Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Dauphin County)

Default Glock Conversions - need some advice

Hello everyone,
    First of all, as a new member let me just take this opportunity to thank everyone for all of the help and advice that I have been provided since I joined this website. It's amazing to me how people are willing to share knowledge just to help out their fellow man and for that - you guys are awesome.

Now to the actual issue at hand. I've got a Glock 21 gen 4 with a conversion kit that allows it to shoot 10mm as well. The "conversion kit" includes a modified extractor, a heavier recoil spring, and a barrel manufactured by KKM. I know a lot of people are going to say "if you want a 10mm buy a 10mm" but I really dont "need" a 10mm so I'm not really willing to spend any more money on a gun that only shoots 10mm.

My question to everyone is this. Does anyone else have a converted glock 21, if you do, do you trust it? Have you had fail to feed issues? Extraction issues?
    Vote Hillary for Prison 2016

(Chester County)

Default Re: Glock Conversions - need some advice

Quote Originally Posted by BallisticSheepDog76 View Post
    Hello everyone,
    First of all, as a new member let me just take this opportunity to thank everyone for all of the help and advice that I have been provided since I joined this website. It's amazing to me how people are willing to share knowledge just to help out their fellow man and for that - you guys are awesome.

Now to the actual issue at hand. I've got a Glock 21 gen 4 with a conversion kit that allows it to shoot 10mm as well. The "conversion kit" includes a modified extractor, a heavier recoil spring, and a barrel manufactured by KKM. I know a lot of people are going to say "if you want a 10mm buy a 10mm" but I really dont "need" a 10mm so I'm not really willing to spend any more money on a gun that only shoots 10mm.

My question to everyone is this. Does anyone else have a converted glock 21, if you do, do you trust it? Have you had fail to feed issues? Extraction issues?
    I say shoot it and find out for yourself (assuming the kit was designed for this purpose and it's safe to do so). Only way to deem a gun reliable is to run it, run it, and run it again. Track FTF/FTE and the other common failures. I've found that conversion kits can be hit or miss. Some can run 100% while some can run like shit.
    I'm only here for the wood c-rings.

Quote Originally Posted by BallisticSheepDog76 View Post
    Hello everyone,

Do you know what the stock recoil spring is vs the one included in the kit?

I converted a 1911 from 45acp to 45Super via experimenting with recoil springs. Hopefully thats already done for you.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by ianb1116 View Post
    I say shoot it and find out for yourself (assuming the kit was designed for this purpose and it's safe to do so). Only way to deem a gun reliable is to run it, run it, and run it again. Track FTF/FTE and the other common failures. I've found that conversion kits can be hit or miss. Some can run 100% while some can run like shit.
    I ran half of a box of "ARMSCOR USA 180 gr full metal jacket." and a full box of "American Eagle 180gr" and experienced a single fail to eject (actually it happened to my buddy). I should have included that in the OP. My apologies for the miscommunication. I am new to forums, still learning the ropes. Next time I'll be more detailed.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by BenFoo View Post
    Do you know what the stock recoil spring is vs the one included in the kit?

I converted a 1911 from 45acp to 45Super via experimenting with recoil springs. Hopefully thats already done for you.
    Factory standard on the G21 is 17lb. The one I purchased to complete the "kit" was (I think) 20lbs. It's stainless steel and has an adapter to fit the gen 4.

(Chester County)

I still say shoot it as much as possible. Only repitition and experimentation will tell if it will be a reliable carry/home defense gun. Have fun while doing it! Challenge not only yourself, but the gun as well. Double taps, tap rack bang, etc will likely expose any issues.

(Dauphin County)

Will do. I'll repost and let everyone know how it goes. I'll try to snap some pics as well. Putting the conversion kit back in my gun tonight (been carrying it in .45 IWB - God I love wearing jerseys in the summer).