Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Moving to Pittsburgh looking at Plum or Monroeville

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    I've lived in Murrysville for almost 30 years and have loved it. Great community, low taxes, great schools. It's 3 miles past the turnpike in Monroeville. The ride into the burgh in the morning can be a bitch but give yourself a few extra minutes. If I were doing it over, I wouldn't change thing.

Define "a few".

(Westmoreland County)

15-20
    Captain

(Allegheny County)

So my wife just got back from Pittsburgh after looking at houses.

A very big Thank You\to all the Members who posted/emailed advice. You were much more helpful than our Realtor !

Based on Schools , my business and everything we decided on the South . You saved us from making a huge mistake and buying in Monroeville/Plum.

Only spotted one gun store Anthony Arms. They used to have a branch in South Florida were I sent
    my to learn pistol shooting after she got her CCW. Someone rushed into Range Area shouting that
    Sales person had shot himself trying to re-holster his pistol (glock 45acp). It took 2 years and a
    Special Edition pink Walther P22 with laser to get her shooting again.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Guard88 View Post
    So my wife just got back from Pittsburgh after looking at houses.

A very big Thank You\to all the Members who posted/emailed advice. You were much more helpful than our Realtor !

Based on Schools , my business and everything we decided on the South . You saved us from making a huge mistake and buying in Monroeville/Plum.

Only spotted one gun store Anthony Arms. They used to have a branch in South Florida were I sent
    my to learn pistol shooting after she got her CCW. Someone rushed into Range Area shouting that
    Sales person had shot himself trying to re-holster his pistol (glock 45acp). It took 2 years and a
    Special Edition pink Walther P22 with laser to get her shooting again.
    I know this thread is a bit old, but where in the South are you looking (unless you've already bought a house)?

I'm in Mt. Lebo, and the whole South Hills is a great area to live. Unlike the Eastern 'burbs, the property values in the South will rarely go down. Depending on where you're at, and where you need to get to, traffic can be either minimal or a nightmare.

There's a few gun stores around. Again, it all really depends on where you're at (the South Hills is a pretty big area, covering a lot of communities).
    - Anthony Arms (West Mifflin area) - Has their own range ($$$$) and people either love them or hate them.
    - Ace Sporting Goods (out 19 near I-70 in Washington County) Lots of firearm inventory, as well asa good selection of hunting, archery, etc supplies. Good shop.
    - Pittsburgh Tactical Firearms (McKeesport area, but not real far if your in/around West Mifflin) Good guys to deal with
    - Iron City Armory (Heidelberg area) Never been inside
    - JMD Defense (Peter's Township, on 19) Nice little shop, and very friendly
    - Show Precision Guns (Bridgeville) Never been inside, but looks to be a nice shop
    - And I'm sure there's a few others I can't think of

There are a few of us out here, south of town. Just ask, and we can surely tell you the best places to eat, drink, shoot, shop, bypass traffic, or whatever.

(Allegheny County)

Guard88, if you're going to be in the area on October 24, you're more than welcome to join us at the pafoa group shoot.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=267944

It's not a competitive shoot, just a way for people on the forum to meet up in person and shoot.
    Lots of good people. And more importantly, BACON will be cooked/served right there on the range.

Hope your move is going smoothly and please do come on out to the group shoot if you can!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Hi Jaseman we're waiting to close on a house in "Southpark' which
    Realtors call the area but on maps its Pittsburgh , east of Mount Lebanon
    no trains..

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Guard88, if you're going to be in the area on October 24, you're more than welcome to join us at the pafoa group shoot.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=267944

It's not a competitive shoot, just a way for people on the forum to meet up in person and shoot.
    Lots of good people. And more importantly, BACON will be cooked/served right there on the range.

Hope your move is going smoothly and please do come on out to the group shoot if you can!
    Emptymag thank you for the invitation but I'll still be in Florida. Hate to miss the good company, shooting and bacon.

I would really like to attend the shoot, I have a couple of C&R rifles that need shooting,

(Allegheny County)

Emptymag thank you for the invitation but I'll still be in Florida. Hate to miss the good company, shooting and bacon.

I would really like to attend the shoot, I have a couple of C&R rifles that need shooting,

Another time then perhaps.
    There may be other options available where you will be moving to, but If you ever want to take a look at PMSC or just want to go shooting as a guest, I could show you around. I've been a member there since around 2006.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Hi Jaseman we're waiting to close on a house in "Southpark' which
    Realtors call the area but on maps its Pittsburgh , east of Mount Lebanon
    no trains..
    South Park's a nice area. You'll be just a mile or three from me (depending on where - S. Park is a pretty big area). Don't hesitate to PM me when you get settled in. I'll gladly take you as a guest over to my club (restrictive rules, but nice and close to us). I can also give you any info about the general area - shopping, food, how to get around, or whatever.

Welcome to the 'Burgh!

(Allegheny County)

The tunnels are just part of the local charm. You want to come here, so you obviously don't mind living in suboptimal conditions. I say go ahead and buy a place in Plum and enjoy the suck to the fullest extent possible.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast