Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default BB/Pellet Gun Power

Overall Question: Will a BB/Pellet gun kill a brown rat? Particularly thinking about a Crossman pump, but a CO2 rifle is an option (assuming they still sell them).

Background: I have a tree line behind my house with a 55+ community on the other side of it. I have a bird/suet feeder back in the yard about 10 feet off the tree line and have recently noticed a good sized (bigger than a chipmunk but not quite squirrel size) brown rat causing trouble out there. I was amazed to see it climb a tree and scurry around branches with Bluejays chasing after it like crazy (yes, I swear it is a rat...). I have a "Havahart" trap out there trying to catch/relocate the little bastard but so far have caught a bird, chipmunk and had two false trap closures (it was tripped once with a rabbit sitting on top of the trap). Now, I don't like to kill animals, but my patience is wearing thin. This rat has got to go before reproducing. This is a nice little community with lots of houses so I checked with the local PD to ensure I won't get arrested if I waste the thing, but they said a BB/Pellet gun would never do it, and my .22 is certainly not an option (don't want to have any ricochets into the old folks). The PD recommended I beat the piss out of it with a shovel but that's not an option because he's a fast little rodent. So how 'bout some advice? Thanks!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: BB/Pellet Gun Power

In my experience from my younger days, I can honesty say yes, a crossman pump style pellet gun is capable of killing small rodents/animals.

"22 pumps on a crossman and it's time to play"
    Who can guess that song?

Pellet rifle may be a little more accurate and (fps) as fast as a .22

(Northampton County)

I thought that a decent BB/Pellet gun would do it, but the local cop said definitely not. Maybe he just doesn't want me shooting one in the yard here, but heck, it is private property and as long as I am responsible about the aiming I can't imagine that pegging a neighbor's house would be an issue.

(Montgomery County)

I would have to say Yes. I have a crossman pistol that I got from walmart for $70. The thing will shoot through glass.

(Lackawanna County)

The Crossman will Git r done. I took a bunch of squirrels and chipmunks with mine when I was a kid. Wish I still had it now for the pain in the ass crows around my house now.
    "Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription... is more cowbell!"

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by greasy View Post
    I would have to say Yes. I have a crossman pistol that I got from walmart for $70. The thing will shoot through glass.
    Funny you umention that. I recently inherited a 30 year old Crosman Model 38T .22 caliber CO2 Pellet pistol. The seals are unfortunately shot so it has to be sent in for repair... The pistol is in great shape though - can't wait to get the seals replaced. But a rifle will be needed before then...

(Somerset County)

I killed hundreds of big old barn rats as a kid on the farm with a Crosman pump .22 pellet rifle. Also killed rabbits and squirrels with it.
    NRA Benefactor

(Monroe County)

yeah it will, check out spring loaded pellet guns though, more accurate and only one pump gets er done. You can get them for a great price at Cabelas if you pick up the refurb units.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Perry County)

If you already have a 22LR rifle or pistol, you might want to give one of the powdererless "Aguila .22LR Colibri" rounds a try rather than buying a pellet gun. Only thing I'd worry about is that with a 22 rifle or pistol there is probably no question that you are discharging a gun. Might want to check your local ordinances.

Anyway, I picked up a few boxes of these awhile ago and they run fine in my Marlin 60 although they do not cycle semi-auto. Pretty much turns it into a bolt action. No louder than my old pump daisy pellet gun.

Aguila Colbri 375fps
    -or-
    Aguila "Super" Colbri 500fps.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast