Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Moving to Pittsburgh looking at Plum or Monroeville

Not to beat a dead horse here, but we are also strongly considering moving to Pittsburgh from central Kentucky. Not sure where we would move, depends on the schools, the taxes, if my current employer prefers a specific location to break up the geography of the territories assigned to the employees. We have family in the Murrysville area. We have seen the craziness of the tunnels plenty of times. I'm rooting for south, southeast i.e. Trafford, Greensburg, etc.
    Had a question for you all. Are there any townships/cities/counties where you can walk into your back yard and open fire if you feel like it? Here in Fayette county Kentucky you can't discharge a firearm other than at the indoor range at Bud's Gun Shop. All other counties pretty much are ok to shoot in your backyard other than those who have close neighbors that might get annoyed. How does that work in PA? I'll have to look and see how hard it will be to get whatever certification I need to ccw. Current ccw in Kentucky was pretty simple. Saturday class watching a video, then requirement to get something like 9 out of 16 shots anywhere on the target. (only one had shaky hands and failed). Looking forward (maybe) to all the outdoor offerings the area has to offer like close family, 7 springs, mountain biking, downtown Pburg, hockey games, etc.

Hoping to find a 4 bedroom plus basement 2500sq ft+ house with a decent private backyard yet with good schools. ~200,000 - 275,000 price range.

Thanks in advance for any insight

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by UrAvgGuy View Post
    Not to beat a dead horse here, but we are also strongly considering moving to Pittsburgh from central Kentucky. Not sure where we would move, depends on the schools, the taxes, if my current employer prefers a specific location to break up the geography of the territories assigned to the employees. We have family in the Murrysville area. We have seen the craziness of the tunnels plenty of times. I'm rooting for south, southeast i.e. Trafford, Greensburg, etc.
    Had a question for you all. Are there any townships/cities/counties where you can walk into your back yard and open fire if you feel like it? Here in Fayette county Kentucky you can't discharge a firearm other than at the indoor range at Bud's Gun Shop. All other counties pretty much are ok to shoot in your backyard other than those who have close neighbors that might get annoyed. How does that work in PA? I'll have to look and see how hard it will be to get whatever certification I need to ccw. Current ccw in Kentucky was pretty simple. Saturday class watching a video, then requirement to get something like 9 out of 16 shots anywhere on the target. (only one had shaky hands and failed). Looking forward (maybe) to all the outdoor offerings the area has to offer like close family, 7 springs, mountain biking, downtown Pburg, hockey games, etc.

Hoping to find a 4 bedroom plus basement 2500sq ft+ house with a decent private backyard yet with good schools. ~200,000 - 275,000 price range.

Thanks in advance for any insight

Welcome.

I can't comment on places where you can shoot in your back yard, but you'd likely need to be a fair distance outside the city.
    The thing with Pittsburgh though is that a 20 minute drive in almost any direction can put you in some rural settings.

As far as LTCF (License to Carry Firearms) requirements, there's no "test" or shooting requirement - PA is a "shall issue" state and as a resident, you need only be someone who is not prohibited and meets the other basic requirements on the application.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Washington County)

I live outside of West Newton and shooting in the backyard is 100% legal. The state, by default has no laws against the discharge of a firearm for recreation, and my township has no restrictions so I regularly shoot off my porch and the neighbors all around me don't mind the noise. Westmoreland county in general is gun friendly. Our sheriff is a big 2A supporter. He has a fundraiser pistol match every year. You're on the right track looking around the Greensburg area. I'm from the area so don't hesitate to contact me to learn more.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234