Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default ASR rifle TNW firearms

Anyone have one or know anything about them? I stopped at the new building of New Holland Sportsman Shop and it caught my eye.

It takes Glock mags, you can switch barrels and switch calibers, .22 - 45 acp I think.
    Supposedly it's well built and not a jam o matic. I like the idea of having a rifle/pistol combo

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: ASR rifle TNW firearms

I'm in for more info. I've never seen these before, but I like them. The msrp ($800) seemed high, but it looks like the street price is significantly lower. I'm not crazy about the cheap scope they put on it - a quick search suggests it's either an AIM or a NCstar. I think I'd rather have a cheaper price and irons or no sights, so I could put my own scope on it.

Just looked it up. Seems very interesting, especially the rifle package that includes barrels and bolt faces for 9mm, 40 S&W and 45 ACP. And considering I already own Glocks in all three calibers...I got plenty of magazines.

(Lancaster County)

The ones I saw were priced at $699. Still kind of high in my opinion. Handling it it seemed well built. I read up on them and most say they are reliable and any bugs have been worked out

I agree about irons and a better scope or just being able to choose your own.

Supposedly they're going to get one in for range use. If they do I'll be asking about how they ran and maybe try for myself.

From what Ive read over the years about TNW, stay away from their products. They were big on the fifty cals at one point, the guys used to call them, Totally Negligent Weapons. Kind of like century arms. Hit or miss.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    From what Ive read over the years about TNW, stay away from their products. They were big on the fifty cals at one point, the guys used to call them, Totally Negligent Weapons. Kind of like century arms. Hit or miss.
    My Suomi I got from them had to go back for various issues. However to be fair on that one, they were integrating historical 70-80 year old well worn and used parts from WW2 and with new 922r parts and without that we wouldn't have the firearm and a chance to somewhat preserve that history. So you kinda of knew that going in that it was never going to be like a brand new AR or AK and run like a train.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch10mm View Post
    The ones I saw were priced at $699. Still kind of high in my opinion. Handling it it seemed well built. I read up on them and most say they are reliable and any bugs have been worked out

I agree about irons and a better scope or just being able to choose your own.

Supposedly they're going to get one in for range use. If they do I'll be asking about how they ran and maybe try for myself.
    My buddy has one and it's a good shooter. His only gripe is no flash hider and not threaded for one either. Personally, I don't like the needle barrel or the reciprocating bolt. Prefer AR style so I bought an Olympic K9-GL from Tombstone. More expensive but worth it to me since it's almost identical to standard AR platform. I ditched the front sight post and handguards, put some magpul furniture on it, and a super slim handguard that I duracoated to match.

9mmAR1_zpsr9cx7ufv.jpg

(Lancaster County)

I was thinking of it as a shtf scenario/novelty. For the price, one caliber and same mags and can be broken down and put in a bag. The ones they had were a fairly short barrel. I forget the length now but with the stock completely collapsed it was very compact without removing the barrel.

I have a bunch of mags, my G19 is my everyday carry. I might put one on lay away. The recent, last few years of write ups and reviews are all positive.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by ontheborder View Post
    My buddy has one and it's a good shooter. His only gripe is no flash hider and not threaded for one either. Personally, I don't like the needle barrel or the reciprocating bolt. Prefer AR style so I bought an Olympic K9-GL from Tombstone. More expensive but worth it to me since it's almost identical to standard AR platform. I ditched the front sight post and handguards, put some magpul furniture on it, and a super slim handguard that I duracoated to match.

9mmAR1_zpsr9cx7ufv.jpg
    The Oly probably makes a better AR trainer and dedicated 9mm setup, but I don't think it would fit the same role that the ASR would. As Mitch said, this would make a great SHTF rifle or backpacking rifle. The ability to change calibers so easily means a better chance of being able to pick up ammo and being able to use it during the zombie apocalypse.

I was just watching a video about the ASR, and they said you can order it with a threaded muzzle from the factory. Every time I look at this thing I feel a stronger urge to buy one. My gun budget is shot for the year though.