolver more then a pistol, but as for accuracy, i would say they are about the same.
    For all intent and purpose, over 50 yards, you should not be using a revolver or pistol. The handgun is made for close quarter combat. If you are thinking "hunting" where you would be further, there are people who do shoot further then that as a practice, but I dont think one can think in terms of "self defence" as any thing more then 30 ~40 feet, I mean how big is your house?
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Philadelphia County)

I personally can't shoot worth a darn with a revolver. Granted I've only shot maybe 100 rounds through one.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Chester County)

It depends on whether we're talking about single action bullseye type shooting or fast double action work.

For pure single action target shooting, I shoot my H&K P7M8 about as well as I shoot all revolvers SA. I don't shoot any autos (except for the P7) as well as I shoot a revolver SA.

For fast DA shooting, I'm as good with some wheelguns as I am with my P7.

My S&W 66 4" was tuned by Rick Devoid, of Tarnhelm Supply in NH. I can, setting all modestly aside, shoot the shit out of that gun. I can shoot almost full speed with it (with .38 loads) at 25 yards and keep the whole cylinder on the center upper torso. I think it's the gun, not me. Pretty good with my (untuned) 696 3" .44 Special, too.

My other revolvers are all lightweight snubbies in hot calibers that I can shoot fine inside of 12 yards DA, but anything outside that "at speed" is all over the place. I mean: I haven't met ANYONE who can shoot a S&W 340PD or 296 (with even target ammo) at speed and do "ok" by my measure.

If I had to rank my ability to shoot:

P7
    M66
    XD40
    M696

and then the rest of the guns that sit in my safe most of the time looking pretty.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(York County)

I think alot of it is personal preferences. I shoot better with my semi's better then my wheel's. I have a P89 and a Llama IXA, both are accurate. In wheel's I have a Taurus in .357 that I bought over 20 years ago, a JP Sauer SA in .38 both are good guns and I've never had a real problems with them, I just don't seem to be as accurate.

(Berks County)

I feel the same way as crazyyankee, I am much more accurate with any of my autoloaders than I am with my 686. That isn't to say that I dislike my 686 or that I don't like wheelguns, I'm just more accurate and more comfortable with my autos. I guess the better accuracy causes the increased comfort level, but that is a subject to address with a shrink and not with you guys.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by khanfam6 View Post
    Anyone else find that they shoot revo better than auto ? Semi are faster but I think revo are more accurate f/me anyway.
    I'm thinking that for me the action of the slide takes me off target.Revo doesn't move and stays on point better.
    I also tend to shoot shorter barrels better than longer since I have less movement out at the muzzle. I've never shot hand guns past 50 yds. Anyone done longer distance comparison ?
    I am pretty much in the same boat as you. Even though I prefer semi auto's, I am more accurate with revolver's, especially in SA mode. I think in my case its probably a combination of the generally better trigger and lack of a recoiling slide of the revolver.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

-- Thomas Jefferson

(Delaware County)

I'm in the same boat as you, I have an old S&W model 15 combat masterpiece in .38spl. that groups great for me, but I carry and shoot autos more often.
    In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps.

(Montgomery County)

I'm pretty good at double action shooting with both my Colt DS and GP100. The technique is so different between wheelgun and auto that to be any good , you must put in plenty of time shooting double action slowly, and gradually build up speed. I actually prefer wheelguns to autos, but autos have the edge in capacity and reloading speed, so I do have a few for carrying in certain circumstances.
    That addresses rapid fire.
    For plain ol' accuracy, especially over a distance, give me my .44 Super Blackhawk any time!

(Cumberland County)

I was all about semi-autos until I had a chance to make friends with the revolvers my wife bought. I found out they are really pleasant to shoot, get rid of all the bending over to police brass (I reload), and I do shoot them more accurately. I can put 6 shots into a 2" circle at 25' shooting her .38+P in her 6" 686 double action in 4 seconds. I can't do that with my Glock 19.

It's gotten to the point where I'm seriously considering getting one of the new S&W Performance Center 686 SSR (SSR = Stock Service Revolver) when it finally is on the market and using that for Action Pistol Competition at the local club. That's a heck of a revolver. Forged hammer and trigger, chamfered charge holes, recessed precision crown, tuned action - has me drooling it does.

Fitch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast