Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Which hunting rifle would you recommend?

I sold my only hunting rifle years ago when it went off when dropped ( I sold it for 1/4 of my cost to buy it) And I didn't hunt for years so I didn't need to replace it.
    It was browning Abolt stalker .375H&H stainless boss (I sold it as defective for only $150 years ago)

Now I'm going to hunt this year and I want to buy just one hunting rifle ( I don't want to spend more than $5000)
    I already have a scope for it Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x50 LR Mil dot

Which caliber can cover the widest range of hunting animals in North America ?

Bolt , lever, .....etc ?

Thanks

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Which hunting rifle would you recommend?

Bolt action. As for chambering there are two Jack of all trades chamberings. .30-06 for North America, .375 H&H for the World.

(Perry County)

I'm a big fan of the .300 Win Mag. I had a Sako 85M that I hate myself for selling. The smoothest bolt action I've ever felt. I will buy another one. The previous mentioned rifle was in .300 WSM but the new one will be .300 Win Mag. Of course, with a budget of $5000 and already having the scope, you have almost limitless choices of rifles I've never looked into like Surgeon and other high end customs.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Chester County)

$5000.00!?!??

BUY ANYTHING!

If you're looking for a realistic solution, you can buy a tricked out Rem 700 or Savage 10 for around $1000.00 in whatever caliber you'd like.

(Mercer County)

IMHO. If looking for one chambering to hunt most all North American game animals I would go with the 338 Win Mag and your scope would be a great match for SAKO 85 Safari Rifle
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Bucks County)

I'm going to assume theres an extra zero and he meant $500. Buying new, kind of limits you to a good savage or the plastic stocked budget guns from ruger or Remington. For a wide range of game, you can't beat the .30-06. Mild recoil, easily available fairly cheap ammo. For most game, 165's and 180's will serve you well. Having said that, buying a lightly used gun can get you a more desirable and IMO, a better looking Ruger M77, Winchester 70 or Remington 700 with a nice wood stock. Be warned, lots of opinions on caliber, but I've read the limit for most average shooters is the .30-06. Go much heavier and novice shooters can develop some bad habits that are hard to break. Now, if you want to go lever action, can get a marlin lever chambered in the 338 marlin express. Similar ballistics as the 06, but packaged in a tube fed lever action shooting the lever evolution ammo from hornady.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by hunterdan View Post
    I'm going to assume theres an extra zero and he meant $500. Buying new, kind of limits you to a good savage or the plastic stocked budget guns from ruger or Remington. For a wide range of game, you can't beat the .30-06. Mild recoil, easily available fairly cheap ammo. For most game, 165's and 180's will serve you well. Having said that, buying a lightly used gun can get you a more desirable and IMO, a better looking Ruger M77, Winchester 70 or Remington 700 with a nice wood stock. Be warned, lots of opinions on caliber, but I've read the limit for most average shooters is the .30-06. Go much heavier and novice shooters can develop some bad habits that are hard to break. Now, if you want to go lever action, can get a marlin lever chambered in the 338 marlin express. Similar ballistics as the 06, but packaged in a tube fed lever action shooting the lever evolution ammo from hornady.
    Nope, he's selling Barrett semi-auto .50 BMGs. He has $5000 for a rifle. That's why the "which rifle" question is downright silly given the almost limitless availability of rifles in his budget.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Bucks County)

I stand corrected. For $5000, that's entering custom rifle territory. And adds to the question, why just buy one multipurpose rifle, and not get 2 or 3 rifles that are better suited for the task at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterdan View Post
    I stand corrected. For $5000, that's entering custom rifle territory. And adds to the question, why just buy one multipurpose rifle, and not get 2 or 3 rifles that are better suited for the task at hand.
    Why one rifle:
    1- get 100% used to the rifle for deer, bear and elk
    2- don't have to buy a scond optic or sight it in .
    3- I don't hunt small game and I'm not planing on going to Africa to hunt elephants
    4- I don't hunt that often.
    5- there are no fear of hunting rifles ban to start to stock pile them.

So I believe one rifle can suit me , not sure if I should buy .375H&H again or should I buy one of your recommended calibers (.300wm , .338wm, ...etc)
    I'm not expert in hunting rifles, last rifle I bought years ago (A Bolt ) was recommended for me.

A couple people here mentioned SAKO, is that a Japanese, is it controlled feed ?

Thanks

(Perry County)

Finnish

http://www.sako.fi/ http://www.sako.fi/rifles/sako-85

ACTION
    Sako 85 actions come in six different sizes (CSA), providing reliable functioning for each caliber. All Sako 85 models feature controlled cartridge feed (RCS) to eliminate double feed or cartridge jams. The turn-bolt handle places the hand in a natural position during bolt operation, which allows for rapid repeated firing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast