Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Beretta 21

Default Beretta 21

What can you guys tell me about these. My lgs has one in stock and it's got me thinking but is it worth it? Should I just get a target gun or an SR 22?

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Beretta 21

What do you want to do with it?

I had one, it wasn't a bad little pocket pistol. .22 is not generally recommended by most for a carry gun.

If you just want to punch paper there are better choices that are more pleasant to shoot, like a Ruger Mark...

The Beretta I may carry but most likely not I'm looking for something fun.

(Berks County)

Last ditch back up, I would go with that in 25acp.

Centerfire round, so no issues with fail to fire.

You can dry fire it without damaging the barrel and getting failure to ejects.

Wallet holster for it and in the back pocket it goes.
    gotta love her ;)

(Jefferson County)

I wouldn't call them target guns, but they are pretty good pocket pistols.

I have one in .25ACP. Plenty accurate. I can put all 10rds(9+1) into a standard paper plate at 10-15ft in rapid fire. Mec-Gar mags hold 9rds. Factory .25ACP mags hold 8rds, but you can trim the "down leg" of the follower to allow a 9th round and still have a little spring squish so not to over-compress it.

Factory .22LR mags hold 7rds.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    I wouldn't call them target guns, but they are pretty good pocket pistols.

I have one in .25ACP. Plenty accurate. I can put all 10rds(9+1) into a standard paper plate at 10-15ft in rapid fire. Mec-Gar mags hold 9rds. Factory .25ACP mags hold 8rds, but you can trim the "down leg" of the follower to allow a 9th round and still have a little spring squish so not to over-compress it.

Factory .22LR mags hold 7rds.
    ^^^ this^^^
    I picked one up in .25 last year and it has become a regular companion in my pocket. Plenty accurate for a pocket gun and easy to fire quickly.

(Jefferson County)

Oh, one thing you have to get over if you have a problem with the design - they do not have extractors.

They use the final bit of pressure and recoil energy to extract the case. ...which is why you must keep the chambers clean with the 21A Bobcats. ...there is no hook(extractor) pulling out the case.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Oh, one thing you have to get over if you have a problem with the design - they do not have extractors.

They use the final bit of pressure and recoil energy to extract the case. ...which is why you must keep the chambers clean with the 21A Bobcats. ...there is no hook(extractor) pulling out the case.
    Years this is what's kept me from buying one. Not that it would be a SD gun but it may have to be and I'm leaning towards a target pistol or training gun.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    Years this is what's kept me from buying one. Not that it would be a SD gun but it may have to be and I'm leaning towards a target pistol or training gun.
    Other than a Iver Johnson 22 revolver, my 21A has been one of my most fired handguns in the past 10 years. ...not one hiccup.

I too had concerns about that design, but after shooting it several times - I no longer worry about it.