Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Question for those who shoot suppressed rifles

I recently bought two suppressors, an Osprey45 and a Specwar762. Of course the Osprey45 will be used primarily for 45 ACP, which is subsonic. The question I have concerns the suppressor for the rifle.

I initially thought I would get attachments for the suppressor for all of my rifles, 308, 5.56, and add an AR in 300 Blackout to the lineup. However, after doing a search and finding subsonic ammo for both 5.56 and 7.62, do I really need a 300 Blackout? Is there a distinct advantage in getting one?
    The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Question for those who shoot suppressed rifles

.300 Blackout is a lot quieter from what I seen. Check out videos on YouTube and also mostly all the silencer manufactures show the DB levels for each caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterInPA1 View Post
    I recently bought two suppressors, an Osprey45 and a Specwar762. Of course the Osprey45 will be used primarily for 45 ACP, which is subsonic. The question I have concerns the suppressor for the rifle.

I initially thought I would get attachments for the suppressor for all of my rifles, 308, 5.56, and add an AR in 300 Blackout to the lineup. However, after doing a search and finding subsonic ammo for both 5.56 and 7.62, do I really need a 300 Blackout? Is there a distinct advantage in getting one?

(Chester County)

Another thing to consider is that I have always heard that subsonic 5.56 can be difficult to come buy/expensive (or both) and the ability to cycle semi-auto rifles is an issue. The few commercially available 5.56 subsonic ammo I have found specifically said that it will not cycle semi-autos.

My plan is to get into 300 BO for suppressed shooting. I'll probably still use the 7.62 suppressor with supersonic 5.56 as there is some sound reduction but you still get the crack as the bullet breaks the sound barrier.

(Wyoming County)

There are a lot of folks here with way more ballistics knowledge than I, so someone may have experience to say differently but subsonic 5.56 will NOT cycle a semi-auto rifle. I loaded some of my own as an experiment. It is very quiet but essentially you are shooting expensive .22 long rifle, simply because of the velocity.

In comparison, (this is only my opinion) 300 blk subsonic is more like shooting a .45 in that you are most likely using 200 -220gn +/- going at subsonic speeds.
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

Quote Originally Posted by ftownkev View Post
    .300 Blackout is a lot quieter from what I seen. Check out videos on YouTube and also mostly all the silencer manufactures show the DB levels for each caliber.
    I guess my question concerns the ammo being used. From what I have seen, they use supersonic ammo and compare that to 300 blackout. Is 300 BLK really that much quieter if subsonic ammo is used for comparison guns?

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    There are a lot of folks here with way more ballistics knowledge than I, so someone may have experience to say differently but subsonic 5.56 will NOT cycle a semi-auto rifle. I loaded some of my own as an experiment. It is very quiet but essentially you are shooting expensive .22 long rifle, simply because of the velocity.

In comparison, (this is only my opinion) 300 blk subsonic is more like shooting a .45 in that you are most likely using 200 -220gn +/- going at subsonic speeds.
    That is precisely the impression I got after watching a hickok45 video.

(Wyoming County)

That is precisely the impression I got after watching a hickok45 video.
    Saw that video too, and thought he did a great job of explaining it.

ETA:

I had bought an AR pistol with a 7.5" barrel that quickly became a no-brainer for me to swap a 10.5" 300BLK barrel onto. So it wasn't like I bought a new gun. Just had to buy a new .30 silencer
    Last edited by ExFlyinguy; September 7th, 2015 at 01:43 PM.
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Lancaster County)

I guess my question concerns the ammo being used. From what I have seen, they use supersonic ammo and compare that to 300 blackout. Is 300 BLK really that much quieter if subsonic ammo is used for comparison guns?

300 blk is pretty much the quietest rifle round coming out of a AR (that will reliably cycle) But like most good things, subsonic 300blk isn't cheap. So do I shoot it every time I go out? No but it is fun every once in while